Ebico moved me to a different provider without my permission.

Options
I am in dispute with SSE who seem to have taken over my accounts from Ebico yet have not taken over that outfit. One bill is for £110, nearly all of which is for standing charge and VAT. It's always been my understanding that Ebico used SSE for billing and CSs, because I originally applied through the Ebico website and not SSE's.
Last year I received conflicting letters, one fro Ebico and one from SSE claiming me as their customer. I did nothing as I figured that without any agreement to change, SSE wouldn't be able to enforce this.
Where do I stand, please?

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Perhaps if you posted this in the 'Energy' section, where all the other posts relating to electricity supplies are, you may get more replies than in the 'LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels' section
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Options
    But this is the Energy section, it tells you in the flow chart in blue at the top (>). There are only 2 sub boards but as one of these is 'Water Bills' it looks like somebody has made a !!!! up! However I don't know what other heading domestic gas and electricity would come under but there are three such threads currently on page 1 of this sub forum.
  • DJC1690
    DJC1690 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

you need to go to the link im putin into this post by the way
    Ebico / SSE partnership has ended (2017)
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5608866
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    But this is the Energy section, it tells you in the flow chart in blue at the top (>). There are only 2 sub boards but as one of these is 'Water Bills' it looks like somebody has made a !!!! up! However I don't know what other heading domestic gas and electricity would come under but there are three such threads currently on page 1 of this sub forum.

I agree that it's not clear, however, the majority of posts about mains electricity (and mains gas) appear to be under the main 'Energy' section.
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 November 2018 at 4:27PM
    Options
    I am in dispute with SSE who seem to have taken over my accounts from Ebico yet have not taken over that outfit. One bill is for £110, nearly all of which is for standing charge and VAT. It's always been my understanding that Ebico used SSE for billing and CSs, because I originally applied through the Ebico website and not SSE's.
    Last year I received conflicting letters, one fro Ebico and one from SSE claiming me as their customer. I did nothing as I figured that without any agreement to change, SSE wouldn't be able to enforce this.
    Where do I stand, please?

Ebico are not a licenced energy supplier, hence they provide energy care of licenced supplier.
    Ebico originally worked in partnership with SSE; but in 2017 changed their supply partnership agreement to Robin Hood Energy (RHE)

Ther can be no dispute who supplied your your electricity [or gas], not least becase every SSE bill/statement clearly stated:
    ...EquiPower [or EquiGas] is supplied under SSE and associated brands: Southern Electric, Scottish Hydro and SWALEC which are all trading names of SSE Energy Supply Limited [or Southern Electric Gas Limited, for gas] which is a member of the SSE Group....
    Under Ofgem regulations, you cannot be switched from one licenced supplier to another, without your express permission. (unless Ofgem orders it, such as when a SoLR is appointed following the collapse of your supplier)

This was discussed at length at the time here on MSE, not least as those rules were not initially understood by some of those involved.
    You would have been contacted both by Ebico and SSE at the time about this.

Here is a letter dated 19/03/2017 from the MD of Ebico that clarifies the situation:
    https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/another-letter-from-sse-to-ebico-customers-a-personal-response-by-phil-levermore-md-ebico-ltd/
    I know that Ebico’s former supply partner, SSE, has recently written to EquiGas & EquiPower customers about their ‘SSE Zero Electric’ and ‘SSE Zero Gas’ tariffs. I wanted to clear up any confusion this might have caused as soon as possible....

The letter informs the reader that Ebico can’t transfer EquiGas/EquiPower customers to the Ebico Zero tariff unless the customer actively asks for it, which I accept....

So, to be clear, customers who have not yet let us know that they would like to switch to Ebico Zero, and do not tell us soon that they would like to do so, will remain supplied by SSE at the more expensive energy rates ...
    As you did nothing about this, you are still supplied by SSE.
    You would therefore also have been contacted by SSE some time later (July 2017?), when they changed your tariff to their SVT.
    https://ebico.org.uk/ebico-news/closure-of-equigas-and-equipower/
    (although in some cases this took up to another 6-7 months to occur)

What exactly are you in dispute with SSE about? When did you start this dispute?Will you continue with your dispute now you have been reminded of what happened?
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 November 2018 at 12:46PM
    Options
    But this is the Energy section, it tells you in the flow chart in blue at the top (>).

No this is the LPG, Heating Oil, Solid & Other Fuels sub-board of the Energy section

The Energy board was formally known as the Gas & Electricity board ... until the powers that be elected to change the name 4 years ago
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4882648
    ... it looks like somebody has made a !!!! up! ...

Not just one, I would hazzard a guess ;)
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I agree with you KS - why there isn't a sub-board for Gas and Electricity alongside Water and LPG etc I don't know. The design of the Board is not consumer friendly.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport