Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • viccig
    • By viccig 3rd May 06, 11:56 AM
    • 248Posts
    • 148Thanks
    viccig
    Cooking gammon for tea
    • 3rd May 06, 11:56 AM
    Cooking gammon for tea 3rd May 06 at 11:56 AM
    Hi, I bought 2 packs of two gammon steaks from liddle @ 99p per pack I was going to cook and serve with pineapple rings. Problem is im not the most imaginative of cooks and
    a) dont know the best way to cook gammon (like i would bacon??) and
    b) what on earth should i serve with them? im really trying to get into the home cooked meals thing, but my basic collection of recipes are simply that - basic and i never know what to cook as a side/veg. Any help v much appreciated, thanks
    Vicky
Page 5
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 8th Jun 10, 12:33 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Princess Vix,

As said previously, if you soak them in cold water for a couple of hours that will help to remove the saltiness. I wouldn't be keen on cooking them in the slow cooker as if they're cooked for too long they can become tough and stringy.

These earlier threads have lots of ideas that may help with cooking them:

Exciting things with gammon????

What can I do with one gammon steak?

I'll add your thread to the first link later to keep the ideas together.

Pink
    • budgetboo
    • By budgetboo 14th Apr 11, 2:43 PM
    • 193 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    budgetboo
    gammon slices
    I have 2 uncooked gammon slices in the fridge and 4 peeps for dinner today and tomorrow. Below is my cunning plan to avoid a tesco's run where I go in intending to spend a fiver and come out having spent 20. However I don't eat pork so need your wise heads to help me cook the darn stuff.

Menu

Tonight - gammon and pineapple pizza + roasted veg side dish.
    Tomorrow - gammon, pea and spinach in white sauce individual pastry pies with tats and carrots.

My question:-

The packet says to grill them for 10-12 minutes. This would be fine if I wasn't trying to stretch them to the max.

Can I pop raw pieces on the pizzas and in the pie or should I grill them for 10 minutes first before I chop em up to stretch them out? I'm trying to economise, not poison anyone!

Thanks!
  • Aarons mummy
    I think they would be fine popped on raw especially as they'll be cooking in the oven but tbh if it were me I'd grill them for a bit less than they require first so they get finished off in the oven. Especially in the pies.

I've not tried it though so maybe someone else will have better advice
    Credit Card: 796 Left/900 October 2011
    Store Card: 100 October 2011
    Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100
    No Buying Toiletries 2012
  • firstinflight
    I've put raw bacon lardons on pizza before and it's been fine. If the gammon is chopped up into really small pieces then 15-20 mins in a hot oven (i.e. pizza cooking time) should be plenty.

Pie, i'm not so sure about, i think it depends a lot on how you're making them and how long they're being cooked for. To be safe, i'd probably chop them up and then just sweat the pieces in a frying pan for a few minutes until they're cooked through.

I'd probably favour that over grilling as it's less likely to dry the meat out.
  • SunshineBear
    I'd cook them for both, don't like the idea of slow cooked bacon in a pie!
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 14th Apr 11, 10:28 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    exciting things with gammon has loads of ideas

ill merge this later on

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• imogen-p
    • By imogen-p 14th Apr 11, 10:37 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    imogen-p
    If the pizza is going in for more than the 10-12mins grilling time the gammon, and along as it's cut fairly fine should be okay. It probably would be okay cooking in the pie as well, but I'd probably fry it off first myself, as it tends to improve the flavour of it.
    Unofficial Debt Free Wannabee.
    April 2010. Loan 1 4650 Loan 2 1140 credit card 332 overdraft 1475

Oct 2011. Loan 1 3400 Loan 2 0 Credit Card 199 Overdraft 800

Oct 2011. Loan 1 0 Loan 2 0 Credit Card 0 Overdraft 0
    • caitybabes
    • By caitybabes 15th Apr 11, 10:24 AM
    • 437 Posts
    • 1,245 Thanks
    caitybabes
    Yeah I'd probably chop it and fry the pieces a bit to get them started (or tbh I'd probably do them til they're nearly cooked, then let them cool, ready to chuck them on pizza or in pie.)
    • epskie
    • By epskie 21st Jul 12, 1:22 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    epskie
    Gammon steaks..... with something other than egg and chips???
    Hi, does anybody have any nice ideas for gammon steaks? We always have gammon, egg and chips but I was trying to think of something different for tonight?

Thanks
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 21st Jul 12, 1:28 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    ohhh i had gammon egg and chips very recently. Tasty!!!! you could always chop the gammon up and use it that way - the options are limitless!!!

our leftover gammon thread has heaps of ideas. Let us know what you decide and we will merge this later

What about some sort of gammon egg fried rice? I also have a recipe for an egg and gammon loaf you could serve with salad or something.

Zip

• MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 21st Jul 12, 1:29 PM
    • 13,867 Posts
    • 188,216 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Gammon is nice with tinned peaches, and you could team that up with a Jacket Potato or potato salad and either some green beans or a mixed salad. It is also nice with apple sauce and savoury rice. I have also enjoyed a gammon steak with sliced apple and cheese on top flashed under the grill until golden (cook the gammon first of course!). Hope that helps Cheers Lyn.
    • andyf3050
    • By andyf3050 21st Jul 12, 1:32 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    andyf3050
    How about gammon and chorizo sausage paella...? It's really nice and relatively easy/cheap to make...!

You'll find a good recipe HERE

Enjoy...!
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 21st Jul 12, 1:35 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,580 Thanks
    quintwins
    i use gammon steaks in creamy chicken pie
    OCT GC 196.12/200
  • tigerstriper
    Gammon steaks are really nice with parsley sauce and whatever potatoes or veg you like
    • cheekyweegit
    • By cheekyweegit 21st Jul 12, 1:45 PM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 3,274 Thanks
    cheekyweegit
    I had some yesterday for works lunch mixed with wholemeal pasta, peppers and mayo cold.

You don't have to have it cold, and can bung in some extra veggies, an apple or even some chicken too if you have some.

This all started as I quite liked the chicken and bacon salad in Tesco, but refused to pay 1.65 for a tub.

Very tasty it was too and you can use the left overs for works lunches like I said and nuke it (microwave) if you want it served hot again.
    • mrs motivated
    • By mrs motivated 21st Jul 12, 1:58 PM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 4,786 Thanks
    mrs motivated
    How about cauliflower cheese and buttered new potatoes. Or new potatoes, peas or beans with parsley sauce.

Ooh I am getting hungry reading this. I love gammon
    Well Behaved women seldom make history

Early retirement goal... 2026

Reduce, reuse, recycle .
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 21st Jul 12, 1:59 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    Oh - also exciting things to do with gammon

• anniemf2508
    • By anniemf2508 21st Jul 12, 1:59 PM
    • 1,085 Posts
    • 6,703 Thanks
    anniemf2508
    serve with mash and parsley sauce...yummy
  • cookie monster
    Yummy Gammon.
    I hate migraines.
    • Okydoky25
    • By Okydoky25 21st Jul 12, 2:03 PM
    • 1,008 Posts
    • 871 Thanks
    Okydoky25
    Cauliflower cheese and new potatoes. I add a pinch of mustard powder & cayenne pepper to my cheese sauce for a bit of a kick
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,651Posts Today

7,139Users online

Martin's Twitter