Early-retirement wannabe

Comments

• atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I am a remainer (not that i was allowed to vote).

BUT, if europe sells mre to us they we do to them, surely it would be against their best interests to say

EU official "No"

And here, I feel you may be deliriously dreaming

"(and most likely we end up with a lib dem government)."
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    atush wrote: »

BUT, if europe sells mre to us they we do to them, surely it would be against their best interests to say

EU official "No"

What comes first? The interests of European business or the interests of the EU structure?
  • ex-pat_scot
    ex-pat_scot Posts: 693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper

EU official "No"

I can certainly see a clamour for there to be a general election, to provide a team to manage the process.

So far, there's no leadership at all from Conservatives or Labour, but that might just be a short term thing.

One possibility would be that a centre coalition, comprising LibDems, SNP (and possibly the N Ire lot) on some sort of Remain ticket.
    Quite how that would work is anyone's guess. The referendum was at least democratic, but not conclusive, and a Remain coalition would also be democratic.
    The societal fractures would stay with us for a long while, regardless of whether the move towards Leave is stalled or progresses.

However, I could be (and frequently am) entirely wrong on these things. I didn't expect Leave, for a start. Clearly I must mix with the wrong sort.
  • atush
    But given 52% voted leave, why do you think a general election on a remain ticket would win?

i just dont see it. Not w/o an immigration hand brake of some kind.

The people have spoken, they want immigration way down.
  • ex-pat_scot
    ex-pat_scot Posts: 693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    But given 52% voted leave, why do you think a general election on a remain ticket would win?

i just dont see it. Not w/o an immigration hand brake of some kind.

Two possible reasons:
    FirstPastThePost - it would give a different outcome to a straight vote count across the country
    the dawning realisation that "Leave" does not equal "low immigration". (c) D Hannan 24/6/16
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Sorry but that isnt what the "people" have spoken about.

The "people" (well 52% of 72% spoke) that they wanted to leave the EU.

Nothing in the referendum has said why the 52% wanted to leave the EU - anything about immigration as the "reason" is conjecture.

This is one of the problems with referendums (or referenda), especially when the question is as broad ranging as this.

It all depends on your view of "democratic" as well. If over 50% of the population vote in favour (or against) of a tightly focussed single issue then that would be seen as "democratic" anything less is down to interpretation.

If the negotiations with the EU would allow for a "this is what you get if you leave but you can still stay if you want" I see no reason why there shouldnt be a second referendum.

The EU rules dont seem to allow for that.
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,303 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    If I felt that the vote for Leave had been made on rational grounds by voters who understand the EU well and had carefully weighed up the pros and cons then I'd feel a lot more confident about saying that the result should be binding. Of course no doubt a good many of the Leave voters did weigh the issue up carefully and rationally, but it seems equally clear that many don't understand the EU and weren't necessarily even answering the question on the paper - a sizable number were answering the question "do you want to put a stop to immigration". Which, as the Leave team admitted afterwards, is really a separate issue, since leaving the EU won't put a stop to it.

I'm not arguing the vote for Remain was necessarily made on rational, well-informed grounds either, or that Remain voters all understand the EU. But that also undermines my trust in the result. :)

I think there is every reason to wait and not rush the process.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 June 2016 at 3:24PM
    Boris Johnson: "Can we please have access to the free market, pay less for it and reduce immigration"
    EU official: "Seriously?"
    BoJo: "Yes"
    EU official "No"
    Bojo: "oh dear in that case we'll be imposing a 20% tariff on everything EU, and locking all European fishermen out of UK waters, which will cost you £2BN and us £200M and you can kiss bye bye to the jobs of 20% of Seat, BMW, Citroen and Renault workers and half your fishermen and we'll be accepting zero of your young peopel to work here except in industries we choose, so you can have an extra million of your unemployed young back. Now, what was your answer again?"

My point being, the UK can play hard ball as well and its sad how little confidence so many people have in their own country, how much they think we must kow tow to unelected officials who cannot be removed however unpopular, and perhaps a clue why many voted leave, because they were fed up being dictated to. And BTW i voted Remain but I appreciate why so many didnt.

• atush
    Sorry but that isnt what the "people" have spoken about.

The "people" (well 52% of 72% spoke) that they wanted to leave the EU.

Actually it is what the people interviewed about the way they voted said. So sure, it is conjecture. Based on information given.

AS far as those car jobs go, they'll lose that number or more once the EU slams a tariff on the cars produced in the UK.

We'll gain on the fishing for sure. And that is why Greenland left.
  • Daniel54
    Daniel54 Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Boris Johnson: "Can we please have access to the free market, pay less for it and reduce immigration"
    EU official: "Seriously?"
    BoJo: "Yes"
    EU official "No"
    Bojo: "oh dear in that case we'll be imposing a 20% tariff on everything EU, and locking all European fishermen out of UK waters, which will cost you £2BN and us £200M and you can kiss bye bye to the jobs of 20% of Seat, BMW, Citroen and Renault workers and half your fishermen. Now, what was your answer again?"
    EU Official:In that case we will not allow passporting of insurance and financial services,which will cost you £60bn

On a more serious note,trade wars tend to damage everyone involved and are very much to be avoided.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback