IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Irrelevant Defences and How To Avoid Them

Options
Based on direct experience of appearing in dozens of small claims parking case hearings, I believe i can say with some authority what is likely to work, and what isn't. We see on these forums many examples of completely irrelevant defence points posted by OPs who have simply cut and pasted an out-of-date template from somewhere, and sometimes unfortunately well-meaning but wrong advice from some of the regulars here, who have no real world experience of arguing before a Judge.

This non-exhaustive list will help posters to avoid using defences which are unlikely to advance their case, and which are more likely to turn the Judge against them.

No loss to PPC: There doesn't have to be any more, since the Supreme Court ruling in Parking Eye v Beavis. All they have to show is that there is a legitimate interest in enforcing the rules of the car park. So don't use phrases like 'genuine pre-estimate of loss' (GPEOL), that's a guaranteed loser. Also, the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999 (UTCCR) is a dead duck following that Beavis ruling.

Not the Driver: The Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (POFA) gave PPCs the ability to pursue vehicle keepers if the driver's indentity is not known. In order to do so, their paperwork must comply with the strict wording of that legislation. If it does, then it doesn't matter whether you were driving or not, they can claim against you. If it does not (and you need to go through it with a fine toothcomb) AND you can show that you weren't driving, you can argue that they have no basis for keeper liability, and can only pursue the driver.

No Planning Permission for Signage: Many PPCs erect signage without first obtaining permission from the Council to do so. But that is only relevant if you can show evidence that the Council has commenced enforcement action against the PPC, then you could plead the illegality defence. Otherwise, a Judge is unlikely to consider this point.

PPC has previously been suspended from DVLA data access: So what. That is not relevant to your case.

Complaints have been lodged against their solicitors: Again, so what. That won't affect your case.

No Letter Before Claim / Pre-action Protocols not followed: At worst, the PPC will get a slapped wrist from the Judge. But it won't be fatal to their case.

Distinguishing your case from Beavis: The fact that Parking Eye paid £1,000 a week to operate in that case makes no difference at all, the arrangements between landowner and PPC are not relevant, as has been ruled by the higher courts. You need to concentrate on things that make your case substantially different, otherwise you're unlikely to win.

I didn't see the signs: Unless you can demonstrate, with evidence, that the signage in the car park was obscured, printed in a tiny font, high up on poles or otherwise unreadable, this is a rubbish argument. The signs are there to be seen, and you should have seen them.

I can't afford to pay: This cuts no ice with Judges, and is not a reason for dismissing the claim. If Judgment is given against you, you can agree a monthly payment plan with the Claimant, but that's discretionary.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.

Comments

• Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Bargepole:
    Have you seen any pay and display cases come before the courts?
  • hoohoo
    hoohoo Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Options
    Castle wrote: »
    Bargepole:
    Have you seen any pay and display cases come before the courts?

There have been some, but these were not won on distinguishing from Beavis, but that there was an error with the payment machine.

Possible Winning points

P&D Machine error
    Visited twice and ANPR error
    Resident parking and lease gives permission to park
    Bad signage (but only if it is bad signage)
    Signage is forbidding, so there was not contract to break. A trespass occurred instead.
    Not the driver and POFA was not followed
    Landowner gave prior permission to park
    Frustration of contract due to illness/breakdown
    Equality Act 2010 applies

There are other possible winning points and so this is not exhaustive. It has to be said these are not guaranteed wins either. Small claims is a lottery and there are good and bad judges just like in every profession.

I think it fair to say that parking law is actually one of the most complicated areas of the law with so many nuances and twists, and a lot of the DDJs just don't understand it.
    Dedicated to driving up standards in parking
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hoohoo;
    Don't forget "driving around looking for a space" is not parking and following Jopson, stopping is not parking.
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 11 November 2016 at 6:29PM
    Options
    Also, the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999 (UTCCR) is a dead duck following that Beavis ruling.

What about the Unfair Contracts Regulations 2015, Section 62?
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    Also, the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations 1999 (UTCCR) is a dead duck following that Beavis ruling.

What about the Unfair Contracts Regulations 2015, Section 62?
    I think you mean s62 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

It hasn't been tested in court AFAIK, but it sets out similar provisions about imbalance of rights as the UTCCR, so I don't think it's likely to be a winner.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • chicochad
    Options
    What if the PPC did not have planning authority when you got the PCN but was invited or told to apply for planning by the Local authority a year latter,will that help the case??
    :beer:
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chicochad wrote: »
    What if the PPC did not have planning authority when you got the PCN but was invited or told to apply for planning by the Local authority a year latter,will that help the case??
    Only if the Council took the PPC to court for the breach of planning regs. Otherwise, this won't be a winning point.

• Ivor_Pecheque
    Options
    This whole law malarkey seems a bit of a lottery. Ask 10 different judges for an opinion, you get 10 different opinions.

Worse than doctors.

Of course, the parking companies know this, and cash in on the fact.
    Illegitimi non carborundum:)
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,697 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    chicochad wrote: »

Hello chicochad, I remember you I think... :)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • hoohoo
    hoohoo Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Options
    This whole law malarkey seems a bit of a lottery. Ask 10 different judges for an opinion, you get 10 different opinions.

Worse than doctors.

Of course, the parking companies know this, and cash in on the fact.

I'm pretty sure you would get 15 different opinions.
    Dedicated to driving up standards in parking
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure