Unlock your ZTE 627 Mobile Broadband Dongle (the free one from MicroP) for FREE!

Comments

• leosayer39 wrote: »
    Is this true? It isn't a 'true' unlock

Ordered my 'free' dongle last weekend and it arrived today. I have not even opened the box yet :)

Then allow me to tell you what's inside it, as I opened it last night and had a play this morning with it. :) You get a nice black dongle about the same size as an old flash pendrive. There's a MicroSD slot that takes up to 4GB according to the docs, and the sim slots in just above the USB plug. The lid stays attached via a little tag, so no loosing that! There is the Terms and Conditions booklet (44 pages), a leaflet saying "Welcome", another saying "Thanks", the end-user warranty sheet, a card saying "Buy your top-up here and online", a USB extension cable that isn't particularly long, and the sim card on something credit-card shaped. All that bar the dongle comes in a little cardboard envelope the same size as a CD holder, and the lot comes in a cardboard box that's about 6 inches square and about 2cm thick. Installing it was simple, the drivers are built-in on a ROM drive that shows up as a CD drive. The dongle needs to be taken out and plugged in again when it's installed, so the drivers install properly, and after that the software will need updating. The new software has a threshold alarm you can enable, which is useful for the 1GB for £10 I just bought. Pings are absolutely dreadful mind, so no gaming with it. Which is a shame as that was why I bought the damn thing!
  • alanwsg
    alanwsg Posts: 763 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So, what's the advantage of a "True unlock" over what I've done?
  • Donnie
    Donnie Posts: 9,862 Forumite
    LeoK wrote: »
    I have just been through the order proccess at 3 dongles 4 free.co.uk (original post), then abandoned.

The page wanting my credit card information is a standard, insecure web page.

Has anyone had any issues - yet ?

LeoK

On the payment page, add an 's' to the 'http' and then 'accept' the security certificate.
  • leosayer39
    leosayer39 Posts: 478 Forumite
    alanwsg wrote: »

I have no idea lol
    Someone on here will no doubt tell both of us :)
    Dont you just love freshly congealed pigs blood, with a bit of fat in :D
  • leosayer39
    Then allow me to tell you what's inside it, as I opened it last night and had a play this morning with it. :) You get a nice black dongle about the same size as an old flash pendrive. There's a MicroSD slot that takes up to 4GB according to the docs, and the sim slots in just above the USB plug. The lid stays attached via a little tag, so no loosing that! There is the Terms and Conditions booklet (44 pages), a leaflet saying "Welcome", another saying "Thanks", the end-user warranty sheet, a card saying "Buy your top-up here and online", a USB extension cable that isn't particularly long, and the sim card on something credit-card shaped. All that bar the dongle comes in a little cardboard envelope the same size as a CD holder, and the lot comes in a cardboard box that's about 6 inches square and about 2cm thick. Installing it was simple, the drivers are built-in on a ROM drive that shows up as a CD drive. The dongle needs to be taken out and plugged in again when it's installed, so the drivers install properly, and after that the software will need updating. The new software has a threshold alarm you can enable, which is useful for the 1GB for £10 I just bought. Pings are absolutely dreadful mind, so no gaming with it. Which is a shame as that was why I bought the damn thing!

Thanks for all of that..I have exactly the same as you. What a funny coincidence!

Anyway, now that I have it I am looking for the best option for my very limited usage.
    I don't mind leaving it locked to three for the time being but I do want the longest access for my money.
    Someone, earlier in this thread, said it is best to get a PAYG sim from three and use that one, instead of the one that comes with the dongle, and then use an 'add on' to get the longest possible time for my available credit.

Is this still the best option?
    Do I just buy a three payg sim?
    Put it into any unlocked phone?....
    (by this I mean not necessarily an unlocked 3G phone. How about an unlocked standard 2G(?) phone?)
    Top it up using a voucher, bought in a shop, in that unlocked phone?
    Pick an 'add on'?
    Put the newly topped up sim into the dongle and Bobs your uncle?

Have I understood it correctly? Is that right?????
  • alanwsg
    alanwsg Posts: 763 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You don't need to buy a '3' PAYG SIM, they give them away ....
    https://www.three.co.uk/Pay_As_You_Go/Free_SIM

I got one but it doesn't suit me: to top it up you either need to put it in a 3G phone (I haven't got one) or log in online from some other access point (I was worried I'd only have the dongle available when the credit ran out).

I bought an O2 PAYG SIM off Ebay (£1.99) and that suits me best.
  • avifec
    avifec Posts: 11 Forumite
    leosayer39 wrote: »
    Thanks for all of that..I have exactly the same as you. What a funny coincidence!

Anyway, now that I have it I am looking for the best option for my very limited usage.
    I don't mind leaving it locked to three for the time being but I do want the longest access for my money.
    Someone, earlier in this thread, said it is best to get a PAYG sim from three and use that one, instead of the one that comes with the dongle, and then use an 'add on' to get the longest possible time for my available credit.

Is this still the best option?
    Do I just buy a three payg sim?
    Put it into any unlocked phone?....
    (by this I mean not necessarily an unlocked 3G phone. How about an unlocked standard 2G(?) phone?)
    Top it up using a voucher, bought in a shop, in that unlocked phone?
    Pick an 'add on'?
    Put the newly topped up sim into the dongle and Bobs your uncle?

Have I understood it correctly? Is that right?????

I have done exactly as above apart from the fact that my unlocked phone was a 3G one, so I don't know if it will work with a 2G one.
    All is working well and at the moment I am using up the 150MB of data allowance that you get from Three with every £10 top up. When that runs out I will buy a one day (50p) add on on days that I want to use it. ( only very occasionally)
  • iceburn
    iceburn Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Post
    alanwsg wrote: »

in simple terms just like how some Sony ericsson phones are unlock, cause it is the firmware that is change, if in the future one upgrade the firmware, the lock will go back on. So have to unlock it again. But if one do a "TRUE UNLOCK" than even if in future the firmware is updated, the lock will stay "unlocked."
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    espresso wrote: »
    Once unlocked, a Voda SIM should work. Did you enter the Vodafone details correctly into the connection manager:

e.g.
    APN: internet
    Username: web
    Password: web
    Primary DNS: 158.043.240.004
    SMTP gateway (for email): smtp.vodafone.net

Has your Voda SIM been used for data before, sometimes data needs to be enabled by the network operator before it can be used.

These details are not correct for PAYG, on Voda PAYG the APN is "pp.internet", the "internet" APN is only for contract.
    ====
  • leosayer39
    avifec wrote: »
    I have done exactly as above apart from the fact that my unlocked phone was a 3G one, so I don't know if it will work with a 2G one.
    All is working well and at the moment I am using up the 150MB of data allowance that you get from Three with every £10 top up. When that runs out I will buy a one day (50p) add on on days that I want to use it. ( only very occasionally)

Thanks for that
    I do have a 3g phone, but it is locked to t mobile.
    Can anyone help me on this one?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family