PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

HMO, New Guidelines and Eviction

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and this my first post :wave: I've done a lot research into my question but I can't find an answer. I'm hoping someone on the forum will know one way or the other.

I live in a HMO with 4 other tenants. Under the current guidelines it doesn't need to be licensed. On the 1st October 2018 the law is changing and the property will need to be licensed. My landlord told the other tenants and I he was evicting us all due to constant arguing and trouble in the house (the arguing bit is true). We have all been served with a section 21 notice (I'm reasonably well informed in this area). Something didn't sit right with me so after a lot of looking at other possible reasons I found out about the new guidelines.

The house is a bit of a dump (I'm on benefits, limited choice). It won't meet the current guidelines without £10,000's being spent on it. This is obviously the real reason for the eviction. There must be a lot of HMO tenants in the same position. Which hopefully somebody in the government realised when they amended the law. Does anybody know if there were any new laws introduced at the same time to protect the tenants from eviction?

I know the section 21 notice is a no fault eviction and can't be fought unless they make a mistake. Such as the deposit not being in the DPS, no gas certificate etc. I'm hoping that along with the new guidelines there were some new rules put in place such as the aforementioned which might help. I know it's a bit of a long shot. But, I can live in hope!

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport