The Sewing Room (part 2)

Comments

• CUL8R
    CUL8R Posts: 40 Forumite
    Well done on a very MSE buy, looks small but perfectly formed. Have you tried it out yet. I am currently trying to learn applique so that I can use it on childrens quilts which I make for charity. Any advice welcome.
    CUL8R
  • chilligirl
    chilligirl Posts: 11 Forumite
    I'm waiting for the foot pedal to arrive in a separate parcel so I haven't been able to try it yet, I've got it threaded up and am waiting (impatiently!).

I've never really done applique apart from a long time ago at school, which was rather a disaster. I find youtube videos invaluable though, there is nearly always one of the technique I want to learn :)
  • greensalad
    greensalad Posts: 2,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Ooh I never knew this site had a crafty section!

I do an awful lot of sewing (and knitting). It doesn't really help me save (I spend way too much on it!) but it's a hobby that at least gives me a useable end result!

I just spent £22 on 7 metres of two different fabrics to make two different dresses for holiday. Got the patterns for £2 each from Lekala drafted to my exact measurements. Hoping they will be really cool and comfy when I'm on holiday.
  • Violetta_2
    Violetta_2 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    greensalad wrote: »
    Ooh I never knew this site had a crafty section!

I do an awful lot of sewing (and knitting). It doesn't really help me save (I spend way too much on it!) but it's a hobby that at least gives me a useable end result!

I just spent £22 on 7 metres of two different fabrics to make two different dresses for holiday. Got the patterns for £2 each from Lekala drafted to my exact measurements. Hoping they will be really cool and comfy when I'm on holiday.
    Ooh thanks greensalad, I'd never heard of Lekala before so had to nosey, they have quite a few nice free patterns on there http://www.lekala.co/catalog/free+patterns
    Booo!!!
  • greensalad
    Violetta wrote: »
    Ooh thanks greensalad, I'd never heard of Lekala before so had to nosey, they have quite a few nice free patterns on there http://www.lekala.co/catalog/free+patterns

They're great. The full pattern with your custom sizes and seam allowance included is still only a few quid (maybe £3 max). But you need to be a competent seamstress before you try, or at least have sewn a similar garment before, because their instructions are awful.

I've just cut the dress out and done a quick tissue fit. Bodice seems fine but the hips might be too small. I am going to add extra to the CF and CB when I cut the pattern out and then pin to fit down the centre lines so I can get a good fit.
  • LesleyE
    LesleyE Posts: 22 Forumite
    Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this site...I've spent hours this morning on it!!
  • greensalad
    Glad I've helped! Just don't hold your breath if it goes wrong the first time or the instructions don't make sense. In fact, I don't even print out the instructions any more I just look at the pattern pieces and construct them however I think is best.

I used the 'Wind Jacket' pattern to make my own Barbour-style wax jacket. Total cost about £80 to make, better than the £200 price Barbour charges plus it's my perfect fit. Blogged about it here (horribly unflattering pictures).

I am totally in love with Lekala I just have to not attempt anything I'm not used to. Tried a jacket, did not go well.
  • CUL8R
    CUL8R Posts: 40 Forumite
    Thanks for lekala link, I've signed up and ordered a freebie to adapt for a nightdress, who knows when that will happen as I'm currently surrounded by a quilting bombsite. Several small quilts on the go for charity. Great to 'see' more crafters posting.
    CUL8R
  • greensalad
    I worked a little last night on a toile for a maxi dress I'm making. Used old bedsheets for the fabric. In fact I'm starting to feel like Primark bedsheets are cheaper to buy for toiles than just cheap polycotton.
  • chilligirl
    chilligirl Posts: 11 Forumite
    I've got the machine up and running and so far I've finished off the living room curtains I was half way through, and put a blackout lining in another pair of bedroom curtains. I've also made myself a top from the free Sorbetto pattern (v easy, I'll be making more for work tops).

It is so much easier than using my old machine, perfectly even stitching without having to fiddle with the tension all the time and it coped easily with the curtain headers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure