MSE News: Small energy supplier One Select stops trading - what you need to know

Comments

• wrighar
    wrighar Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 2 January 2019 at 3:37PM
    Bank has stated I'm not eligible to reclaim the DD under guarantee/indemnity process.
    Due to a new company having taken over the customers, even though I ceased being a customer on Dec 5th and was in credit prior to the DD of Dec 11th.
    Account only show up to Dec 5th online....

Guess I just need to sit it out.

I have now cancelled the DD mandate
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    wrighar wrote: »
    Bank has stated I'm not eligible to reclaim the DD under guarantee/indemnity process.
    Due to a new company having taken over the customers, even though I ceased being a customer on Dec 5th and was in credit prior to the DD of Dec 11th.
    Account only show up to Dec 5th online....

Guess I just need to sit it out.

I have now cancelled the DD mandate
    Go back and tell the bank they are wrong. If they don't recall the DD raise a complaint.
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    molerat wrote: »
    Go back and tell the bank they are wrong. If they don't recall the DD raise a complaint.

+1 The payment was not authorised by you as the mandate lapsed when you ceased to be a customer. Your bank must refund you.
  • astroL
    astroL Posts: 72 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hengus wrote: »
    The domestic energy sector’s processes and procedures are not renowned for their speed which is why suppliers have 35 days to takeover a supply. Under SoLR procedures, there is no cooling off period so it could be argued that 21 days is a more realistic timescale. Your transfer has presumably been blocked because there is a transfer already in progress - presumably from the the failed supplier to the SoLR. Attempts to switch when there is a transfer in progress are invariably blocked.

You are annoyed - but why? We are all responsible for our choice of supplier. If my chosen supplier fails, then I would blame myself for making a poor decision.

Really? I used the MSE site to make a choice!! Are you really telling me that my choice to use a MSE listed firm was a poor choice?
    :(

The SoLR Regulations exist so that your lights do not go out whilst you wait for a new supplier of your choice to takeover your supply. It is is similar to the Deemed Contract that we enter into when moving into a new property.

Yes, the tariff offered by the SoLR may not be competitive. You can switch without penalty. In truth, how much extra would you pay the SoLR for say a month of supply?

The SoLR Regulations are not perfect but are better than those in play if, say, your broadband provider went bust. In such a situation, you would lose your BB service for some days, and any credit balance on your account would disappear.

My description of events was accurate and I *do* feel more than annoyed that the industry blocks my personal choice of switch in favour of one made by OFGEM without any reference to me. Had they contacted me and allowed me to take responsibility for my *own* decision there would be no cause for complaint. To have this forced upon me is unreasonable.
  • I've been switched to the Together Energy OS tariff as per posters above. I have received confirmation of this via email and have an account number so as far as I'm concerned Im now in a position to switch. They have taken the first DD which is the same amount that One Select were taking.
    The issue I have is that the Together Energy tariff I'm on isn't listed on the Cheap Energy club so I can't get an accurate comparison. I could just use the details I had for One Select as I know that was a competitive deal so anything close to that would be ok.

Anyone else in the process of switching from Together Energy since One Select ceased trading?
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 January 2019 at 11:35AM
    Griffin78 wrote: »
    I've been switched to the Together Energy OS tariff as per posters above. I have received confirmation of this via email and have an account number so as far as I'm concerned Im now in a position to switch. They have taken the first DD which is the same amount that One Select were taking.
    The issue I have is that the Together Energy tariff I'm on isn't listed on the Cheap Energy club so I can't get an accurate comparison. I could just use the details I had for One Select as I know that was a competitive deal so anything close to that would be ok.

Anyone else in the process of switching from Together Energy since One Select ceased trading?

If you use the Citizens advice comparison tool, it lists the Together tariff we are being moved on to as Together OS Dec. 18.
    . The only near comparison with One Select (for me anyway) is Utility Point -in fact it's better than OS and nearly as good as Iresa ,which suggests to me that Utility Point can't be long for this world!! There are a couple which are ~ £50 more expensive.
    I haven't yet got an account number with Together and they haven't taken any DDs but I'm tempted to start a move to So Energy as my distribution Co. are showing Together as my leccy supplier.
    EDIT - re Acc. number How did you get it ? Was it in one of the emails??
  • brewerdave
    Together Energy have updated their FAQs for former OS customers.

They are saying that they will be taking 2 DDs in January for anyone whose normal payment date fell between 15th and 31st Dec.,the first being taken on the 2nd Jan.instead of December.
    HOWEVER, no sign of them even attempting to collect a DD from my account ,so cancelling as soon as I knew OS had gone belly up ,has obviously stopped them.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,275 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Griffin78 wrote: »
    I've been switched to the Together Energy OS tariff as per posters above. I have received confirmation of this via email and have an account number so as far as I'm concerned Im now in a position to switch. They have taken the first DD which is the same amount that One Select were taking.

I tried to switch earlier this week and my switch was blocked (I was informed just 2 working days later). You have little to lose by trying.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Together Energy have updated their FAQs for former OS customers.

They are saying that they will be taking 2 DDs in January for anyone whose normal payment date fell between 15th and 31st Dec.,the first being taken on the 2nd Jan.instead of December.
    HOWEVER, no sign of them even attempting to collect a DD from my account ,so cancelling as soon as I knew OS had gone belly up ,has obviously stopped them.

I also cancelled my DD with one select as soon as I heard they had gone bust and before my December payment, this hasn't stopped Together energy taking a payment yesterday.
  • brewerdave
    nickcc wrote: »
    I also cancelled my DD with one select as soon as I heard they had gone bust and before my December payment, this hasn't stopped Together energy taking a payment yesterday.

Did they inform you in advance of the amount - and can you log in to Together's website to see the credit and meter readings??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure