expired uk passport for id, ok or not?

Options
im unemployed currently and i am applying for lots of jobs online. Ive just noticed my uk passport has expired last year.

when i get a job, can i still use an expired passport as ID to prove im a British citizen or would i need to renew it?

Comments

• Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is no absolute answer to that. Ultimately it is up to the employer what id they find acceptable. It is their duty to reasonably satisfy themselves that the person is entitled to work in the UK but exactly how they do that is up to them.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    If you apply for a job that requires a DBS check, and want to use your passport as ID, then it needs to be valid. However, there are a number of other documents that could be used in that case.
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    At my firm, we allow an expired passport provided it is not too expired and the picture looks like the person.

Alternatively, for DBS purposes, we can accept a full birth certificate with a NI number.

Page 13 of this document in the link might help.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/441957/employers_guide_to_acceptable_right_to_work_documents_v5.pdf
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    Options
    I have worked for firms where a passport is required as proof of ID, for money laundering checks/regulations, and it has to be a current, valid passport.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    andygb wrote: »
    I have worked for firms where a passport is required as proof of ID, for money laundering checks/regulations, and it has to be a current, valid passport.

Presumably the firms would allow other ID though? After all, not everyone has a passport. I've never had a ten year one, although I did have a single year family passport over twenty years ago, and was on a group passport for a school trip in 1983 - though neither of those would have been any use for ID.
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    ML regulation states that you need to obtain an official document that confirms their identity.It doesn't say it has to be a passport but it is the easiest way to do it usually.
    ally.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    edited 12 October 2016 at 7:14AM
    Options
    At my firm, we allow an expired passport provided it is not too expired and the picture looks like the person.

Alternatively, for DBS purposes, we can accept a full birth certificate with a NI number.

Page 13 of this document in the link might help.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/441957/employers_guide_to_acceptable_right_to_work_documents_v5.pdf

I think the link is broken.
    There are 3 "routes" for checking.
    Route 1 requires one from the following list
    Group 1

Passport
    EU National Identity card
    Identity Card for Foreign Nationals (ICFN) / Biometric residence permit
    Driving licence (full or provisional)
    UK/Isle of Man /Channel Islands/EU; photocard
    Birth certificate (UK and Channel Islands) - issued within 12 months of date of birth – full or short form acceptable including those issued by UK authorities overseas, such as Embassies, High Commissions and HM Forces
    HM forces ID Card (UK)
    Firearms licence (UK)
    Adoption certificate (UK and Channel Islands)

One of those has to be produced with other documents.

But the online service my organisation uses accepts only a passport or photo driving licence and not a birth certificate issued within the first year of life or any other of the items listed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure