PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord in Arrears with mortgage lender *HELP!*

Options

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is something else going on here. My guess would be Christmas and not enough cash to pay the rent over for December and January or January and February due to spending money on Christmas.

It won't make any difference they will get a money award against them and then if they are evicted they will find it impossible to find anywhere else to rent.

Basically landlords don't want to rent decent properties to people who pay rent late or don't pay at all over the Christmas period because that is evidence that they can't budget.

So far the record is that the OP pays late and added to that is going to be that they don't pay at all. No one is going to want a tenant like that. No one is going to lend them money to buy a property either because they are at risk of being repossessed through lack of being able to budget.
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    OP - in the course of this thread you have, so far, called your landlords stupid, incapable, incompetent and failures despite the fact that they are only a little in arrears and (you say) otherwise, making their regular and proper payments.

In a previous thread, I note that you say this:-

"It's difficult to put money aside when you've lost your job due to your company going into insolvency and having to take on temporary contracts with inconsistent payroll for a period of time..."

I find it astounding that you can say this about your own spot of bad luck but cannot find it in your heart to wonder about or sympathise that something very similar may well have happened to your landlords and that they are equally unfortunate.

Unless of course you believe the insulting descriptions apply equally to anyone (including you) who experiences a temporary glitch in their financial stability.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    By not paying rent you would be making it easier and quicker for the landlord to get rid of you.
    So just keep paying it.
    If you are afraid the mortgage lender is going to turn up to repossess the property without telling you, then write a letter to them telling them that you have a legal tenancy agreement and give them the landlords real address.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Smoothape
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    Long story short, OP has had a history of paying late in prev rentals and wants another excuse for a free lunch.

OP pay your dues, the LL not paying their mortgage is of no concern to you, repossessions take a long time and you will be given plenty of time and you don't have to leave if a section 21 comes or Scottish equiv.

OP why do you think you should not be paying rent like the rest of us? Why are you special, what is written in law you can get free rent?

It's not a history of late rent. That was a misunderstanding between the previous rental agency as they had said "rent due date is the 9th" and I had a verbal confirmation it was ok to pay on the 12th instead. It's not an egregious problem where I wasnt paying rent months at at time. Not like my current landlord who is actually in arrears and has a history of paying their mortgage late instead. What makes them so special that they don't have to pay their mortgage like the rest of us?

Anyways. I will continue to pay the rent and disregard the letter for now after seeing what the actual reposesson process is like. I doubt my landlord would be foolish enough to let the property become reposessed for only being £1000 in arrears.
  • Wanderingpomm
    Options
    Smoothape wrote: »

I suppose what I am asking if who would pursue me legally if I withheld rent if the landlord is too stupid and incapable of paying off a mortgage so their tenants aren't impacted in a significantly detrimental way that they cannot find comfort in the property they are paying rent for.

I imagine the agents will start precedings to evict you for non-payment of rent. They’ll also tell your next landlords you decided not to pay
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    Options
    Anyways. I will continue to pay the rent and disregard the letter for now after seeing what the actual reposesson process is like. I doubt my landlord would be foolish enough to let the property become reposessed for only being £1000 in arrears.

And of course you will do the morally correct thing and pass your landlords mail on the either their agent or the LL themselves so that they are aware of them problem.

Sometimes a written letter is the only way someone may know a DD has failed. By failing to pass on the mail (which may have accidently been seny to the rental property and not their correspondance address - because lenders do sometime sent it wrong too as evidenced on these forums) you could be worsening tbe situation
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,746 Forumite
    Options
    According to your other thread you are intending to leave the property without paying the utility provider as well.
    You don't seem to realise that all this will backfire on you further down the road when you apply to rent somewhere else.
  • Farmer_Johnson
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    Long story short, OP has had a history of paying late in prev rentals and wants another excuse for a free lunch.
    It reads that way to me, too, as though they have been searching for an excuse to not pay.

OP, you sound to be living one payday from disaster. Rather than looking to stop paying your rent, and blaming others for it, you need to find a way to build up an emergency fund.

I’ve six months gross pay in a savings account; if you can find a way to do the same you would be in a far better place.
  • Smoothape
    Options
    I don't have a history of paying rent late. If you read the thread I paid rent on my payday back then and had a verbal agreement with a woman from the letting agency it was ok to do so. You people are really vehement to try and crush and marginalise a person.

I've always paid my bills. I have a good credit history etc. I was just thinking if it would be in my best interest to withold rent if the landlord doesn't own the property anymore.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Smoothape wrote: »
    I was just thinking if it would be in my best interest to withold rent if the landlord doesn't own the property anymore.
    The landlord still owns the property.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport