Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: What oven cleaning method works best for you?

I use Stardrops

1.75% • 1 votes

I use Astonish

3.51% • 2 votes

I use Soda Crystals

3.51% • 2 votes

I use Oven Pride

24.56% • 14 votes

I use Mr Muscle

8.77% • 5 votes

I use Oven Mate

15.79% • 9 votes

I use Brillo pads and lots of elbow grease

7.02% • 4 votes

Other

35.09% • 20 votes

You may not vote on this poll

57 votes in total.

Page 31
    • danih
    • By danih 16th Feb 14, 12:53 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    danih
    Off to poundstretchers I go. Thanks everyone! !!
    got married 3rd May 2013
    • Greenqueen
    • By Greenqueen 16th Feb 14, 2:31 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 588 Thanks
    Greenqueen
    BEWARE

Oven Pride wrecked my oven. It`s great for removable trays, metal shelves and glass door. BUT... I squirted some on the oven floor and left it to soak for 10 mins whilst I washed some dishes in the sink. When I went back to wipe it off the metal? was bubbling up. It subsequently cracked in several places and chunks have fallen out.
    • hilstep2000
    • By hilstep2000 16th Feb 14, 3:58 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 17,709 Thanks
    hilstep2000
    Oven Pride is on offer at Poundstretcher for 2.99. I paid 50 after Xmas for a man to come and do both of mine. It was like new when he finished, worth every penny!
    I Believe in saving money!!!
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• danih
    • By danih 16th Feb 14, 6:54 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 1,190 Thanks
    danih
    Omagh poundstretchers doing 2 oven prides for 5 - Deal!!!

Oven now much cleaner. Left shelves to soak bit longer.

My oven was "donated" by the previous tenants of my unfurnished rental. Landlord was planning to dump it, but as it still worked we said we would use it. We had to source fridge, freezer, all furniture so worked out well. The grill is a gonner. Half still turns on, other half has bn bending slowly downwards over past 4 years - v odd.

Can I use same stuff on glass doors?
    got married 3rd May 2013
    • jetplane
    • By jetplane 16th Feb 14, 6:58 PM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 3,595 Thanks
    jetplane
    Steam clean by a professional is the best way to clean your oven. Not the cheapest but there is no doubt it's worth it.
    The most potent weapon of the oppressor is the mind of the oppressed. Steve Biko
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 16th Feb 14, 7:36 PM
    • 4,314 Posts
    • 9,442 Thanks
    Linda32
    I've used oven pride in the past and it does work well. A good wash with hot soapy water little and often afterwards cuts the cost even more
    • Kathy535
    • By Kathy535 16th Feb 14, 10:08 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    Kathy535
    Another vote for oven pride - it's really effective and really easy. And I also got an oven floor liner which is great, I just wipe the liner and shelves over every month or so and clean the oven once a year (usually just after Christmas when the Xmas day duck has made the overnight smoke and smell fatty). I no longer feel ashamed when the mother in law has a good peer in when she comes for dinner!
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 16th Feb 14, 10:16 PM
    • 10,639 Posts
    • 64,722 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    Another vote for Oven Pride - I had previously used Lakeland oven cleaner which, although great and fumeless like Oven Pride, was more hard work as you had to paint it onto the oven trays, unlike Oven Pride where you just put them in a bag with the mixture and let it do the job itself.

I'd definitely recommend it.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • bouncydog1
    • By bouncydog1 16th Feb 14, 10:21 PM
    • 2,619 Posts
    • 2,087 Thanks
    bouncydog1
    Do not use oven pride on the glass doors - our last oven door exploded which may be related! It was like a small bomb going off and not funny as DD and I were in the kitchen with no shoes in when it happened. DH picked us up and carried us out of the glass which went about 25 feet into the conservatory!
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 16th Feb 14, 10:38 PM
    • 4,168 Posts
    • 56,097 Thanks
    monnagran
    Oh WOW. I've always put my glass doors in the bag with the shelves etc and they've been fine with Oven Pride. I'll watch it in future. Mind you, only cleaning your oven once a year - if that- probably means that the glass doors are still in shock when plunged into cleaning solution and are too confused by the unaccustomed cleanliness to explode, shatter or do anything but ask themselves, "What was all that about?"

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Ethan Cresdee
    I used oven pride before and i was fairly happy with the results.. but now i'm having a cleaner deal with the oven from time to time..
    An open minded, creative and introverted person, doing what I love - the way that I love to do it.
    • Frugalsod
    • By Frugalsod 18th Feb 14, 11:38 AM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 38,651 Thanks
    Frugalsod
    Steam clean by a professional is the best way to clean your oven. Not the cheapest but there is no doubt it's worth it.
    Originally posted by jetplane
    I would imagine if you had your own you could do it yourself.
    • flipperni
    • By flipperni 24th Feb 14, 2:26 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    flipperni
    Poundland do a product similar to oven pride. It is just as good. Glass window paint scraper for the glass oven door works well to to get rid of the worst, i use a Brillo pad to clean off the rest, mines is an old cooker but it has never done the glass any harm. I do be all pleased with myself when i do my oven. :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

2,190Users online

Martin's Twitter