Economy Energy refusing Refund of Credit Balance

Comments

• Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    amcg100 wrote: »
    Thankfully I heard about them going down just in time to cancel my DD which is due tomorrow. It is a shame they've gone since I was on a really good deal fixed until April 2020 - nothing like it available online today so looks like I'm facing a big increase from £70 per month to over £100.

Thank you. That is a good call. OFGEM advises that extant direct debit madates with the old supplier may be cancelled. Yes, I would have has gad at £0.0213 per kWh and electricity at £0.172 per kWh until June but it is all rather a lot of hassle with Economy.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • amcg100
    amcg100 Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thank you. That is a good call. OFGEM advises that extant direct debit madates with the old supplier may be cancelled. Yes, I would have has gad at £0.0213 per kWh and electricity at £0.172 per kWh until June but it is all rather a lot of hassle with Economy.

Ive no gas, but my economy 7 electric was 14.0571p ( day ) and 6.7524 (night ) fixed until May 2020/ The best I can find today is 20.938 (day) and 7.560 (night ) which is Utility Warehouse or 20.18 (day) and 8.17 ( night ) which is EDF . Either way it's a big increase and only since May last year.
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, then perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away. thoreau
  • I switched from Economy Energy to Green Network Energy in October using MSE Energy Club. DDs were still taken by EE up till December. Called EE Jan 2nd and they agreed that I was owed £192.16 for electricity but the gas (debit of £10.40) needed to be confirmed in a final bill covering just 3 extra days gas use! (Oct 9-12). When I got the final bill I was told to ring back to get the refund. What the hell do I do now?
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    cuzcom wrote: »
    I switched from Economy Energy to Green Network Energy in October using MSE Energy Club. DDs were still taken by EE up till December. Called EE Jan 2nd and they agreed that I was owed £192.16 for electricity but the gas (debit of £10.40) needed to be confirmed in a final bill covering just 3 extra days gas use! (Oct 9-12). When I got the final bill I was told to ring back to get the refund. What the hell do I do now?

As the late Jim Bowen used to say (at least in the earlier series)
    Don't worry, your money's safe

If you now have the final bill from the supplier that you agree with, you are probably in a much better position than many others.

All you need to do now is await Ofgem to appoint a new supplier, and they will get around to refunding you any credit owed.
    It may take about a few weeks, but as you have already waited a few months, I'm sure a few more week won't be a problem in the circumstances.

Any other business, and your money would have been far from safe, but rather as Obama once said, you be "back of the queue" as an unsecured creditor.
  • cuzcom
    cuzcom Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 9 January 2019 at 11:08PM
    Appreciate the response but I meant to say when I "get" the final bill. I haven't received it yet since my phone call on Jan 2nd and probably won't as they have now ceased trading.

But I can still access my old account with EE and it has the details of the extra DD payments they took from me after the change to my new supplier and the last statements issued in October. The only bit of info missing for a complete picture is a 'bill' for 3 days of gas before the change to Green Network Energy happened on Oct 12th, which will be not much at all.

Are you saying that a newly appointed supplier appointed by Ofgem will be paying me the money I'm owed (can be calculated from all the info in my old account as mentioned above) even though I've been with Green Network Energy since the move on October 12th? (assuming GNE won't be the new supplier)

PS: I've just noted on the Ofgem FB page that OfgGem say "we're working to find a supplier who will cover outstanding credit balances for customers who’ve switched away from Economy Energy. We'll be able to say more when we announce the new supplier in the coming days."
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    cuzcom wrote: »
    Appreciate the response but I meant to say when I "get" the final bill. I haven't received it yet since my phone call on Jan 2nd and probably won't as they have now ceased trading.

But I can still access my old account with EE and it has the details of the extra DD payments they took from me after the change to my new supplier and the last statements issued in October. The only bit of info missing for a complete picture is a 'bill' for 3 days of gas before the change to Green Network Energy happened on Oct 12th, which will be not much at all.

Are you saying that a newly appointed supplier appointed by Ofgem will be paying me the money I'm owed (can be calculated from all the info in my old account as mentioned above) even though I've been with Green Network Energy since the move on October 12th? (assuming GNE won't be the new supplier)

How could anyone agree what was owed if they have not produced a final bill calculating the final account balance? :huh:

So first off, you will need a final bill.
    You will need to await the appointment of a new supplier by Ofgem (although they will not ever supply you as you have since moved to another supplier), and then contact them.
    They may take on the work of calculating a final bill, or may say that in your case it will be down to the administators to sort out the final bill.

You should expect it to include all credits paid, and deduct the cost of all energy consumed as recorded by your meters

But yes, the new supplier appointed by Ofgem will pay you any credit due ... as specified on a final bill (whoever is responsible for generating it).
  • amcg100
    amcg100 Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It is going to be a nightmare for whatever company takes over this mess. I've checked my EE account on line and the last bill that they generated ( 20 Dec) states that I owe them nearly £700. - I don't, - I owe them just under a tenner. The web portal also says that I made a direct debit payment of £70 this month, which I didn't - the DD is cancelled and there is no money taken from the bank.
    Being someone who keeps a regular check on my useage and payments I should be able to resolve any problems with the new supplier when they take over, but those who have relied on EE to administer their account could have a real problem since clearly EE's records are all wrong. I think the government should appoint some lawyers and set up a help line and give assistance to anyone who is caught up in this problem.
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, then perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away. thoreau
  • kendizle
    kendizle Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I am owed over £300 from my last energy supplier that I left in May 2018. Since then Ive been with Outfox and as of January have now returned back to British Gas. Ive been asking for my money back and a final bill for the past 6 months, the final request was in September.

How long do I have to wait to get my money back? Ive contacted the ombudsman but this seems to have stalled and if I'm honest Im lacking in the confidence of their power to effect any actions. Over a year ago they resolved an issue I had with Avro where I was to be awarded £50. This never materialised despite numerous requests.

What is my best cause of action to get my money back? Small claims court?

Thanks in advance
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    kendizle wrote: »

What is my best cause of action to get my money back? Small claims court?

Thanks in advance

Yeah, though you might be out of luck if the firm have gone bust.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    jk0 wrote: »
    Yeah, though you might be out of luck if the firm have gone bust.
    Not EE they are talking about though. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure