Problem with employer

2»

Comments

• Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    In the absence of a written contract spelling out more you will be entitled to a week's notice.

I agree with the others that you need to have a conversation about how it is going, it's better than worrying. Easier said than done of course. Good luck.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Had a manager like this. Started writing it down everytime they said it. It was a blanket to all of 'us' getting sacked when deadlines were tight. Wrote it down and in what context - basically they said it nearly twice a week at some points of the year. Kept it but never needed it. I'm suer you could probably spin bullying if it was frequent enough, as it's not nice at all to be threatened with the sack all the time.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm in limbo myself. Not officially been told I've passed probation and I agree it's stressful.
    As others have said, you could be sacked at any point anyway. Even after 2 years. The 2 year mark is when you can claim unfair dismissal but you would have to prove it first.
    I don't think you are being over sensitive. Being admonished in front of your colleagues and made fun of is hurtful and unprofessional!
    Book a meeting in and ask your manager where you stand. That's not asking too much.
  • cool-dog
    cool-dog Posts: 151
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ohreally wrote: »
    Snowflake generation?

Typical gammon comment
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    ohreally wrote: »
    Snowflake generation?

Potentially, yes.

I am more interested to know why OP hasn't completed their workload....

Two most probable reasons:

1. They are work-shy

2. They lack the necessary experience to work at the expected pace (not strictly a bad thing on probation)

If 2, OP should be approaching this in a completely different way; they should be getting up to speed by speaking to colleagues/boss and learn the ropes. A bit of humility about your skills, or current lack of, usually gains sympathy if people can see that you are trying to improve.

If 1, this is probably the result of manager and colleagues being collectively annoyed and frustrated with you. To be fair, saying that you will be sacked if you don't complete the work is a bit harsh BUT I do suspect that this was said in the hopes that it gives you a giant kick up the bum to get up to speed! You make no other mention of when you have been embarrassed by the manager in this manner, so I don't fully believe that they are like this by default. It seems to have been an exceptional circumstance that this was said, and probably more a "shot across the bow". If you think about it, a private meeting is potentially more ominous because it is more formal and less team-orientated.

In a nutshell, do your workload and the boss won't (usually) get on your case.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    cool-dog wrote: »
    Typical gammon comment

I was going to say I've been called worse, perhaps I haven't. You're a million miles off the mark.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport