Brazier smokeless fuel for multi-burner

Asda are currently out of stock of Brazier smokeless fuel (10kg £4) and despite googling, can't find another store that has some & delivers it. We've only recently made the change from logs to this product and find it more than satisfactory.

It may be that you've used it and another equally as good product, but as we haven't. would welcome your advice.

Comments

• firefox1956
    firefox1956 Posts: 1,548 Forumite
    https://www.coals2u.co.uk/brazier-smokeless-coal-10kg
    Free delivery on orders over £30.00
    Not used the company so cant comment on their service etc
    HTH
  • DREKLY
    DREKLY Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Islandman ! I too am experimenting with different smokeless coal ovoids
    from different suppliers, today I just bought a 25Kg bag of Brazier from my
    local cash n carry (in Penzance!!),
    and also 2 x 10Kg bags of Aldi's own ovals, £4 each, to try out...

I have been using B&M's "Blaze" which is the same price, but they store it outside, the bags have small ventilation holes, so it gets wet inside when it rains, which is 8 days a week down here :(

I have also used "Thermaheat" from my local garage, a similar price, but
    the ovals are very much smaller, and don't burn as well as larger ones.

I am using this in an ancient Rayburn kitchen stove, but find it hard to keep in all night (it goes out to look for other old stoves to mate with, I think...)

So try another source for ovoids, but beware, garages tend to charge much more than supermarkets - what stove/ burner are you using ?
    16 x Enhance 250w panels + SolarEdge Inverter + TREES :(
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Please do be a little careful with smokeless fuels. Quite a number of the less expensive ones contain petcoke (petroleum coke) and this burns at a greater heat than the firebars of some devices can handle. Some stove and appliance manufacturers specifically warn against using products of this kind.

I have experimented with many different smokeless fuels over the years and the best I have found by a long way in terms of price/performance is one called Stovemaster which is sold online by a company called Housefuel. They are at www.housefuel.co.uk
    Needless to say, I have absolutely no connection with the company other than as a customer.

I have so far used just under two metric tonnes of Stovemaster and can report nothing but good about both the product and the company that sells it. It doesn't contain any petcoke at all, I'm told, though Housefuel sells two other smokeless types that do contain it.

Brazier is a good, lower priced fuel, as are Newflame and Taybrite, but in my experience, if you can afford to buy in bulk, Stovemaster is better value than all of them.

Hope that's some help.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 January 2017 at 6:24PM
    Drekley, hi, I am very familiar with Penzance and have been since before Neil Armstrong landed on the moon. Ive had countless holidays on St Marys' I fact one year we could get accommodation there, so we stayed in Penzance. It so happened that it was the very day the Helicopter crashed in the sea an d we were in Panzance. Sod's law.

Our boiler is The Arden Multifuel Stove made by Valor. We saw people buying Brazier and asked them for their opinions. One chap said he had used it ten years. We too two bags home (3.99 each). All I can say is that we were both amazed with it. Just a nice glow and easily controllable. We have an echo fan on the top and it was still rotating in the morning and the embers were still red, even though we hadn't thought of it still alight. We had a delivery from Asda, but there is a restriction of five bags, so we topped up with something else for minimum amount of £25, then selected the £1 slot. A few days later and we ordered again but they are out of stock. I think I have read up about all similar products but wanted Brazier. In the end, I phoned the company in Derbyshire and discovered they supply Asda. Anyway, I have ordered 15 of the 10kg bags, free delivery and its coming on Friday. The bags hopefully will be dry and they will go in one of my two sheds. I had expected the charge to be 15 times £3.99, but there is a slight increase, total is £61.95. They do 25 kg bags. If you were to go along this route, let me know, as you and I would get a discount as it would be a recommendation.

have a look and a read https://www.logs2u.co.uk/logs2u/coal-0

A.Badger, because I have now ordered, I won't study your post now, but have made a note to look at it in detail tomorrow. I've only just got up, (4pm) as I have kidney problems and needed to let medication kick in
  • DREKLY
    edited 1 February 2017 at 1:32AM
    Thanks for reply, Islandman, here's a photo of the ancient beast that
    I have rescusitated, circa 1950's..... :beer:

thumbnail_IMG_20161208_165455_zpsmyhrgrvw.jpg
  • System
    edited 2 February 2017 at 8:43AM
    Omg, will send a pic of ours later, still in bed.

https://s27.postimg.org/cxmctwe3n/IMG_0992.jpg
  • System
    This Brazier smokeless fuel, is far better than we ever expected. There isn't a need to add any fuel after 7 pm and left untouched, there a red embers 22 hrs later. Should anyone be considering them, I have a 10% discount voucher for myself and anyone that places an order with cpl, the distributors.
  • For the last couple of years I have been buying Burnbrite from CoalMaster.

I had found Brazier to be ideal in my stove and was trying to find out where I could buy in bulk. CoalMaster stock it so I rang them up to have a chat and they advised me that Burnbrite was actually repackaged Brazier.

I bought half a pallet to try it out and found it was exactly the same shape with the two different sized ovoids and performed exactly the same as Brazier so as far as I was concered it was Brazier just a lot cheaper when brought in bulk - down to about £3.20 a bag if I remember.

http://www.coalmaster.co.uk/ScProductDetail/_smokeless-coal/premium-smokeless-coal_55.aspx
  • System
    Thanks, will follow that through tomorrow.
  • DREKLY
    Hi Islandman, are you back to burning your Bra ziers again?
    I found a supply of 25kg bags, for £13 a bag, so bought one
    to compare...
    The ovals look much the same as what's in Aldi's product,
    and they burn much the same too, so it wouldn't suprise me
    that these ovals all come from the same source, and are just
    bagged up for different suppliers !
    The photo of your stove looks very impressive by the way,
    I love all the brickwork detail ; my stove is in the kitchen,
    next to an airing cupboard containing the immersion tank,
    it's about 90F in the cupboard, and the water is well hot !
    so it looks a bit more "agricultural" than a lounge installation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport