Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 5th Feb 18, 11:02 PM
    • 13,276Posts
    • 12,339Thanks
    jimjames
    ESE Solar Panel Free Health Check
    • 5th Feb 18, 11:02 PM
    ESE Solar Panel Free Health Check 5th Feb 18 at 11:02 PM
    Received a letter today marked "Important" from a company called ESE.

"Our records indicate you haven't received your free health check and service on your system and your warranty may be due to expire. Please contact our team to validate your warranty and book your health check"

The company is nothing to do with the installer of our system and I'm guessing is on a sales pitch to sell some sort of warranty. Quite what a health check on non maintenance panels will involve I don't know. Maybe I'm being too skeptical but the letter doesn't fill me with confidence. I'd hope if it was a genuine company it wouldn't be inducing some form of fault that then requires their assistance.

It also seems to suggest replacing inverters that are 5 years old with a new one with a 20 year warranty.

Has anyone had any similar contact from them?
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
Page 3
    • KevinG
    • By KevinG 14th Mar 19, 9:28 AM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 4,660 Thanks
    KevinG
    As a new user I cannot post a link so search for "Consumer Guidance Fraud Alert: British Trading Solar Association".
    Originally posted by thetrainengineer
    Link: https://www.microgenerationcertification.org/consumer-guidance-fraud-alert-british-trading-solar-association/
    Baxi Ecogen 24/1.0 Micro-CHP boiler installed Oct-2010; 2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37 pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017.
    • steveb_online
    • By steveb_online 19th Mar 19, 8:53 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    steveb_online
    BTSA (11249569) and ESE (09825685) are related through ESE Group Holdings (11036817). ESE received a legal cease and desist order but appealed which means they can continue mail outs. This scam should be shut down and the Directors prosecuted. Beware anything associated with ESE/BTSA and, no doubt, other related shells that will pop up in the future.
    • MP2017rach
    • By MP2017rach 11th Apr 19, 7:54 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    MP2017rach
    They sent a letter to my mother but luckily I managed to prevent them going any further.
    Luckily or unluckily for ESE I work as an investigator on consumer affairs and along with a colleague we have decided to spend some spare time on this.

With so many industry organisations warning about ESE Services through fraud alterts, it is only a matter of time until this company goes too far.
    • Niv
    • By Niv 15th Apr 19, 3:24 PM
    • 1,830 Posts
    • 1,628 Thanks
    Niv
    Just received a letter from BTSA offering a grant for various systems as I am off gas.

I was doing some googling of the company to check them out and stumbled across this thread. I could not find a website for them, seems dodgy to me.

Pretty bad that they link to an ofgem page to convince you it is genuine too!

Bin time!
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
    • snilloct1957
    • By snilloct1957 1st May 19, 3:16 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    snilloct1957
    ESE Energy = BTS Energy
    Received a letter today from BTS Energy, offering a "free health check and service" on my solar panels. Be aware that this company operates from the same road and postcode in Liverpool that ESE Energy operate from. The format and font of the letter is exactly the same as ESE and offers the same "free deal" as the previous company. They are trying it on again with a different company after they were exposed on this forum for being rip-off artists. I've reported this to Gemserve; if you get a letter, bin it and enjoy your life.
    • legoman62
    • By legoman62 1st May 19, 5:05 PM
    • 2,929 Posts
    • 15,338 Thanks
    legoman62
    Received a letter today from BTS Energy, offering a "free health check and service" on my solar panels. Be aware that this company operates from the same road and postcode in Liverpool that ESE Energy operate from. The format and font of the letter is exactly the same as ESE and offers the same "free deal" as the previous company. They are trying it on again with a different company after they were exposed on this forum for being rip-off artists. I've reported this to Gemserve; if you get a letter, bin it and enjoy your life.
    Originally posted by snilloct1957
    I also received a letter from them today. Already binned it
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28 pitch.
    Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. N.E Lincs Coast. Hybrid car
    • snilloct1957
    • By snilloct1957 3rd May 19, 3:53 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    snilloct1957
    Report to Action Fraud
    Update on my post of 1st May:-
    I have today emailed a letter to Action Fraud, detailing the experiences and observations of all who have posted on the subject of ESE Consultants and BT Solar Ltd. I haven't passed on any addresses or contact details of any poster, but I have gleaned info from their posts to present a document for investigation by Action Fraud. I also contacted Trading Standards, CAB, MCS and Gemserve about their activities. If that doesn't stop them, nothing will!
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 8th May 19, 1:13 PM
    • 5,597 Posts
    • 21,563 Thanks
    Merlin139
    Just had one of these letters so decided to ring them up and see what they are offering.

Amazed that they can say my warranty on my inverter has run out which is information they obtained from a Licensed database! No details of which inverter, but she said it was over 5 years old but its not!

If your system is above 4 kWp then they will not cover it as its must be commercial. The lady I spoke too was reading off a script and knew only the basics about Solar PV.

I gave a false name a low and behold it was the same as her husbands! Go figure same first name and surname!

I asked about my free Health check and Service and she said it could take up to a year to get it. All they want to do is sell something at 19.99 a month or 240 a year, or 425 per 2 years, or 800 for 4 years.

My bet is that you would get nothing for your money.

When I put it to her that they were ESE under a different name as they were offering the same non existent free health check and service, she called for assistance. I said that I had recorded the call and I would be passing the information on to Action Fraud and Trading Standards and they put the phone down on me.

Additionally:

ESE Have now changed their name to ESE GROUP LTD.
    3.975 kWp PV SolarEdge System South Facing 10% Shading Installed 21 May 2014 Located in Mid East Yorkshire.
    • misscanon
    • By misscanon 14th May 19, 8:45 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    misscanon
    Don't know if this is a similar scam, I received an email from this outfit yesterday.

"As you will be aware, after your installation you were issued with an MCS Certificate.

The MCS (Microgeneration Certification Scheme) is a nationally recognised quality assurance scheme, supported by the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS).

MCS has now launched a nationwide campaign of independent site inspections to evaluate how customer protection is being assured.

GTEC have been contracted by MCS to inspect a sample of renewable energy installations across the UK to ensure that the quality and compliance of the installations are in line with the Scheme regulations and standards required.

We would very much like to gather feedback on your experience as a customer, granting us permission to obtain this information from you would support these efforts greatly."

Anyone else recieved similar?
    • sparkysi
    • By sparkysi 15th May 19, 9:10 AM
    • 67 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    sparkysi
    I work as an installer and this is a plague of the next line of PV scammers. Unfortunately a couple of my clients have fallen for this and its ended up costing them a lot of money for no reason at all.

First line of call should always be your original installer, failing that, the MCS and RECC are there for a reason, use them. Lastly, and frankly the most obvious, if your system is generating ok, look at the total amount generated since installation, look at your MCS certificate for its annual generation estimate, if it all looks to add up about right, then all good.
    • Hexane
    • By Hexane 15th May 19, 10:49 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    Hexane
    Don't know if this is a similar scam, I received an email from this outfit yesterday.

"As you will be aware, after your installation you were issued with an MCS Certificate.

The MCS (Microgeneration Certification Scheme) is a nationally recognised quality assurance scheme, supported by the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS).

MCS has now launched a nationwide campaign of independent site inspections to evaluate how customer protection is being assured.

GTEC have been contracted by MCS to inspect a sample of renewable energy installations across the UK to ensure that the quality and compliance of the installations are in line with the Scheme regulations and standards required.

We would very much like to gather feedback on your experience as a customer, granting us permission to obtain this information from you would support these efforts greatly."

Anyone else recieved similar?
    Originally posted by misscanon

I received one of these too, and was surprised to find out that it is in fact legitimate and is not a scam. Check on MCS own website and it is currently second item down on their "News and Alerts" page, dated April 29, 2019, "MCS Launch Nationwide Audit of Installations". It specifically mentions these GTEC people.

The wording was sufficiently glowing that I can understand people being suspicious of it! It is of course optional, so whether it is worth taking up if you believe your installation is fine and you got everything you wanted from the installer... seems uncertain.
    7.25 kWp PV system (4.1kW WSW & 3.15kW ENE), Solis inverter, myenergi eddi & harvi for energy diversion to immersion heater. myenergi hub for Virtual Power Plant demand-side response trial.
    • PoppysPal
    • By PoppysPal 26th May 19, 11:53 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    PoppysPal
    BTS Solar Ltd
    A company similar to this one mailed me a couple of years ago with the same "warning". I was almost taken in, but fortunately, googled it and got numerous warnings from other people who had been targeted. It is most definitely a scam; DO NOT get taken in. They are simply out to make money from unwary people by telling them that work needs to be done to fix "problems" with their solar panel system. There are more likely to be problems if anyone allows this company near their panels.
    • hazbo
    • By hazbo 6th Jun 19, 2:21 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    hazbo
    Hi I have just reserved a letter from a BT SOLAR LTD. With
    the same wording and I think like you. It's a scam. I will not be calling them at 08000472985 free phone no or not. If your solar system needs
    attention find a reputable company in your area.
    • hazbo
    • By hazbo 6th Jun 19, 3:00 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    hazbo
    I have just received a letter from a BT SOLAR LTD with the same wording. Offering a free health check on my system.Hoping I will
    be daft enough to call them on 08000472985 I wasn't born yesterday.
    Scammers!
    • snilloct1957
    • By snilloct1957 6th Jun 19, 6:26 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    snilloct1957
    Scam Central
    I have just received a letter from a BT SOLAR LTD with the same wording. Offering a free health check on my system.Hoping I will
    be daft enough to call them on 08000472985 I wasn't born yesterday.
    Scammers!
    Originally posted by hazbo
    Thank you for your useful contribution. If you like, you can post their phone number on who-called.co.uk and warn others of their scam.
    • cckathmandu
    • By cckathmandu 8th Jul 19, 10:32 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    cckathmandu
    Has anyone received a call from a company called Genmar? My mother says she received a call from them today about a free health check for her solar panels. Her panels were installed by My Planet which later went bust I believe, and the man who called her seemed to know (or guess?) that her panels were installed by My Planet. He said they took over the insurance/warranty from My Planet, he mentioned something about HIES, & said this policy would expire without a 'health check', which would be free.

All sounds very fishy to me, but my mother agreed for someone to come and they are supposedly coming to look at the panels in a couple of days. I see there are loads of scams along these lines. I can't find anything online about GENMAR (odd in itself)
    • pinnks
    • By pinnks 8th Jul 19, 11:08 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 1,560 Thanks
    pinnks
    Not heard of them but why would anyone invite a cold calling firm round, whatever reason they give? I would advise mother to be very cautious as the whole concept of health checks is nonsense. Personally I would cancel the appointment and not let them anywhere near my propoerty
    Wiltshire - 5.25kWp
    3.5kWp: 14 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 4000TL, WSW 40 degrees, June 2013
    1.75kWp: 7 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 1600TL, SSE 45 degrees, March 2014
    • snilloct1957
    • By snilloct1957 9th Jul 19, 12:18 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    snilloct1957
    The fact that Genmar are offering "a free health check", a ploy used by ESE and others to gain access to an OP's home raises a big question mark as to their intentions and reasons for doing so. I would give this company a very wide berth and do more checks online before committing to anything they offer. Do you have a phone number for them? Run it through an online search engine and see if anybody else has received a phone call. Have the MCS or Gemserve any info?

Update:- I've sent an email to Gemserve, asking if they have any info on this outfit, will post here when I get a reply.
    Last edited by snilloct1957; 10-07-2019 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Further info
    • be2st
    • By be2st 9th Jul 19, 2:16 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    be2st
    I've just received the same letter. Luckily I checked this thread first.
    • cckathmandu
    • By cckathmandu 9th Jul 19, 10:01 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    cckathmandu
    Thanks for the replies. I advised my mum to cancel the appointment and she did so when they called again today to confirm their visit.
    She initially agreed to the visit I think because she is worried the panels are supposed to be checked once in a while (my dad recently passed away and he used to take care of all this stuff) and she is worried because the installers are no longer in business. I am reassured to hear you say 'the whole concept of health checks is nonsense' - I told her that if the panels are working fine then best to leave alone. She has no phone number for the company that called unfortunately.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,863Posts Today

4,573Users online

Martin's Twitter