PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2016

VfM4meplse
VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 12 January 2016 at 6:07PM in Old style MoneySaving
Regulars on MSE will know that I love reading. Unfortunately I'm not the most disciplined, and often have several on the go, books are usually 3/4 read before I start a new one :o

I think I did reasonably well in 2015, as I made good inroads into my bookshelf although it groans with additional chazzer finds every month! This year's aim is to read a book a week, and ideally this thread will keep me on track, even if it means I give up some of my MSE forum browsing time! I plan to list what I have read, give a mark out of 10 and provide a brief comment.

Anyone is free to join me, although the danger is I shall just end up reading more we may be able to save each other time by identifying books we don't like, and why.

Wk 1 (w/e 3rd Jan 16): Astray by Emma Donoghue.
518%2B5kkvaJL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

8/10, a very engaging book of short stories, introduced me to a lot of history that had passed me by. I made a false start with this as I found the first story upsetting, but then revisited and somehow it was less so.
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!

Comments

• karren
    karren Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    a virtual bookclub, I love it!
    :A :j
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Sound great I have just finished the third of the trilogy by Jane Gardam books about 'Old Filth' really quite good.They were our book club books for the past couple of months and I have really enjoyed them.
    JackieO
    P.S. I am an inveterate reader and will read almost any books that I can I love Ken Follet and his Pillars of the Earth trilogy as well I think the only think I'm not keen on is chick-lit but love Ruth Rendell and mystery and crime novels Stuart Macbride has a new one due out soon and I will order it from the library
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Good thread, thanks OP.

I've just read The Marble Collector by Cecelia Aherne and enjoyed it.

Read a few Doug Johnstone books recently, love the fact they are set in and around Edinburgh, I like it when I can 'place' the story.
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'm currently on a bit of a non-fiction run and I've just finished 'And then there were nuns' by Jane Christmas, which I really enjoyed - it's the story of how the author spent a year living with various religious communities whilst she decided whether to become a nun. I'm currently reading 'Empty Mansions' by Bill Dedman. It's about Huguette Clark, who was one of the richest women in the world. It's a fascinating read ...
  • Rainy-Days
    Rainy-Days Posts: 1,454 Forumite
    Have a couple on the go at the mo - it may surprise you but it's life after death stuff!

A Little Light on Angels by Diana Cooper and the other is Journey of Souls (Case studies of life between lives) by Michael Newton PH.D

Both fascinating books but the Journey of Souls is intense at times - just under halfway through on both of them but I can leave them walk away and then come back a few days later and pick up again on it!

Depends if you are into stuff like that but if you are they are a couple of good reads!

Love the thread BTW - well done :T
    Cat, Dogs and the Horses are our fag and beer money :D :beer:
  • vodkawitch1
    vodkawitch1 Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    I love books too on a bit of a French Resistance in World War 11 phase at the moment. Finished `The Greatest Escape` by ~Thomas Keneally last week which is excellent. It tells story of how a French Community in the mountains saves thousands of lives.

Almost finished `The Children of Freedom` by Marc Levy which is the story of a group of adolescent resistance fighters and is based on a true events.
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
  • Hello fellow readers!

Great idea, I set myself a goal to read more this year. In 2012 and 2014 I managed 52 books each, 2013 was okish (35 I think) and 2015 was rubbish with only about 25 books. So I set myself a goal of 40 books. If I get to 52, even better, but I don't want to push myself too much.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvFu4MydjemVUs6zYcLDhNwmIX4Uxhxr_MT7AvqPMdYIdyw-yf
    Just finished it yesterday, really lovely book, though the end is a bit... Hm, don't know, didn't really liked it.
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I'm a big fan of use your local library or lose it. I will see if this book is is in stock and give feedback. I've always wanted to join a book club but there's not one in my area and I'm a bit shy to start one off.

I can see us getting into a pickle with the timetable of book reading but who cares, this is an excellent idea. And very money saving too!

Many thanks x
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 January 2016 at 10:19AM
    Week 2 (w/e 10th Jan 2016)

paulo_18.jpg

This is not a long book, and this evening I have read upto p56 out of 210. it has made me incredibly cross because it is such a waste of time. I think this is the first book I have decided not to bother reading until the end because it is utter rubbish. If I'm honest, I didn't get much out of The Alchemist either. The author is a 100% certifiable nutjob! How does he become published in 26 countries? Must be magic....

Onto the next.

Eta: have decided to return it to the chaz from whence it came.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Petula
    Petula Posts: 194 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What a great idea for a thread!

I mainly enjoy non-fiction, but have just finished the Fairacre series and am now 3 books into the Thrush Green books by Miss Read. Lovely change of pace for me, I only get 10-15 pages read per night as I end up falling asleep :D so I don't think I'll do the 'timed' bit though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure