The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Referendum: which way are you voting?

Comments

• qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,613
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If he wins, we'll have to look at that hair for the next four years. I can't see it happening, but then I couldn't see Brexit happening either. Neither could David Cameron.
    Strange how out of 300 million Americans, they're left with a choice between two candidates that nobody seems to like.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • waltsalt
    waltsalt Posts: 271 Forumite
    A douchebag and a turd sandwich.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Remain
    I'm not a brexitist, but I'm running at about 80 % of my income in euros ( at the same prices as pre vote) so I've had a 22% pay rise. So that makes me a "boom and gloom" type.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do"

I'm an IT contractor and most of my work has been on the UK mainland (currently in Manchester), as the market rates arent that great in Dublin, however i'll be looking closely at the South for my next contract.

Could work out very nicely. :beer:
  • qwert_yuiop
    Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    I'm an IT contractor and most of my work has been on the UK mainland (currently in Manchester), as the market rates arent that great in Dublin, however i'll be looking closely at the South for my next contract.

Could work out very nicely. :beer:

Yes indeed, and you never know what's going to happen next. Perhaps it's time to shift euro earnings into pounds. The panic seems to have gone anyway.
  • guiriman
    guiriman Posts: 525
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Leave
    saverbuyer wrote: »
    Essentially we've been borrowing our prosperity for quite a while.

Us and the rest of the Western world! Not too many countries out there without a debt mountain eg http://www.usgovernmentdebt.us/
  • x12yhp
    x12yhp Posts: 801 Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    And guess what? I bet a lot of those suppliers are chancing their arm, based on brexit.

And of course, a weaker pound helps UK businesses export goods more competitively, something the bank of England is probably quite pleased about as a side effect.

Sorry Paul but you are accusing almost every one of our suppliers of lying. That is awfully sweeping. Do you have any hard evidence of companies putting prices up, having suffered no material inflation themselves, and then telling customers otherwise? Please post it if you do. I have heard this kind of thing a whole load of times but it is from people who aren't actually in the supply chains they are commenting on. In any case, a lot of it is obviously true. if you rely on materials which are price in euro or dollars, your sterling costs will have increased. That isn't a guess, it is mathematical fact. Here is a letter I have just received:

Plastic Container Price Review - 14th November 2016

Dear Customer,

The last 3 years have been a period of relative stability as far as our prices are concerned as we have been able to smooth out the effects of any overheads increases and fluctuations in raw material prices and exchange rates. Sadly that is now changing and in dramatic fashion.

You will I’m sure be well aware that since the Brexit vote in June, the £ Sterling has been sliding in value. Along with our principal suppliers we have been monitoring the situation and looking for signs of stabilisation or a return to pre-vote levels, but after 4 months the slide appears to be accelerating and we are now at a point where we cannot continue to absorb the full force of the decline.
    It isn’t just the cost of imported containers where the impact is being felt but even UK manufactured containers since all plastic raw material is imported and the higher cost is now feeding through from these suppliers as well. Therefore an increase in prices is now essential and with effect from Monday 14th November 2016 our selling prices will increase by 8%, although on some specifications it may be higher.

We value your custom and seek your understanding in what is fast becoming an impossible situation for us.

Yours Faithfully,

This relates to plastics in general. If your product has plastics in it, prices will rise. This is because your plastic comes from oil which is... priced in dollars. Guess what - your detergents (so anything that does cleaning) are predominantly derived from hydrocarbon sources. Things derived from the likes of coconut oils (you would be surprised how common these are) are also priced in euro/dollars (not to mention the fact that the base material is also very expensive). The list is extremely long, based solely on the effect of the weak pound.

I am just sick and tired of people saying that it is blatant 'sticking the arm in' when they clearly do not know what they are talking about. Sticking the head in the sand and denying it is even worse than the people who refuse to move on and accept the brexit result.
    Always overestimating...
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,452
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Remain
    x12yhp wrote: »
    Sorry Paul but you are accusing almost every one of our suppliers of lying. That is awfully sweeping. Do you have any hard evidence of companies putting prices up, having suffered no material inflation themselves, and then telling customers otherwise? Please post it if you do. I have heard this kind of thing a whole load of times but it is from people who aren't actually in the supply chains they are commenting on. In any case, a lot of it is obviously true. if you rely on materials which are price in euro or dollars, your sterling costs will have increased. That isn't a guess, it is mathematical fact. Here is a letter I have just received:

Plastic Container Price Review - 14th November 2016

Dear Customer,

The last 3 years have been a period of relative stability as far as our prices are concerned as we have been able to smooth out the effects of any overheads increases and fluctuations in raw material prices and exchange rates. Sadly that is now changing and in dramatic fashion.

You will I’m sure be well aware that since the Brexit vote in June, the £ Sterling has been sliding in value. Along with our principal suppliers we have been monitoring the situation and looking for signs of stabilisation or a return to pre-vote levels, but after 4 months the slide appears to be accelerating and we are now at a point where we cannot continue to absorb the full force of the decline.
    It isn’t just the cost of imported containers where the impact is being felt but even UK manufactured containers since all plastic raw material is imported and the higher cost is now feeding through from these suppliers as well. Therefore an increase in prices is now essential and with effect from Monday 14th November 2016 our selling prices will increase by 8%, although on some specifications it may be higher.

We value your custom and seek your understanding in what is fast becoming an impossible situation for us.

Yours Faithfully,

This relates to plastics in general. If your product has plastics in it, prices will rise. This is because your plastic comes from oil which is... priced in dollars. Guess what - your detergents (so anything that does cleaning) are predominantly derived from hydrocarbon sources. Things derived from the likes of coconut oils (you would be surprised how common these are) are also priced in euro/dollars (not to mention the fact that the base material is also very expensive). The list is extremely long, based solely on the effect of the weak pound.

I am just sick and tired of people saying that it is blatant 'sticking the arm in' when they clearly do not know what they are talking about. Sticking the head in the sand and denying it is even worse than the people who refuse to move on and accept the brexit result.

If that's what you are seeing then that's what you are seeing and of course I am sure all those suppliers will drop the prices again the instant the pound recovers...... ;)

Lets be honest here - there are people and organisations who are using "because Brexit" as an excuse for a particular failing and I am sick and tired of that - though sadly of course its set to be the excuse of choice for many years to come.
  • qwert_yuiop
    Forumite
    Well we may find out, since the pound has improved against the euro in the last few days - around 1%.
  • x12yhp
    x12yhp Posts: 801 Forumite
    It is wishful thinking to think that prices will go back down the 'instant' the pound strengthens. It is October now and the sterling hit is 4 months old. Many suppliers have yet to actually implement price rises (they are advised but not yet in action). If you think that a 1% change in the last week is going to have them change their stance, you don't know how business works.

If we find the pound back at €1.25 and $1.5 for the next 3 months, prices will come back. But do you really think that is going to happen?

Yes, 'Brexit' is getting the blame for a great many things but there can be no logic based argument which denies that Brexit has led to weakening of the pound. Weakening of the pound has led to a sizable increase in the cost of anything whose base materials are priced in something other than sterling. As before, that means anything derived from oil (not to mention all sorts of other things). Denial of that fact and trying to change to blaming the businesses is just playing a Trump.
    Always overestimating...
  • qwert_yuiop
    Forumite
    Actually, no, I don't expect any such thing, and almost all my savings are still in euro, so my actions match my words. As someone who works in two states, I have to keep a close eye on the relative values of two currencies. All we can say so far is that the pound appears to have got its crash over, and I was lucky enough to be on the right side of it. However, a 1% recovery is probably enough to provide some level of confidence, as long as it's sustained. As long as ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport