Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • KizzyK
    • 7th Mar 06, 12:03 PM
    • 7th Mar 06, 12:03 PM
    From Nigella Lawson with love

http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/N/nigella/bites8.shtml

Nigella: "This recipe is from How to Eat, with some rejigging (just because it's not in my nature to leave completely alone) and I don't apologise for reproducing, or rather recasting, it because I simply cannot urge you to try this strongly enough. The first time I made it, it was, to be frank, really just out of amused interest. I'd heard, and read, about this culinary tradition from the deep South, but wasn't expecting it, in all honesty, to be (in all honesty) good. The truth is it's magnificent, and makes converts of anyone who eats it. But, if you think about it, it's not surprising it should work: the sweet, spiky drink just infuses it with spirit of barbecue. I have to force myself to cook ham any other way now; though often I don't bothering with the glaze but just leave it for longer in the bubbling Coke instead."

Ingredients:

* 2kg mild-cure gammon
    * 1 onion peeled and cut in half
    * 2 litre-bottle coke
    * for the glaze
    * handful cloves
    * 1 heaped tablespoon black treacle
    * 2 teasps English mustard powder
    * 2 tablespoons demerara sugar

Or

Alan Bichan does one

http://www.orcadian.co.uk/features/cooking/archive7.htm

*** Board Guide Edit ***

Can I remind posters that we are asked in the orange bar at the top of every page to respect the copyright of others and limit ourselves to a brief quote and then add a link to the relevant page for those who would like to read more. I'll add the formal phrasing below in a quote for you.

COPYRIGHT

Do not copy long text from other publications/websites. This may breach copyright. Instead use short quotes and a link. MoneySavingExpert.com asserts copyright on all comments posted on the boards.
    Last edited by squeaky; 07-03-2006 at 12:19 PM.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

• ladygrey
    • 16th Mar 06, 11:55 AM
    • 16th Mar 06, 11:55 AM
    can you use any coke, diet for instance?
    • hot.chick
    • By hot.chick 16th Mar 06, 12:02 PM
    • 1,062 Posts
    • 1,325 Thanks
    hot.chick
    • 16th Mar 06, 12:02 PM
    • 16th Mar 06, 12:02 PM
    no has to be full fat it's the sugar in it that does the magic!!!
  • ladygrey
    • 16th Mar 06, 7:06 PM
    • 16th Mar 06, 7:06 PM
    thanks hot.chick
  • mandirinmonroe
    • 16th Mar 06, 7:27 PM
    • 16th Mar 06, 7:27 PM
    sounds awful but might give it a try!
    Goooooo with the Flowwwwww
  • leonie
    • 4th Apr 06, 9:27 AM
    • 4th Apr 06, 9:27 AM
    Right guys, im giving this a go today!

I've never done gammon in a slow cooker before, so how long shall I cook it for please?

I shall do the glaze and roast it for about 20 mins afterwards and I dont want it to be overcooked :-)

Gammon and homemade potato wedges for tea... yum!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 4th Apr 06, 9:44 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 4th Apr 06, 9:44 AM
    • 4th Apr 06, 9:44 AM
    Right guys, im giving this a go today!

I've never done gammon in a slow cooker before, so how long shall I cook it for please?

I shall do the glaze and roast it for about 20 mins afterwards and I dont want it to be overcooked :-)

Gammon and homemade potato wedges for tea... yum!
    by leonie
    There are a few threads listed in our collection which are about cooking gammon and which will help you out here

The Complete Slow Cooker Collection
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • leonie
    • 4th Apr 06, 1:49 PM
    • 4th Apr 06, 1:49 PM
    Thanks Squeaky

I popped it in the slow cooker at 10am and will probably take it out around 5pm, then finish off in the oven with a honey glaze.

One thing I wasnt expecting is that the cola loses its colour!
  • ladygrey
    will it dry out if finished in the oven?
    • Crispy Ambulance
    • By Crispy Ambulance 4th Apr 06, 5:48 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 6,163 Thanks
    Crispy Ambulance
    It never has when I have made it.
    • rosy
    • By rosy 4th Apr 06, 6:01 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 852 Thanks
    rosy
    If you like the gammon in coke, can I suggest you try Nigella's version using cherry coke - I've done both and we all prefer the taste of the cherry coke version ( with a black cherry jam glaze). Though I try not to think of all the additives that must be going into the meat....
    • Mics_chick
    • By Mics_chick 14th Jun 07, 6:39 PM
    • 11,689 Posts
    • 11,569 Thanks
    Mics_chick
    What to cook with gammon joint in a slowcooker? WITH COLA????
    My mum's given me a gammon joint she hasn't used yet - don't know why?

But I thought about cooking it in the slowcooker but can I cook veggies with it or just put it in on it's own?
    Last edited by Mics_chick; 14-06-2007 at 8:13 PM.
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs
    • oops a daisy
    • By oops a daisy 14th Jun 07, 6:49 PM
    • 2,427 Posts
    • 3,467 Thanks
    oops a daisy
    Im sure somebody else will be along soon with more advice but Im sure I read somewhere on here that it is really nice to cook it in a slowcooker with a can of coke but if you dont fancy that just bung it in with all the veggies and a bit of water. Not sure about the salt content though as Gammon can have a lot of salt in it and if I cook it on the top of the stove I would change the water after boiling it to reduce the salt so:confused: anyway as I said somebody will be along soon who knows much more about it than me :rolleyes:
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member #37 Debt free Feb 07
  • Jayar
    Agree with oops a daisy. I'd start it off on the stove top and change the water before putting it in the slow cooker. And you can put in on its own, but it's just as easy (and much nicer) to put the veg in with it.
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
    • Mics_chick
    • By Mics_chick 14th Jun 07, 8:14 PM
    • 11,689 Posts
    • 11,569 Thanks
    Mics_chick
    Im sure somebody else will be along soon with more advice but Im sure I read somewhere on here that it is really nice to cook it in a slowcooker with a can of coke but if you dont fancy that just bung it in with all the veggies and a bit of water. Not sure about the salt content though as Gammon can have a lot of salt in it and if I cook it on the top of the stove I would change the water after boiling it to reduce the salt so:confused: anyway as I said somebody will be along soon who knows much more about it than me :rolleyes:
    Originally posted by oops a daisy
    Thanks oops I've changed the thread title to hopefully find out more about the cola thing...:confused:
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs
  • boo81
    Nigella Lawson and various other chefs have done the cooking with cola, cherry coke works best. It just gives it a bit of a sweetness and makes it more tender. My brother tried it at christmas and there was a difference between the cherry cola and normal ones, it was much nicer!!
    • Mics_chick
    • By Mics_chick 14th Jun 07, 8:26 PM
    • 11,689 Posts
    • 11,569 Thanks
    Mics_chick
    Nigella Lawson and various other chefs have done the cooking with cola, cherry coke works best. It just gives it a bit of a sweetness and makes it more tender. My brother tried it at christmas and there was a difference between the cherry cola and normal ones, it was much nicer!!
    Originally posted by boo81
    Could you really taste the cherry flavour or was it quite subtle - my OH hates sweet sauces and things with meat...
  • boo81
    It wasnt a strong flavour at all, im trying to think of something to liken it to but I cant. Oh, sort of like when something is honey roasted, you can taste the difference but you wouldnt identify it as being sweet. Does that make sense?
    • Mics_chick
    • By Mics_chick 14th Jun 07, 8:31 PM
    • 11,689 Posts
    • 11,569 Thanks
    Mics_chick
    It wasnt a strong flavour at all, im trying to think of something to liken it to but I cant. Oh, sort of like when something is honey roasted, you can taste the difference but you wouldnt identify it as being sweet. Does that make sense?
    Originally posted by boo81
    Yep - that explains it's brilliantly - thanks

It should be ok for my OH then - I'll definitely give it a try...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,593Posts Today

5,722Users online

Martin's Twitter