Quick questions on Consumer Rights

Comments

• wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    declanmc wrote: »
    Hello, today I have purchased a £20 debenhams gift card with cash. However I have now found a more suitable present and wish to return it. I have the original receipt and gift receipt, and have looked on debenham's website to no avail. Can I still return it?
    You purchased it in a Debenhams store?

You can certainly ask them, no harm in that.

You have no statutory right to a refund, but maybe a contractual right exists.

Go into the store and ask nicely. :D
  • declanmc
    declanmc Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    wealdroam wrote: »
    You purchased it in a Debenhams store?

You can certainly ask them, no harm in that.

You have no statutory right to a refund, but maybe a contractual right exists.

Go into the store and ask nicely. :D

Thanks for your answer! In the end I decided to just give the gift voucher anyway haha, felt generous.
  • Hi

i bought a settee (leather) 7 years ago from a local shop where i live after 6 months i noticed the cushions on the settee were cracking went back to the shop the man that sold it tried to say thats how leather goes....but after 6 months said i was not happy with his excuse ...this settee cost us nearly £3000 told it was hard wearing top quality leather!!!!! he eventually agreed to sort the 2 cuhions out.
    about a year half later the same problem happened went back again excuses ...but gave us new cushions yet agian its happend stupidly as we know this man really well we felt we didnt want to complain ....but our settee has never been right.
    went back to shop agaian recently asked for the rep to come and have a look but the man at the shop said the rep says that there is nothing he can do...he has not even look at the sofa??? i know its 7 years old now but this sofa has NEVER been right.
    had a leather expert round he thinks the fault is when the leather has been treated ita been dried out too much.

just wondered do we have a right to complain? are we being unreasonable?

my friends have similar leather settees and theres are no where near as bad as ours i feel so mad we spent so much money when we could have had a cheaper one which would have looked a lot better.

hope you can help
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    bev_1967 wrote: »
    Hi

i bought a settee (leather) 7 years ago from a local shop where i live after 6 months i noticed the cushions on the settee were cracking went back to the shop the man that sold it tried to say thats how leather goes....but after 6 months said i was not happy with his excuse ...this settee cost us nearly £3000 told it was hard wearing top quality leather!!!!! he eventually agreed to sort the 2 cuhions out.
    about a year half later the same problem happened went back again excuses ...but gave us new cushions yet agian its happend stupidly as we know this man really well we felt we didnt want to complain ....but our settee has never been right.
    went back to shop agaian recently asked for the rep to come and have a look but the man at the shop said the rep says that there is nothing he can do...he has not even look at the sofa??? i know its 7 years old now but this sofa has NEVER been right.
    had a leather expert round he thinks the fault is when the leather has been treated ita been dried out too much.

just wondered do we have a right to complain? are we being unreasonable?

my friends have similar leather settees and theres are no where near as bad as ours i feel so mad we spent so much money when we could have had a cheaper one which would have looked a lot better.

hope you can help

AFAIK, the statute of limitations is 6 years in england. Meaning you cant take them to a small claims court. This doesnt mean you cant complain however, just that you are relying on their goodwill. You really should have kicked up more of a fuss when it first became evident though and initiated a small claims file if they refused to remedy the situation.

Dont be afraid of taking a company to small claims if they refuse to honour your rights. Its relatively cheap and hassle free.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Although I have subscribed to MSE and read advice off many forums I have never posted myself, so I hope I am doing this right....

Although I have not had the most positive experience with B & Q recently due to an ongoing dispute(which is now resolved) I still purchased a £4,500 Kitchen (interest free) from them at the end of May, which was delivered Sat 9th July.

On revisiting the store with my kictchen fitter on the same day it was delivered he collected his trade card from the trade counter buying a few bits at a large discount. The staff then asked if there were any other items requiring ordering and stated that they could offer upto 60% off B&Q quoted prices on kitchen cabinets and doors. Obviously I was amazed at this and said mine had just been delivered. The member of staff stated that the kitchen planner should have mentioned the trade counter discount when he visited my property and again when I actually placed the order in store. He did not and I even enquired when I ordered if there was any way I could get it cheaper. Furthermore she told me if it hadn't been delivered that day I could have let her quote me through the trade counter and I could have made the savings, changed the order and still had it on interest free, but all through my kitchen fitters trade card!
    I know quite a few people with trade cards so had I have been informed of this I could have used any of them.
    Obviously I am miffed to say the least and want to go into the store and demand my rights to money back, in fact I am waiting for the planner to call me back.. But do I have any grounds really just by the fact that he didn't tell me about the Trade counter?
    Can anyone advise?
  • Looking for LED lights I came across a website selling a 4' strip for 40p, rather than the usual £500 or so. Unable to resist a bargain I bought two. The order was accepted, but the next day I got an email from the company saying " I have been in contact with the supplier and unfortunately these items are no longer available to us
    I will cancel and refund your order today." Fair enough.
    But they are still advertising them (albeit at £573) and claim that they are in stock. I queried this and got the reply "Unfortunately we did not know until yesterday when I tried to order them for you that we were unable to get them anymore.
    I have sent all the documentation to the people who look after our website to remove the items that you ordered and also a long list of others that I was told about too."
    As the price has been changed they must have already contacted "the people who look after our website", which makes me think I'm being fobbed off.

Do I have any rights to demand the original order at the original price?
  • Forwandert
    Forwandert Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sir_Henry wrote: »
    Looking for LED lights I came across a website selling a 4' strip for 40p, rather than the usual £500 or so. Unable to resist a bargain I bought two. The order was accepted, but the next day I got an email from the company saying " I have been in contact with the supplier and unfortunately these items are no longer available to us
    I will cancel and refund your order today." Fair enough.
    But they are still advertising them (albeit at £573) and claim that they are in stock. I queried this and got the reply "Unfortunately we did not know until yesterday when I tried to order them for you that we were unable to get them anymore.
    I have sent all the documentation to the people who look after our website to remove the items that you ordered and also a long list of others that I was told about too."
    As the price has been changed they must have already contacted "the people who look after our website", which makes me think I'm being fobbed off.

Do I have any rights to demand the original order at the original price?

No, they are under no obligation to sell to you at that price, by your post it's clear you are aware it was a pricing error anyway.
  • Fair enough. Thanks for the quick reply.
  • Hi 3 months ago i purchased a painting from an art shop (£150). The shop keeper told me if it did not look good on my wall i should bring it back and he will issue me a credit note. i bought it back staright away. None of the other paintings he had would be suitable for my home. He keeps telling me to wait until a picture comes in. That was 3 months ago and I'm still waiting.. he refuses to give me my money back and is getting quite rude also.. Can i get my money back.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Mr_Henry wrote: »
    Hi 3 months ago i purchased a painting from an art shop (£150). The shop keeper told me if it did not look good on my wall i should bring it back and he will issue me a credit note. i bought it back staright away. None of the other paintings he had would be suitable for my home. He keeps telling me to wait until a picture comes in. That was 3 months ago and I'm still waiting.. he refuses to give me my money back and is getting quite rude also.. Can i get my money back.
    No you probably cannot get your money back... unless the guy offers it as a goodwill gesture.

Your statutory rights only cover you if the thing is faulty, or in some way not as described.

You have a contractual right, established at the time of sale, which allows you to have a credit note if the picture is not suitable.

It seems that the seller has done all he needs to.

For further information, have a look at MSE's Consumer Rights article.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback