MSE Poll: Is it OK to use a vch on a first date?

Options
Poll started 13 February 2018

Is it OK to use a 2for1 voucher on a first date?

It’s Valentine’s, so we want to know if it’s acceptable to use a 2for1 restaurant voucher on a first date.

We’ve asked this over previous years - so let’s see if attitudes have changed..

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    Considering the acronym VCH is generally used to describe a rather intimate piercing, my reaction on seeing this thread title was a bit:

giphy.gif

:rotfl::rotfl:
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    haha I was wondering why MSE would be asking about a VCH.
    I have honestly never heard it used as shorthand for voucher!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Perhaps an edit is needed here because like those above my mind went to 'How do you use a VCH on a first date?!
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • epm-84
    epm-84 Posts: 2,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think any of the following would be acceptable:

1. Robert to produce the voucher and then suggest they split the remainder of the bill.
    2. Robert to suggest Ashley can have the free meal and he'll pay for his. (Ashley could propose an alternative rather than accepting that.)
    3. Robert to produce the voucher and Ashley to say "You brought the voucher you get the free meal." (Robert could propose an alternative rather than accepting that.)

I also think it would be stupid for Robert to not use the voucher before it's expiry date just because he felt uncomfortable with using it on a date.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Speaking as somebody who was never taken to a restaurant even after weeks/months/years of dating .... I think that anybody who is prepared to take you out to be fed on a first date's streets ahead of the pack anyway, so who cares how they pay for it?

So long as they've not got a "2 for 1" voucher and ask for your half the bill then plonk their voucher down as that's an 4rse-kicking moment.

I'm trying to remember the last time I even got a card....I think it was about 1990.
  • epm-84
    Options
    Interesting to note the difference in attitudes between age so far in the poll. Most women under 35 don't expect Robert to pay the reminder, while most women over 35 do.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    epm-84 wrote: »
    Interesting to note the difference in attitudes between age so far in the poll. Most women under 35 don't expect Robert to pay the reminder, while most women over 35 do.

The question isn't "Do you expect the man to pay on a first date?" so you can't draw that conclusion from the results.
  • epm-84
    Options
    The question isn't "Do you expect the man to pay on a first date?" so you can't draw that conclusion from the results.

There is a poll option which states "It’s not an issue, Robert’s still paying" and so far less than half of women under 35 selected it and more than half of women over 35 selected it. My observation was simply there's a different in attitude between older and younger women. I didn't try to claim that most women over 35 expect the man to pay for a date, as you seem to be suggesting.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    epm-84 wrote: »
    There is a poll option which states "It’s not an issue, Robert’s still paying" and so far less than half of women under 35 selected it and more than half of women over 35 selected it. My observation was simply there's a different in attitude between older and younger women. I didn't try to claim that most women over 35 expect the man to pay for a date, as you seem to be suggesting.

Your interpretation of the results for "It’s not an issue, Robert’s still paying" as as equating to "Most women under 35 don't expect Robert to pay the reminder, while most women over 35 do." came across as suggesting exactly that.
  • epm-84
    Options
    Your interpretation of the results for "It’s not an issue, Robert’s still paying" as as equating to "Most women under 35 don't expect Robert to pay the reminder, while most women over 35 do." came across as suggesting exactly that.

Your earlier post said

That's correct but your latest post isn't. The question is what should Ashley do in this particular situation where Robert produces a 2 for 1 voucher, not for first dates in general. There are 3 possible options and one of them effectively says Robert pays for the date but it doesn't matter how he pays for the date. That option is more popular with older women (where more than half select it), than with younger ones (where more than half select other options.)

I’m a woman aged under 25 (152 votes)
    Robert’s great with cash. HE’S A KEEPER! 78 votes (51%)
    It’s not an issue, Robert’s still paying. 53 votes (35%)
    Robert’s being tight. RUN! 21 votes (14%)

I’m a woman aged 25 to 34 (683 votes)
    Robert’s great with cash. HE’S A KEEPER! 305 votes (45%)
    It’s not an issue, Robert’s still paying. 294 votes (43%)
    Robert’s being tight. RUN! 84 votes (12%)

I’m a woman aged 35 to 49 (942 votes)
    Robert’s great with cash. HE’S A KEEPER! 329 votes (35%)
    It’s not an issue, Robert’s still paying. 484 votes (51%)
    Robert’s being tight. RUN! 129 votes (14%)

I’m a woman aged 50 to 64 (884 votes)
    Robert’s great with cash. HE’S A KEEPER! 249 votes (28%)
    It’s not an issue, Robert’s still paying. 496 votes (56%)
    Robert’s being tight. RUN! 139 votes (16%)

I’m a woman aged 65+ (354 votes)
    Robert’s great with cash. HE’S A KEEPER! 71 votes (20%)
    It’s not an issue, Robert’s still paying. 219 votes (62%)
    Robert’s being tight. RUN! 64 votes (18%)

Anyone who thinks Ashley should pay in part or full would not select the middle option. From these results so far you can't conclude that 35% of women under 25 think Robert should pay as the first and third options don't suggest who should pay but what Ashley should do after the date. However, you can conclude that at least 35% think if Robert pulls out a 2 for 1 voucher then he should pay for the date.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure