1 Bedroom Flat Electric Bills

Options
2»

Comments

• kat2908
    Options
    We have made three payments of £34 and then had £50 free credit to start with. There’s an app where you can check your balance- I am 100% sure it is in credit. We have not been billed the new amount yet and we pay it by DD monthly.

I physically can’t stand being cold so have the heater on for the few hours that I’m sat down watching TV- it’s 400-800w and this must be our biggest contributor, but my usage of it won’t change even when it’s colder. I’ve just purchased an electric throw that is 150w and I hope will be cheaper to use when sitting watching TV. As Bulb is still coming up as the cheapest tariff on comparison sites, I guess there is nothing much I can do

Thanks for the replies.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    kat2908 wrote: »
    The bill says we’re on a vari-fair tariff. It also says that we’re apparently on the cheapest overall and the cheapest similar tarrif.

That's based on Bulb's tariffs, not neccessarily what's out in the rest of the market - AFAIK Bulb reckon that they only have "one" although the costs per kwh are different for whether you are on a single rate or E7 so the split bewteen peak and off-peak can make a big difference to your cost especially in the winter if you are using on demand heating rather than storage heaters..

If you are on an E7 tariff ideally you need to reduce your daytime consumption and use it at night if possible. Make your bread over night, run the washing machine overnight, heat your hot water overnight and if you've got an electric shower have your shower after midnight or before 7am to maximise your off peak use.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How do you heat the water?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Bulb is not always the best - use a comparison site to look at the whole market. Have a close look at the vari fair - I think you will find there is a E7 version at about 15.7 day / 8.6 night. What rates does your bill show ?

Certainly my Flow tariff beats Bulb on both unit cost and standing charge.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport