Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: What oven cleaning method works best for you?

I use Stardrops

1.75% • 1 votes

I use Astonish

3.51% • 2 votes

I use Soda Crystals

3.51% • 2 votes

I use Oven Pride

24.56% • 14 votes

I use Mr Muscle

8.77% • 5 votes

I use Oven Mate

15.79% • 9 votes

I use Brillo pads and lots of elbow grease

7.02% • 4 votes

Other

35.09% • 20 votes

You may not vote on this poll

57 votes in total.

Page 5
    • Emrody
    • By Emrody 10th Jun 07, 8:15 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emrody
    Cleaning ovens
    Any tips on the best ways to clean your oven?
  • csarina
    As far as I am concerned the easiest way is to get someone else to do it!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Seriously, last year I got a chappie in and the cooker looked like new and I got top price for it when I sold it. Have a look in your yellow pages, and get a quote before you commit yourself, the costs can vary.
    My new oven I wipe out each time I use it whilst it is still warm, it has stay clean linings on the side, so its just the roof back panel and door and the shelves I put in the bath overnight with a tablespoon of washing poder and soda crystals, a quick scrub with a green backed pad, and the jobs done, wipe it with a damp dish cloth and put them back in the oven.
    Was 13st 8 lbs,Now 12st 11 Lost 10 1/4lbs since I started on my diet.
  • louidog
    I normally put the chrome shelves into a big black plastic bin liner with a touch of caustic soda...just a little drop mind and tie the bags up. I lay the bags down in the garden and the next morning the shelves are very shiney and clean. Only perhaps a little bit of a scrub needed if they were really nasty. I pop them in the dishwasher afterwards to clean all the soda off too!
    My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being, hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint.
    -Erma Bombeck-
    ~ Member of the MSE Celebdaq Minileague ~
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 10th Jun 07, 11:27 AM
    • 4,314 Posts
    • 9,442 Thanks
    Linda32
    I use one of those wire wool scrubby things and the water after I've washed up.

Our oven has three shelves and I do one every now and again.

I don't tackle the whole thing at once
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 10th Jun 07, 2:25 PM
    • 13,142 Posts
    • 115,691 Thanks
    lil_me
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=422580
    Try that thread, loads of ideas. PS If you go for chemicals 1 shop do a much cheaper version of the Mr Muscle stuff.

I soak the shelves in the bath with bio wahsing powder, put vinegar in bottom of the warm oven and leave for a bit, works a treat. Occasionally use Starclen if it's very bad.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: 200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Little Miss Saver
    This sounds daft but I used my wallpaper stripper to "steam" my oven clean a few months ago and it worked a treat!!

I'm having a new cooker soon so just giving it a quick wipe once a month a moment. I'm going to look after my new one better than this one when I get it and might invest in a proper steam cleaner to keep it clean.

LMS xx
    Mortgage Balance 1st May 2009 94749.00
    Current End Date 1st April 2039.
    Total Overpayments to date 950.00
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi there

i know its a chemical nightmare - but there is a product called OVEN PRIDE - its in a blue n orange box and you can get it in supermarkets for about 4.... but i would say its more of an emergancy rescue product... you put the shelves in tha bag and squeeze in the gel and seal it up and leave it over night or as long as you need - you will see the gel turning black eugh!!!( i also dabbed some on the glass door and the oven bottom...and it is the only time i have seen shelves have that super shiny glint -apart from on new ones of course :-)..then you just rinse the shelves off...i wear proper rubber gloves (not the ones provided) as it is evil stuff!

I only came across it as when our last tennants moved out they left the house like a squat and our 2 year old cooker looked destined for the dump-no amount of scrubbing would touch it....after this everyone thought it was a new cooker LOL
    • hm71
    • By hm71 10th Jun 07, 7:47 PM
    • 1,932 Posts
    • 2,685 Thanks
    hm71
    I second you on that "Oven Pride" is the greatest product ever for cleaning ovens. They also do BBQ pride which is great for the barbie.
    have recommended it to everyone I know.
    • imho
    • By imho 10th Jun 07, 8:04 PM
    • 2,474 Posts
    • 1,602 Thanks
    imho
    Yep "Oven pride " is the best oven cleaner i have ever used. My oven now looks brand new .
  • sam_i_am
    Absolutely Disgusting Oven!
    Hello thereI was wondering if you could help me out with an OS way of cleaning my oven. It's been a little neglected for a few months now and is shamefully dirty.I just find my Mister Muscle cleaner doesn't do a great deal, apart from making me gag at the fumes.Any hints and tips on cleaning would be appreciated!xx
    Pay full price? Not since 2002 my dear.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Jul 07, 9:54 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Sam,

There's an older thread with lots of tips on cleaning ovens that should help so I'll merge your thread with it to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
    • belfastgirl23
    • By belfastgirl23 26th Jul 07, 10:01 AM
    • 7,769 Posts
    • 15,645 Thanks
    belfastgirl23
    for shelves (and presumably doors as well) someone on here once suggested soaking overnight in a bath with cheap biological washing powder. Anyone tried this? Does it work?

• emmie1234
    • By emmie1234 26th Jul 07, 11:22 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 723 Thanks
    emmie1234
    Hiya, I cleaned my oven yesterday and I know its prob not v. env. friendly, but I bought a can of Mr. Muscle oven cleaner from the poundshop and it bought mine up a treat. For the shelves, I got them in the kitchen sink and use one of those metal scrubbing pads and some star drops and they now look brand new!!!
    Marriages are made in heaven, but then again so is thunder and lightning!!!.....getting divorced lol

Trying to "up" my income and rookie oldstyler
    • vixtress
    • By vixtress 3rd Aug 07, 9:28 AM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 4,012 Thanks
    vixtress
    cleaning the oven, seriously disgusting!! help
    hi
    when i moved into my house the built in oven looked like it had probably never been cleaned i meant to replace it asap but have never been in a position to buy one as good (it is actually a really good one)

i have only every really half heartedly given it a clean round as i always told myself it would soon be going.
    finances being as they are i have decided i owe it to myself to give it a real make or break good go before i make the move to chuck it!

the glass inside of the door is totally black and opaque and this is the bit that offends me the most.
    what can i use to get it clean or is it past hope
    not very os but as a one off i am willing to try anything (within reason) even if it is evil chemicals
    thanks guys, i know you will have some good ideas
    vix
    - prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge 150 136/150
  • Boatie_Bird
    I saw this on 'How Clean is Your House' last week.
    Get some bicarb and mix it to a thickish paste with some washing up liquid.
    Apply with a cloth and rub on to the glass inside the door gently and it should lift quite easily.
    It appeared to work a treat and I intend to try it this weekend after stocking up on bicarb today.
    Last edited by Boatie_Bird; 03-08-2007 at 9:32 AM. Reason: Still half asleep!
    • newlywed
    • By newlywed 3rd Aug 07, 9:34 AM
    • 7,476 Posts
    • 24,369 Thanks
    newlywed
    I do similar but with a paste of bicarb and vinegar. Cuts into the grease on the glass door and works well

Needs rinsing fairly well due to powder residue from the bicarb, but it's ok

DMP support thread (member #32)

• mbamick
    • By mbamick 3rd Aug 07, 9:37 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    mbamick
    ......am willing to try anything (within reason) even if it is evil chemicals
    Originally posted by vixtress
    Hi Vixtress.
    We had a similar problem when we moved in 7 weeks ago. My OH wanted to replace the oven....it was that bad. We scrubbed for days, and still couldn't remove the grime.

Then my good ol' Mum recommended a product called Oven Pride.....and the oven now looks brand new [and I'm not kidding...it was brilliant]. I found a detailed review at http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/household-products/oven-pride-kitchen-cleaner/1045775/. I bought mine at Asda for 3.99.

Good luck with the oven..and the new house.
    Mick
  • pnq06
    I too second oven pride- it did wonders for ours when we moved in...

Have you tried one of those glass scraping things? I've not got one myself but I've seen Kim and Aggie use one before
    • vixtress
    • By vixtress 3rd Aug 07, 9:44 AM
    • 1,148 Posts
    • 4,012 Thanks
    vixtress
    Hi Vixtress.
    We had a similar problem when we moved in 7 weeks ago. My OH wanted to replace the oven....it was that bad. We scrubbed for days, and still couldn't remove the grime.

Then my good ol' Mum recommended a product called Oven Pride.....and the oven now looks brand new [and I'm not kidding...it was brilliant]. I found a detailed review at http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/household-products/oven-pride-kitchen-cleaner/1045775/. I bought mine at Asda for 3.99.

Good luck with the oven..and the new house.
    Mick
    Originally posted by mbamick
    wow! sounds great, i will get some today but to be honest i am still not sure whether its beyond hope!! i bet its been burnt on for about 5 years!!
    - prior planning prevents poor performance!

May Grocery challenge 150 136/150
  • Gingernutmeg
    My oven was the same when I moved into my rented flat, and I'll third the oven pride, it's great stuff. One thing I DON'T recommend though is the Mr Muscle 'spray on' stuff - it absolutely stinks (and makes the oven smell for days) and after I'd sprayed it on and left it for the suggested time I came back to what looked like a huge puddle of black treacle all over the kitchen floor. It's nasty stuff.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,619Posts Today

7,690Users online

Martin's Twitter