Extending our house without extending ourselves beyond our means

I, like many, have been so inspired by many others diaries (crazy cat lady, Pippi, Brizzle ) to name but a few. I thought it was time to start my own. I need somewhere to chart my progress. I often post on the small things thread on DFW which keeps me on the straight and narrow but I often have other ramblings beyond that and so I thought here would be a good place.

So what is my goal? Well our first aim is to pay off the last of our debt. We've done it before but our focus was different so we slipped in to some old ways (and some other more definite life choices) meant we had some debt. In May last year I started tracking agin and in September I upped the game, making every penny to overpayment and enjoying the balance go down on my spreadsheet.

The start of 2016 saw us in a good place, although still a chunk to go, we have already cleared another 25% so far in 2016 and today I cleared one card entirely :T we have a plan, a budget and are sticking to it. We want to build an extension this year too, which will see our mortgage go up rather than down in the short term, but again it's all part of the master plan and our aim will then be to overpay that until it's gone :)

So this diary will hopefully keep me on the straight and narrow, allow me to track my progress (along with my trusty spreadsheets!!) and give me a space for my ramblings when my head is working overtime (something that happens often :rotfl:)

So pull up a pew, grab a :coffee: or your tipple of choice you're more than welcome to join me :)

Comments

• PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    So, this has been one of my busiest weeks ever at my day job and I wasn't sure tonight would ever come :o but it has an it allowed me to do by big money juggle (as its payday:D). My bills account is now full for the month my various pots are full to bursting with their allocated spends in for when we need them.

I always panic a bit when the original amount goes down so much but I know that it works for us, so I need to be confident in my methodology.

I've also just cashed in my first survey £10 voucher from a new site I signed up to, I think it's taken me about 6 weeks to earn that so I am pleased. I also earned 25p on 1poll heading towards £40 - race is on with DH :p also got £2 for our sealed pot. Will also relist a couple of items on fleabay.p - actually second thoughts will wait until tomorrow or Sunday as I think Friday night is not best time. Chased a buyer for something that they made me a best offer on but they haven't paid yet.

It's a lovely end to the week knowing I have money in the 'right' places. Looking forward to a relaxing but productive weekend.

PF
  • Laura2014
    Laura2014 Posts: 82 Forumite
    Evening PF just wanted to wish you luck on your journey. It sound like you work the same way as me with different pots and bill money. I have subscribed to cheer you on xx
    Working to a better Life for our family

Total Debt - £6456.39
    Current Balance - £6170.39
    4.42% paid :j
  • PurpleFairy26
    Hi Laura - thanks for popping by and subscribing :hello: it's taken me a while to get to the stage I have with all my pots, in fact I added another 4 last month (and it worked really well) I am a bit of a spreadsheet freak so I just track them on there, it works for us even it seems complicated to others

This weekend will be about menu planning for next week and working out the minimal stuff we need from the shops for it - am going to market this morning to get cheap fruit and veg. I'll also get out in the garden tomorrow if it's nice, it's raining here at the moment so it won't be today.

Also need to list some things on fleabay/ selling pages to a) reduce clutter and b) make some extra funds. Target is £100 for month.

Enjoy your weekend folks
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 2 April 2016 at 8:50AM
    Purple Good luck:)

I have to say one of the things I've found mega motivating is the signature. I see it everytime I post and it keeps me on the straight and narrow.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Good luck!
    I will be subscribing and following your journey.
    What different pots do you have if you don't mind me asking?
    Its not something I can do yet as paying an IPA and on a basic bank account only but I really want to start that up in the future as I get myself back on the straight and narrow!
    Thanks
    CB
  • PurpleFairy26
    Bob agree on the signature, just need to work out what to put in it. Will add that to my to do list :D thanks for popping by :)
  • juliejim
    juliejim Posts: 7,943 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Morning Purple Fairy

Just though I'd pop in and wish you good luck.

I look forward to reading about your progress.

Jue
    NST #10 Steps 7K 2/30 10K 2/12 5 a day 3/30 NSD 0/20
    MBNA £5500
  • PurpleFairy26
    Thanks coffee bean and juliejim for popping by. Yesterday was lovely, girls thorough enjoyed 'messy play' lots of things I'm too OCD (which autocorrects to odd - which is probably also true :rotfl:) to do at home :o, family time in the afternoon, bit of decorating and then fakeaway and card game in the evening :T

I also paid £12 from fleabay to cc, already showing in balance too :T

Ordered free Kung fu panda film from link on here :D
    Free run today in the sunshine for exercise, very good for the soul. Good clean of bathroom using minimal products and cloths. Windows everywhere wide open to let in lovely weather and second load of washing already in the line :D

Found something else to list on fleabay too. Aim to list 5 today. Right off to do some stuff
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    I love how many funny terms we use on here to disguise the names of big retailers. To anyone else reading they must think we are insane...
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • OrangeFairy
    OrangeFairy Posts: 2,630 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    A big hello to PurpleFairy from OrangeFairy!

I really wish you luck on your journey - I have subscribed.

I am having a tough month money wise so am fleabaying everything I can!

OF x
    Orange Fairy
    House Purchased April 19 :) CC1=? CC2=? DH CC= Mortgage Overpay = £0 Savings = £0 Xmas savings = £0 Weightloss = 0 lb

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback