How much spare money do you have each month?

Comments

• Bloomberg
    Bloomberg Posts: 665 Forumite
    Robisere wrote: »
    We don't have 'Spare money'. No such animal, if we have anything left at month's end, it gets transferred to Savings. Occasionally we splash out on a Theatre or show, but we know our kids and grandkids are going to struggle when the Brexit bomb finally goes off, assisted by the Tory landslide in June and associated continuing austerity. There are bad times ahead, people. Whatever 'spare money' you have now, needs to be used for a cushion against what is coming. The current level of Personal Debt in this country is horrifying and unsustainable, I don't see how it cannot end in tears.

Such wise words, so many people are oblivious to the problems which lie ahead. Although I myself am a proponent of Brexit I readily acknowledge that it won't be painless. The personal debt time bomb, inflated house prices and stagnant wages are a recipe for disaster. The housing market is going to crash at some point, rates cannot stay this low forever.

For the last eight years people who have saved have had to risk their capital for their savings to beat inflation. Mortgage payers have had it too good for too long.
    Money is a wise mans religion
  • SallySunshine
    SallySunshine Posts: 813 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Towser, is this the link you were looking for?

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I am so sad. Spending on myself means putting as much as possible into my savings. My main aim is to combat inflation which is becoming more and more challenging.

I have some small investments (originally PEPs and now ISAs) but they plummeted in 2008. They have now recovered but I don't think I could stand the stress of losing on larger amounts. With all of this uncertainty around I now fear a serious erosion of my savings.
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    RG2015 wrote: »
    I have some small investments (originally PEPs and now ISAs) but they plummeted in 2008. They have now recovered but I don't think I could stand the stress of losing on larger amounts.
    I understand your fear. i too saw a loss in 2008, and stopped investing. But I started again in 2009 and have seen eight years of rising prices and dividends. No doubt prices will drop again, but probably not as low as 2008, and there is nowhere offering good interest on substantial sums with capital guaranteed (although 3 - 4 times bank rate might be considered better than a kick in the teeth).
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    After everything else has been accounted for (including food, car fuel etc.) I have around £400 left but then £100 goes straight into savings and the rest is split between DIY/house improvements and then entertainments.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 May 2017 at 12:49PM
    loey93 wrote: »
    I am interested to know how much money people have spare each month once they have paid for necessities such as rent/mortgage bills, food, fuel etc ? I am not sure if I am being greedy by allowing myself £300 a month to spend on myself this includes "fun/entertainment" money

I don't have any spare, I'm not dead yet & I might need it.

I make spending decisions on a case by case basis, setting a budget just means you will spend it. So I do have fun, but I don't spend anything like £300 a month. Which may explain why I'm single, but that is definitely cheaper.
    teddysmum wrote: »
    Lots enjoy eating out, but I tend to think about how little I could do the meal for, without the parts that I dislike and with no temptation from the desserts which I really shouldn't have.

I went from eating out 2-3 times a week, to 2-3 times a year and my bank balance is healthier and so am I. Doing it less often makes it more special, I was bored with eating out. I can still reminisce about baked new york cheese cake etc.
  • liltzero
    liltzero Posts: 74 Forumite
    Around 5.5k a month. All goes into my savings though
  • ALPedro
    ALPedro Posts: 21 Forumite
    about £260 - after rent, bills and student loans. i usually just reinvest it. the amount usually increases by 100 if i manage to avoid deadbeat friends at the end of the month :)
  • TheEffect
    TheEffect Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 May 2017 at 7:36PM
    £2230 net income a month, £350 rent, £50 mobile, £50 on Amazon/Netflix/Spotify etc, £150 on food, £50 on random things.

So maybe £1600 remaining, but I still live at home with my parents.

You'd think by 26 I'd have flown the nest. :D
  • dawyldthing
    dawyldthing Posts: 3,438 Forumite
    TheEffect wrote: »
    £2230 net income a month, £350 rent, £50 mobile, £50 on Amazon/Netflix/Spotify etc, £150 on food, £50 on random things.

So maybe £1600 remaining, but I still live at home with my parents.

You'd think by 26 I'd have flown the nest. :D

I'd stay as long as you can - you'll never have as much left when renting or buying
    :T:T :beer: :beer::beer::beer: to the lil one :) :beer::beer::beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport