PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Laredouter wrote: »
    However, a few charity shops in Maldon, Burnham and Rayleigh (can't remember their names, sorry!) have been quite kind to me in their winter clothing sales.!
    I've given up on Rayleigh and wouldn't go out of my way for Maldon either. Am told that Canvey is the place to be for all thing chaz but again can't see myself visiting in a hurry.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Laredouter wrote: »
    I have just been catching up with your bargains today for the first time since October (the assignments started piling up so I have been quite busy)! I am so envious of some of your amazing bargains, especially the vintage Bayswater from a while ago.

I haven't really had much time to head into Norwich to look at the shops, but since I've been on the Christmas break I have had a chance to rummage around the charity shops in Essex. I haven't had much luck with my previously beloved Wickford Banardo's so I have decided to cut my losses. However, a few charity shops in Maldon, Burnham and Rayleigh (can't remember their names, sorry!) have been quite kind to me in their winter clothing sales. I got quite a few cheap books too but most of them were set texts/history books so hardly a treat to myself.

So my recent purchases have been:
    A BNWT Fatface Cheshire jacket in chocolate- £15
    An NW3 loose-knit pink jumper- £3
    A Joules fine-knit striped jumper with a bluetit on it - £3
    A Seasalt chunky striped jumper- £2
    A pair of Next tassel loafers in a nice cognac brown (match a Concka bag I bought on eBay)- £2
    A Fatface fine cable-knit jumper in a nice rust colour -£2

I don't think I would have paid the 'full-price' on any of these but I'm quite happy with what I did pay. I'm heading into Chelmsford tomorrow with my mum so may come back with a few more bits. I can't buy anymore books though until I have donated some :( .

It has been nice catching up with you guys. Hopefully I won't leave it so long next time!

Some lovely items there. I bought a fit and flare wool dress a couple of weeks ago, it was from NW3, I didn't recognise the brand so googled and it turns out to be Hobbs.

DFV - the last sentence of that poem is beautiful.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    DFV - lovely poem, thanks for sharing it with us.
    Not sure about Coty but my over-riding memory of my Nana was 4711 eau-de-cologne.

The only thing I've found in anything from a charity shop was a £10 note in the pocket of a sheepskin coat I bought.
    I popped it in the charity's collecting tin next time I was in the shop.

Laredouter - great brands there and really reasonable prices too.

Miro - it would have been lovely for you to return the ring to the owner or family but :T for trying.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I've given up on Rayleigh
    I tell a lie: I unexpectedly had to make a stop in Rayleigh and had a chaz-tastic time in the local re-use centre off the main arterial road - picked up a nice lamp for all of £3. Providence :D

Also ended up with an outfit for my niece for all of £1 and a storage box for my dining room.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    I deliberately detoured after meeting a friend to go to the local hospice shop Close to rather upmarket commuter village/ town near me.

I made my first Denby purchases and went a little mad. I know nothing about denby (can anyone recommend a website or book or anything) but I just loved the shapes and colours. I got 6 green lidded soup bowls, 3 plates, a couple of serving platters and a couple of other bits for £22 I don’t quite know what came over me as I’ve never been drawn to them before but I just had to have them. The lidded soup bowls were £2 each and plates and platters varied between £1 and £2.

I’m becoming a bit crockery obsessed, I’ve also got a thing for Emma bridgewater and maddocks Indian tree and various others! Sadly dh encourages me so I have no one advising me against said purchases. I’m now in need of a big cabinet type thing but don’t really know where I would put it.
  • bobsa1 wrote: »
    I’m now in need of a big cabinet type thing but don’t really know where I would put it.

Garage conversion?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Lucy5781
    Lucy5781 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I think I've mentioned before about having had to explain to my in-laws about not liking Bayliss & Harding stuff as one of those is my ex's surname.... DH's aunt bought me a gift set at Christmas AGAIN.

Thought we'd done well planning to regift it to a friend's mum. Oh no.... She'd bought me a vanity case set of it... :(

It's like I can't escape him still!!
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • Towser
    Towser Posts: 1,303 Forumite
    Today's find: Orla Kiely small print bag £40 Hospice Shop
    Animal top £4 Hospice Shop
    Quicksilver Hoody £6 Hospice Shop
    Soul Cal Hoody £8.95 Cancer
    5 GCSE revision books £13 Oxfam
  • Lucy5781 wrote: »
    I think I've mentioned before about having had to explain to my in-laws about not liking Bayliss & Harding stuff as one of those is my ex's surname.... DH's aunt bought me a gift set at Christmas AGAIN.

Change your name by deed poll to Lucy Molton-Brown :rotfl:
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 10 January 2019 at 11:06AM
    bobsa1 wrote: »
    I’m becoming a bit crockery obsessed, I’ve also got a thing for Emma bridgewater and maddocks Indian tree and various others! Sadly dh encourages me so I have no one advising me against said purchases.

Deep breath, bobsa1 & meet the concept "Mission Creep" - I am helped by my family as they mutter "mission creep" if I as much a hold The Wrong Pot for more than 10 seconds.

With Denby there are Loads of different styles & patterns & colours as they've been potting for decades (& that includes the original Bourne, and the acquired as they needed the space & kit & staff Langley) so I use Denby Pottery 1809-1997 as a spotters guide, but, and it is a chewy But, it does stop at 1997.

Get it (The Amazon price is stiff but once you have the ISBN try an interlibrary loan?), read it with DH, examine the stuff on basestamps carefully (point him at Just those pages once he's looked at the colour photos?) and urge him to help you Stick To The Book. New Years Resolution - nothing you can't find in the book.

Identification websites exist, and here are one two & three to play with but you really need to get your husband's ignorance trained, or you risk ending up in deep water. (Says she, paddling strategically.)

This *could* turn expensive, so meet my Acquisition Committee Rules? (My family, realising I was a Denbyholic, set a few guidelines so we carried on eating.)
    Every piece must be whole. If it needs a lid, it should have one, & ideally the Correct one. No chips, cracks etc are acceptable but 'would improve with soap & water' quite OK.
    You may have seen how much new Denby goes for. If you are being asked about as much as that, you are being scalped. Some charity shops do use ebay etc as pricing guides & the only way to teach them better ways is Not To Buy It but let someone with more money & less sense buy it. (Keep husband on side here!) Our Committee runs at not more than 50 pence an item where we are getting a heap of bits and to Really Wrestle with haven't we got one already & anyway that pattern's pretty naff (the Colourroll years were a masterpiece of anaemic designs on pastels, much of which have survived - this is Not a reason to buy it.)

I'll leave it to you as to whether you really want all six little lidded soup bowls or just a few really useful lidded casseroles & veg dishes & the unspeakably huggable mugs, but I do urge you to be Very Very Picky. Says she from dashed nearly Under a great wall of china. My family let me get away with all sorts of vices, but the Denby is the one they both collaborate with & regret.

The Emma Bridgewater stuff is much trendier & easier to resell, has a royal connection for ease of marketing and is a sharper elbowed fight to get in consequence.

What ever china you decide to call to you, shop with a couple of copies of the Metro shoved in a handbag. Helps get the finds home whole and takes up less space than bubblewrap. Then you can start wondering about containers - as a nice china cabinet fills horribly quickly Once You Start.
    The Really Useful Boxes are admirably robust but hideously expensive. Almost as bad as the china, but you can always reuse a Really Useful Box, whereas the china is trickier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure