Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Lucinda
    • By MSE Lucinda 25th Jan 17, 10:31 AM
    • 46Posts
    • 6Thanks
    MSE Lucinda
    0 WOW
    Phone photos accepted for online passport renewals - don't send selfies
    • 25th Jan 17, 10:31 AM
    0 WOW
    Phone photos accepted for online passport renewals - don't send selfies 25th Jan 17 at 10:31 AM
    Millions of UK travellers will no longer have to pay to print out passport pictures in photobooths, as photos taken on your phone can now be used for online renewals - but 'selfies' are not allowed....
    Read the full story:
    Photos taken on your phone accepted for online passport renewals - but don't send 'selfies'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 1
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 25th Jan 17, 11:09 AM
    • 9,520 Posts
    • 31,960 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 25th Jan 17, 11:09 AM
    • 25th Jan 17, 11:09 AM
    Why stress over the selfie - find the suitably coloured wall & hand your beloved phone to a trusted pal & go through the rules and take a bundle of shots - then weed them & see if any of them make the grade.

Asda machines will print 6 passport sized shots from a smartphone on one sheet for less than a pound (& I think Boots do too) so if the passport systems refuse the digital image, then a paper copy is not that far away.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 25th Jan 17, 11:32 AM
    • 4,133 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 25th Jan 17, 11:32 AM
    • 25th Jan 17, 11:32 AM
    I successfully did this 2-3 months ago when I renewed my passport.

Note: it seems the online application is a bit too pessimistic over whether an uploaded photo is acceptable. It will probably be initially rejected with an indication of the reason why (seems a very common occurrence going by numerous other posts across the internet), but if you don't agree with the rejection, carry on regardless (giving the reason that you don't believe the rejection is valid).
    Mine was later accepted without further question, presumably after it was manually re-assessed.
    (Iirc, I think the initial automatic rejection was because of shadows on the photo, which I refuted)

Got my renewed passport within 7 days of application (and part of that delay seemed to be slow delivery of my old passport to the passport office by RM). Got my initial acceptance of renewal the same working day, and by the second working day they were reminding me to send off my old passport (which I already had) as they cannot issue the new one without receipt of the old one.

Note: One downside of online application is that you now have to sign the passport yourself when it arrives (as opposed to the signature already being part of the printed details)
    You should do this with a BLACK, BALL POINT pen.
    It took me quite a while to find these details. Do not confuse with US passport requirements where it needs to be black, but not a ball point pen.
    Last edited by footyguy; 25-01-2017 at 11:46 AM.
    • fabsaver
    • By fabsaver 25th Jan 17, 11:52 AM
    • 973 Posts
    • 3,454 Thanks
    fabsaver
    • 25th Jan 17, 11:52 AM
    • 25th Jan 17, 11:52 AM
    I did this when I renewed my passport last September. It took a while though, as numerous photos kept getting rejected for various reasons. The final accepted one looks like it was taken in a morgue

When I renewed my driving licence online recently I didn't even need to submit a new photo. They automatically used the one from my passport. Great - now I'm stuck with that morgue photo for 10 years on both documents
    • richardw
    • By richardw 25th Jan 17, 12:02 PM
    • 19,004 Posts
    • 8,016 Thanks
    richardw
    • 25th Jan 17, 12:02 PM
    • 25th Jan 17, 12:02 PM
    Be careful of the thick rimmed spectacles objection.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
    • fabsaver
    • By fabsaver 25th Jan 17, 12:14 PM
    • 973 Posts
    • 3,454 Thanks
    fabsaver
    • 25th Jan 17, 12:14 PM
    • 25th Jan 17, 12:14 PM
    Note: One downside of online application is that you now have to sign the passport yourself when it arrives (as opposed to the signature already being part of the printed details)
    You should do this with a BLACK, BALL POINT pen.
    It took me quite a while to find these details. Do not confuse with US passport requirements where it needs to be black, but not a ball point pen.
    Originally posted by footyguy
    My passport has my signature pre-printed on the photo page. I don't recall have to sign anything at the time, so they must have had my signature stored already. Likewise my new driving licence has my signature printed on it, but my application was completed wholly online.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 25th Jan 17, 1:04 PM
    • 22,823 Posts
    • 18,835 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 25th Jan 17, 1:04 PM
    • 25th Jan 17, 1:04 PM
    This thread seems to suggest it's rather hit and miss and not to be relied on.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5480584
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 25th Jan 17, 1:08 PM
    • 29,148 Posts
    • 11,964 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 25th Jan 17, 1:08 PM
    • 25th Jan 17, 1:08 PM
    Ive done several driving licences using my phone.

I have then edited the pictures, changed the background wall colour and even edited someones acne out.

Never had one returned.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 25th Jan 17, 2:32 PM
    • 8,214 Posts
    • 7,064 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 25th Jan 17, 2:32 PM
    • 25th Jan 17, 2:32 PM
    I've used this for a passport photo. http://www.idphoto4you.com/

It worked well. Printed in Tescos for about 30p. I expect it will give a single photo as a file.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 25th Jan 17, 4:15 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    We should be making it more difficult for ID thieves.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/passport-check-send

I would prefer a HD webcam in a bigger Post office, so they check your IDs as well.
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 26th Jan 17, 10:14 AM
    • 808 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    jon81uk
    We should be making it more difficult for ID thieves.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/passport-check-send

I would prefer a HD webcam in a bigger Post office, so they check your IDs as well.
    Originally posted by Pincher
    The new system only applies to renewal, so you still have to send the old passport off and they can compare the old photo to the new photo and confirm you are still the same person. I don't see why uploading a photo online instead of posting one in makes a passport renewal less secure.
    • 2013yearofthehouse
    • By 2013yearofthehouse 26th Jan 17, 1:32 PM
    • 2,549 Posts
    • 44,996 Thanks
    2013yearofthehouse
    I renewed my passport 3 years ago using a selfie!

I used a 10 mega pixel compact camera, rather than a phone, but the photo was accepted no problem. I just took the photo against a cream wall in my house, cropped the photo down to the required size (which removed my arm showing that I was holding the camera myself) and printed it out at home to send off in the post. Same photo used for my drivers licence too.

Being able to do it online next time will be useful - will still probably use a selfie though!
    Last edited by 2013yearofthehouse; 26-01-2017 at 1:40 PM.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 26th Jan 17, 2:53 PM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    My expectation is very low.

They probably subcontracted G4S to hire minimum wage slaves who barely glance at these photos.

One of these days, your passport will turn up with the picture of a cute puppy, or whatever happened to be on your phone.

If a post office did, it, I could check it before it's sent.
    • novelty-socks
    • By novelty-socks 26th Jan 17, 9:07 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    novelty-socks
    I used this a few months ago. Really impressed by the speed and ease of use of the service. I assume it's one of the areas where the GOV.UK digital team has been implementing it, rather than relying on Capita or some other outsourcing rubbish.
    • smudge56
    • By smudge56 1st Feb 17, 10:36 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    smudge56
    My passport has my signature pre-printed on the photo page. I don't recall have to sign anything at the time, so they must have had my signature stored already. Likewise my new driving licence has my signature printed on it, but my application was completed wholly online.
    Originally posted by fabsaver
    All passports issued from Monday will have to be signed after receipt no matter how you submitted your application.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 2nd Feb 17, 7:54 AM
    • 22,823 Posts
    • 18,835 Thanks
    agrinnall
    All passports issued from Monday will have to be signed after receipt no matter how you submitted your application.
    Originally posted by smudge56
    What's your source for this? I don't disbelieve you, but I have just received my new passport and it already included my signature so I'm not sure why that system would be stopped.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 2nd Feb 17, 3:20 PM
    • 4,769 Posts
    • 39,541 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Originally posted by smudge56
    Having just posted application form off today I hope that is not the case. At least when it was scanned in it was protected by the lamination. If it is added later there is a greater chance to get messy /wear off!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..6470cc+3045mm (£3.04.5) + RK £8.03
    • smudge56
    • By smudge56 3rd Feb 17, 8:12 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    smudge56
    What's your source for this? I don't disbelieve you, but I have just received my new passport and it already included my signature so I'm not sure why that system would be stopped.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Your passport will have been issued and printed before 30th January. Any issued and printed after that date will no longer have the signature printed on them. These will have to be signed with a black ball point pen. Using a black ball point pen avoids fading apparently
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 3rd Feb 17, 9:08 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 1,091 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    Having just posted application form off today I hope that is not the case. At least when it was scanned in it was protected by the lamination. If it is added later there is a greater chance to get messy /wear off!
    Originally posted by Katiehound
    It will need to be signed with a black ball point pen.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/signing-your-new-passport/signing-your-new-passport
    • katies mum
    • By katies mum 6th Feb 17, 12:36 PM
    • 2,078 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    katies mum
    Applied for renewal passport last Monday 30th January. My daughter took about 10 photos of me with her phone and we downloaded the one we thought was the best, it was easy to do and was approved subject to them checking the likeness to my old passport. Posted my old passport the same day.
    Today I have received my new passport (just got to sign it). What brilliant service from the Passport office at the moment, it took 1 week.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,887Posts Today

7,582Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Gumtree: @MartinSLewis Hi Martin, we do not tolerate unscrupulous advertising by third parties on the Gumtree platform and are working?

• Today's Twitter Poll: How do you view nuclear power? Is it an environmentally friendly form of clean renewable ene? https://t.co/WE5pRJ1Jsx

• So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Follow Martin