Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
    • ronankfan
    • By ronankfan 9th Jan 06, 3:01 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 1,869 Thanks
    ronankfan
    Congratz, i like the sound of the stuffing and turkey burgers i might give it a go as i have some turkey in the freezer.
  • studentphil
    Left over turkey
    We need a thread, what to do with all the left over turkey?
  • Gingham Ribbon
    I hope this older thread gives you some ideas, Phil. Merry Christmas.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • LJM
    hi i normally make a curry,or a stirfry but i quite fancy it with plain old egg and chips tomorrow
    Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life
  • Toxic Lemon
    I like turkey in a white sauce to make Turkey á le King. You can add mushrooms, too.
    TL
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 26th Dec 06, 3:03 AM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    Inherited 2 turkey legs (cooked) yesterday from DD's boyfriends' parents as they only eat breastmeat. My lot had steak, so wasn't expecting to have any leftovers this year! Nice wee treat for DH as he has been moaning about missing out on his turkey, totally tongue-in-cheek, but his wishes have been granted.

Not sure what I will do with it yet, but think Toxic Lemon's suggestion of a white sauce will be used and possibly make a small pie, and curry the other leg. DH brought back some different curry spices back from Far East a few weeks ago, which I haven't used yet, so time to give that a bash.
    • twink
    • By twink 26th Dec 06, 7:42 AM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    there is a nice turkey soup recipe on www.bbcgoodfood.com
    • alrewas
    • By alrewas 26th Dec 06, 12:14 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    alrewas
    hi
    if you freeze turkry is it ok for sarnies at a later date?
  • Don'tskipit
    hi
    if you freeze turkry is it ok for sarnies at a later date?
    by alrewas
    I'm pretty sure that if you freeze cooked poultry, it has to be thoroughly defrosted and then completely reheated before eating.

If I'm wrong someone will correct me.
    A smile, a 'please' and a 'thank you' cost nothing

• Ebany
    • By Ebany 26th Dec 06, 3:23 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 201 Thanks
    Ebany
    My mum makes wonderful turkey and leek pies, very simple, just chop some leeks and soften in butter, then take out the leeks and put to one side, make a basic white sauce using the same butter, dump in the turkey and leeks and theres the filling! Make into a pie whicherver way you prefer, my mum makes a full shortcrust pastry pie, I prefer to just stick some puff on top. These were always my favourite part of the christmas turkey!

This also goes well with jacket potatos (and also works just fine with chicken)

(Copied over from my post on the Christmas forum)
    • scrimperjan
    • By scrimperjan 26th Dec 06, 3:42 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    scrimperjan
    I've got about two inches of red wine left in a bottle (don't know how that got past me yesterday!) so as an experiment I'm going to put that in some leftover gravy, with the turkey, some garlic, mushrooms and onions. We'll probably have it with rice. I'll let you know what it turns out like!
    • MATH
    • By MATH 26th Dec 06, 6:11 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    With some of my left over turkey I make turkey, brie, and cranberyy toasties and I also make a curry. The rest I stick in the freezer and drag it back out at the end of January when we are not so fed up with turkey and turn it into a marengo or coronation turkey. HTH
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    • scrimperjan
    • By scrimperjan 27th Dec 06, 10:24 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    scrimperjan
    I've got about two inches of red wine left in a bottle (don't know how that got past me yesterday!) so as an experiment I'm going to put that in some leftover gravy, with the turkey, some garlic, mushrooms and onions. We'll probably have it with rice. I'll let you know what it turns out like!
    by scrimperjan
    It was actually really good! Next time I have a drop of wine leftover I'm going to do this again, with any other kind of meat!
  • grannybroon
    We are having left over chicken tonight. I will make a savoury white sauce with onion, garlic and mixed peppers thrown in. Add chicken at end and serve with rice. Have used up turkey this way too.
  • dolly day dream
    I took the left over veg (handful if I am honest) added some turkey and some of the white turkey gravy, put it in the bottom of a serving dish and topped it with what was left of the mash. This has been frozen and will serve as a meal later on. I am determined to throw away as little food as possible this year.
    True wealth lies in contentment - not cash. Dollydaydream 2006
  • Seaxwyn
    Turkey leftovers
    Apologies if someone has already asked this, but what can I do with my christmas turkey leftovers?

I have a couple of legs with the meat on, a small pile of carved meat (including breast pieces), the whole carcase, and a pan of gravy.

Suggestions/recipes will be much appreciated!
  • liz..
    I love the leftovers better then the dinner! Use up the slices of meat for sarnies along with the stuffing and cranberry sauce (nice with lettuce in too)

I make a curry with the leftover meat and gravy and boil up the carcass for soup.

You could also make a pie with the turkey and any veg leftovers with a white/cheese sauce.

Anything you can't use, then freeze in portion sizes and use as necesary.

Bon appetit!
  • emilyt
    www.britishturkey.co.uk/recipes Look at this site hope it helps.
    When life gives you a hundred reasons to cry, show life that you have a thousand reasons to smile
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Dec 06, 4:18 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi Seaxwyn,

We have a current thread on using leftover turkey that should help you so I have merged your thread with it to keep all the suggestions together.

Pink
  • Jay-Jay
    We had turkey and gammon pie, it was lovely

Heated some butter in a pan, added some chopped turkey, gammon and chopped mushrooms. Cooked for a few mins then poured on some chicken stock. Left to bubble for 10 mins then added some cream and a ball of butter and flour, some black pepper then left it to simmer for a few mins.

Used readymade pastry and baked blind the base then added the filling, put a pastry lid on and whacked it in the oven for 10 mins. It was lovely.

Had it with the leftover gravy, mash and broccoli
    Just run, run and keep on running!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,177Posts Today

8,073Users online

Martin's Twitter