Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 5
  • kunekune
    I got one of these today too. The last one I got cheap I made into peking duck: just roasted it slowly and without any extras, served it in pancakes with spring onions and hoisin sauce. Nice, but a lot of hassle, would have worked just as well with shredded breast meat. Haven't decided what to do with this one yet. But I love duck. And for the second day, the leftover meat makes a wonderful noodle soup or stirfry.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : 129,600
    Overpayments to date: 3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
    • JoleneM
    • By JoleneM 19th Dec 07, 8:30 AM
    • 221 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    JoleneM
    Duck for Christmas
    Hello everyone, Merry Christmas!

Me and Hubby have decided to have something different this year Christmas lunch, we are going to have Duck.

But am not sure how to roast a whole Duck, so any recipes welcome!

Plus any ideas what sort of gravy will go with Duck?

Jolene
    • Mat_Lock
    • By Mat_Lock 19th Dec 07, 8:36 AM
    • 2,053 Posts
    • 5,565 Thanks
    Mat_Lock
    MMmmmm duck

Can't go wrong with duck but erm, no idea of any recipes. [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/sextonm/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 23rd Dec 07, 8:17 AM
    • 4,608 Posts
    • 27,469 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    What to do with duck?
    Hi everyone,

My husband is having duck on Xmas day but we are unsure what sauce to put with it.

We will be having the usual roasties, sprouts, honeyed carrots and parsnips .etc.

Does it actually need anything or will gravy just do?

EE

Sorry for sounding dense but I am vegetarian and haven't got a clue
    • Ishtar
    • By Ishtar 23rd Dec 07, 8:19 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 11,332 Thanks
    Ishtar
    Not sure, but I'd probably go with a sharper sauce to help cut the richness - you could try cranberry or perhaps apple?

I'm sure someone will be along in a moment with some better ideas!
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 23rd Dec 07, 8:21 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    There's a recipe for duck a l'orange here http://www.retrofoodrecipes.com/duck_a_lorange.html

but gravy would be fine too. Or you could add some wine to it to make it a bit more interesting.
    • morwenna
    • By morwenna 23rd Dec 07, 9:22 AM
    • 843 Posts
    • 4,587 Thanks
    morwenna
    Traditionally, I think roast duck is served with gravy and apple sauce. (At least, traditionally in this house!!) Stand it on a rack to roast andprick the skin before roasting all over with a fork, this helps the fat (and there is a lot) to drain away. Rub it with salt too as the crispy skin is yummy. If you drain the fat after, it makes really crispy roast potatoes. Methinks your OH will be getting a bit spoiled this year!
    • organic wanabe
    • By organic wanabe 23rd Dec 07, 11:41 AM
    • 807 Posts
    • 760 Thanks
    organic wanabe
    I seem to recall that Pink-winged serves duck breast with a cherry sauce (made with morello cherry jam and wine, I think). Can't see why it wouldn't work with whole duck. If interested - hopefully it'll come up during a search.
  • kethry
    Every time i've done roast duck, i've done it with this recipe from Delia, roast seville orange glazed duck with a port wine sauce. Turned out perfect every time. Couldn't recommend it more.

HTH

keth
    xx
  • misskool
    Personally, duck is too rich for any sauce for me. !!!!! the skin before roasting (the meat is very fat), and the skin goes all nice and crispy. I rub a 5-spice mix (I make my own but you can just buy them, I prefer it to be a bit spicier). Roast and make a simple gravy with any of the juices after resting. It won't be so thick but that's how I like it.
  • kunekune
    If you look on the BBC GOOD FOOD site (sorry, not into links tonight) there is an excellent recipe for duck with honey and sesame seeds. I have tried it. It is sticky/messy and might set off the fire alarm but it tastes wonderful.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : 129,600
    Overpayments to date: 3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
    • butterflylady
    • By butterflylady 10th Aug 08, 10:42 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    butterflylady
    Duck
    Hi,

I am hoping you can help, my lovely OH has brought me a duck to cook. There currently on special at tesco's still 6 though. It may not sound like it but this is a really thoughtful treat from him, so I don't want to wreck the duck as I have never cooked it before.

Also the duck states its to feed 4-6, well I love duck but even I can't eat that much in one go, my OH will nibble at it but isn;t too bothered and we also have a 14 month old son, who I'm not even sure whether he can eat it or not!!!

So any help with recieps or what I can do with the left overs.......

Thanks

Butterfly xxxx
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 10th Aug 08, 11:46 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi butterflylady,

There's an earlier thread with lots of advice on cooking a whole duck that should help, so I've merged your thread with it to keep all the replies together.

I'm afraid when I cook a duck there is never any left, but I had a look on google and there are some ideas here and here for using up leftover roast duck.

Pink
    • kemo_2002
    • By kemo_2002 25th Aug 09, 7:25 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 2,017 Thanks
    kemo_2002
    What to do with duck??
    Hi, i love aromatic duck from the chinese, so ive brought a whole duck (gibelts and all!)

I got it from tesco for hald price was 7 now 3.50 :

Only now i dont know how to cook it or what to do with it!!

Any suggestions??

• thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 25th Aug 09, 7:34 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    We had a duck at the weekend. I made crispy duck pancakes with it.

You'll need some Chinese pancakes- I got mine from my local Chinese supermarket (100 of them) for about 3.

I roasted the duck on the grill so that the fat dripped off into the grill pan. I put it in at 170c for 5-6 hours. It was crispy, crispy, crispy

When cool I shredded the meat and skin and piled on a platter. I steamed the pancakes (3-5 each), cut up some spring onions and cucumber and served with hoison sauce and my homemade hot and sour damson dipping sauce which was in fact nicer than the hoisin.

If you can't get the pancakes the duck would be just as good with rice and the hoisin or plum sauce.

Leftover duck went into a dish of braised lentil and sausages as did the stock I made from the giblets. OH and I shared the liver fried in butter (one mouthful each).

The fat from the roasting was saved to fry potatoes in. You can use it for roasting them too, it's the best thing It will keep in the fridge for ages, or you can freeze it and save it for your Christmas roast potatoes.

I also made the carcase into stock which is now in the freezer.
    • kemo_2002
    • By kemo_2002 25th Aug 09, 7:46 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 2,017 Thanks
    kemo_2002
    I roasted the duck on the grill so that the fat dripped off into the grill pan. I put it in at 170c for 5-6 hours. It was crispy, crispy, crispy

so, you would do it i the grill rather than the oven. i dont know if it would it in my grill:confused:

• thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 25th Aug 09, 7:52 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady

so, you would do it i the grill rather than the oven. i dont know if it would it in my grill:confused:
    Originally posted by kemo_2002

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I roasted it in the oven but used my grill pan to sit it on. My grill is in the oven so the pan for it fits in there like an extra oven rack.

Find a roasting tin that has a rack or that you can put an oven rack over so that the fat drips in to the pan.
  • zara*elise
    I remember making duck and apparent;y you're meant to roast in the oven on the top shelf with a tray of water on the lowest shelf to help keep it juicy and tender.

xx
    Foreign politicians often zing stereotypical tunes, mayday, mayday, Venezuela, neck
    • kemo_2002
    • By kemo_2002 25th Aug 09, 8:09 PM
    • 1,466 Posts
    • 2,017 Thanks
    kemo_2002
    ah i understand with the grill - i brought it and didnt actuallyrealise i domt know how to cook it!

what do i do with the giblets? i take it i have to take them out? yuk!

• thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 25th Aug 09, 8:25 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    Yes take them out. Make some stock with them Chuck them in a saucepan with an onion, a carrot and a leek if you've got one. Bring to a boil then simmer for a couple of hours. Strain and use the stock for soup/risotto/casseroles/gravy. Freeze it if you can't use it straight away.

I took the liver out of the giblet bag and fried it in butter for me and OH. It is delicious, even better than chicken liver.

Or if you don't fancy any of that give them to a cat or dog.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,659Posts Today

7,707Users online

Martin's Twitter