Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 3
    • silverfoxdude
    • By silverfoxdude 17th Jan 06, 1:14 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    silverfoxdude
    hehe, just read your title, and thought.,. a duck#1 what an earth are you going to do with a duck!!

When I was little, my batty nana bought my sister and I a real live little baby duck each. (yes I know its clled a duckling!)

My uncle came that night with some wine for my mum. She got drunk and went to bed, so we gave the duck a saucer of wine, well it got p!!$ed at a lord, its crop filled up and it was wobbling all over. Please forgive me, I was only about 11, but it was funny

We put the ducks in the sink while we were at school. When we returned there was only one left!! My mum's friend's dog had eaten one!! As my sister was younger than me, I told her my duck had been murdered by the dog, but hers was ok. She put the duck in a friends shed that was near the canal, and looked after it, it grew up, fat and white and was released on the water when it was older.
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 17th Jan 06, 1:17 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    ex m.i.l. gave father in law toilet paper sarnies once bcos she asked what he wanted for lunch and he said 'whatever'
    A lesson for men everywhere. And users of the word whatever!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 17th Jan 06, 1:18 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    I love duck, its a fav in our house, like most posts have said, i roast it on a rack so the fat drips down, which i then save for my roast potatos, yum!!!
    I wouldnt waste the duck hitting OH with it, a rolling pin however..................lol
    Catherine x
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 17th Jan 06, 1:25 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    i would eat it all by myself, slowly, making sure to let him know I enjoyed it LOADS.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • elisebutt65
    • By elisebutt65 17th Jan 06, 3:06 PM
    • 3,793 Posts
    • 7,289 Thanks
    elisebutt65
    What was his lunch btw??

Just wondering why he threw it away
  • MissMuppet
    What was his lunch btw??

Just wondering why he threw it away
    by elisebutt65
    I cooked a joint of silverside beef in my slow cooker on saturday and we had half left so I made us both rolls for lunch yesterday! He says he never threw them away but I can't see how he managed pub lunch and the rolls...

Unfortunately though we have split up today, nothing to do with yesterday!
    • tired mum
    • By tired mum 23rd Mar 06, 8:30 PM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 28,150 Thanks
    tired mum
    what to do with duck
    really lucky yesterday picked up a large duck at asda for 1.50 yesterday should have been over 6.00 but now what can i do with it? would like to use on sun {mothers day}
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 23rd Mar 06, 8:36 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Hiya

lots of ideas in these threads:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=137118&highlight=duck%2A

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=126926&highlight=duck%2A

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=101615&highlight=duck%2A

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=64122&highlight=duck%2A
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 23rd Mar 06, 8:37 PM
    • 7,258 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    Crispy chinese duck and pancakes

That would be my choice, personally

BBC Food has some interesting recipes for duck, have a look and see what you think.

HTH
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 23rd Mar 06, 8:57 PM
    • 2,473 Posts
    • 26,732 Thanks
    snoozer
    The easiest thing to do with it is just roast it - it will be delicious. !!!!! the skin all over with a fork and rub with salt to make the skin really crispy. Roast on a trivet or something similar to let all the fat run off, duck is incredibly fatty but very moist because of it - the fat makes lovely roast potatoes. Cook at 190c for 20 mins per lb plus 20 mins. Mmm my mouth is watering
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 23rd Mar 06, 9:05 PM
    • 24,743 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    I do a lovely oriental duck noodle thing

Noodles & beansprouts strifried with soy & finely shredded veg , spring onions, red pepper

Duck done in a griddle pan, salt into the skin and a marinade of honey, pinch of chinese all spice.

Wish I was having that for tea mmm
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
  • fizzel81
    cooking duck
    today in sommerfield i bought a duck (a cause it was half price and b its something i have always wanted to have a go at)

anyway i have never attempted duck before, do you cook it like a chicken any tips would be most appreciated?
    it also has giblets in it i assume these will be in a bag? is there anything that can be done with them or do you just throw em

many thanks Fi x
    DFW nerd club number 039 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb 6,247.98/6282.80
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target 4k + cb 643.89 /6412.80
  • wigginsmum
    Make sure you put it on a rack in the roasting tin - it's unbelievably fatty. Rub it all over with salt as this will crisp up the skin.

I should imagine you could make giblets gravy just as you can with chicken.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 1st Jul 06, 12:54 PM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    it also has giblets in it i assume these will be in a bag? is there anything that can be done with them or do you just throw em
    by fizzel81

Fry liver in butter and spread onto toast - delish

Use giblets to make a stock - either for the gravy or any sauce you choose to make. Or simply to freeze and make a sauce or gravy at a later date.

Chuck 'em? You get banned from OS for even thinking about it

• Pink.
    • By Pink. 1st Jul 06, 12:57 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi fizzle,

Leave the duck uncovered for 24 hours before cooking to allow the skin to dry out before rubbing in the salt, this should help it to crisp. Duck is very very fatty so it's important to have the duck raised out of the roasting tray to allow the fat to drain off....if you don't have a wire rack rest it on some scrunched up tin foil. Save the fat for making yummy roast potatoes.

Preheat the oven to 220 degrees and roast for 20 minutes. Then turn the oven down to 180 degrees and cook for 2 and a half hours. You may have to drain the fat off a couple of times during this bit. Once the duck is cooked allow it to rest in a warm kitchen for at least 10 minutes.

I make a sauce using morello cherry jam and any good red wine. Combine the two in a saucepan (1 part jam to three parts wine) and reduce over a lowish heat, then use a fine sieve to strain it.

Here are some older threads that might help:

Cheap duck!!!!

Bought a duck for 3.99....

duckling

Duck hints

Pink
    • kaya
    • By kaya 1st Jul 06, 2:26 PM
    • 2,348 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    kaya
    or you can put it in a tin on a rack, put boiling water in the bottom, cover with tinfoil and place in the oven for an hour, this steams the fat from the duck before roasting and part cooks it, remove after an hour and push the back of a knife over the skin, you will see the fat come from the skin and drop into the water below, this is stock/fat for your roasties, place it back in the tin/oven again and brush with honey every 10 mins, if it starts to burn cover with foil, honey glazed steamed and roast duck, luverlly jubberly
    • hex2
    • By hex2 1st Jul 06, 3:15 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    Whatever you do you should cook it from fridge cold to help crisp the skin.

I have used the method putlined by pink-winged many times and it is my fave although I will try the honey steamed version next - thanks Kaya
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • fizzel81
    thank you.
    will be cooking monday now so i can dry the skin first i just need to make sure ive not gone into labour 1st
    DFW nerd club number 039 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb 6,247.98/6282.80
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target 4k + cb 643.89 /6412.80
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 14th Apr 07, 11:18 AM
    • 24,743 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    Whole duck gluttony
    hi there

I got a whole gressingham duck from sainsburys last week on offer, and me & the OH are going to have this for our tea chinese style. Ive got the pancakes and the sauce and know about how to do the galze, so Im all set

Does anyone have any idea how long it will take to roast - I know when I do legs they take ages? ANyone know?
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
  • jennybb
    The best way I have done duck is a la Nigella (How to eat "Soft and Crispy duck")

She is not precise about times - but poaches the duck first in water (30 - 45 mins) it can be done in advance then put in the fridge until you want to roast it. It smells a bit unpleasant while poaching. Be careful not to split the skin when taking it out of the pan. When you want to roast it, put in hot oven - again she is vague about precise timings - 30 - 40 mins.

I have done duck often like this and it works well.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

40Posts Today

3,233Users online

Martin's Twitter