help please with Universal Wealth preservation Trust

Comments

• Further to previous posts, a number of us have been contacted by Kleyman & Co, solicitors, asking whether we potentially wish to join a group action.

The letter states that the trust funds being held have been misappropriated as part of a large scale international fraud. Law enforcement agencies in the UK and overseas are involved.

The solicitor concerned has given her permission for her details to be passed on so here they are:

Mrs Shivani Varma, email shivani [at] kleymansolicitors [dot] com - telephone 020 3887 8740

If you contact her, she can give you more background.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 5 May 2018 at 12:55PM
    BBC Radio 4 Money Box had a piece about these people/companies as the lead item today. Listen again here after the end of the programme:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b1hww2

Very interesting, with, I'm sure, a lot more still to come - possibly BBC1's consumer programme, Watchdog, and Radio 4's consumer programme, You and Yours. The better the coverage the greater the chance of getting some action.

Reference was made to two arrests in Ipswich on suspicion of fraud (now released on bail) - well worth listening to.
  • Stangat
    Stangat Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 11 May 2018 at 2:12PM
    My mother in law wanted to change her will slightly so I sent an email to UWP. They haven't replied so after some Googling I found this forum.

I'm now in a full blown panic because her house is in Trust with UWP! She is still alive and kicking so we're not actually in need of settling a probate BUT obviously we need to get it out of their Trust. I think UWP need to sign out of it but I haven't a clue how to proceed. If I'm reading it correctly, they have the title, so what happens to her house if we can't get them to sign?

Any help/advice would be very well received.

Thank you

Stangat
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Stangat wrote: »
    I think UWP need to sign out of it but I haven't a clue how to proceed.

See a regulated reputable solicitor immediately.

I am loath to endorse solicitors who are promoted via this forum due to the prevalance of fraud recovery fraud, but that said, the firm mentioned by UniversalVictim a few posts up is on the Solicitors Regulation Authority register, and the phone number matches the entry on the SRA register.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    edited 11 May 2018 at 5:25PM
    I don't know what the Government can do about this.
    They have to make it illegal for people to hide their assets and plead poverty to claim benefits (in this case cost of care home) - in fairness to taxpayers and to make the social security budget affordable.
    How can they prevent unregulated unlicensed con men from offering to hide your assets so you can claim benefits, and running off with them?
    PS: just watched the Money Box clip that says these con men are not licenced or regulated, but how can they be?
    Wouldn't that be licensing and regulating an illegitamate business that offers to help people abuse or defraud the nation's benefits system?
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • We too have been trying to locate Mr Steve Long as he has funds belonging to us which we can't access. Still waiting for ActionFraud to respond to my complaint. Trading Standards do not exist. FSA is just useless. It could be worth joining other victims of this man as there is strength in numbers. Understand Mr Long has been arrested and is out on bail pending return to Court on 18th May.
  • Glen_Clark
    cpsmaldon wrote: »
    Still waiting for ActionFraud to respond to my complaint. Trading Standards do not exist. FSA is just useless
    But if you were attempting to hide your money so we have to pay your care home fees, who was committing the fraud?
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • It isn't illegal or dishonest to put ones savings into a Trust. Just consult any solicitor and they will arrange this quite legally. Its a way of making sure that family get (in some part) the inheritance that you wish for them. One still has to pay tax, and Capital Gains. Many people have made this decision over many, many years. We are not trying to defraud anyone out of what would be due to the State on our deaths. We do not claim benefits in any way, and should we need to go into care then we will pay for that luxury.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    But if you were attempting to hide your money so we have to pay your care home fees, who was committing the fraud?

It's not exactly hiding the money, is it? I take your point, though - but the ironic thing is that these schemes are, by their very nature, self-defeating if the local authority can point to any intention whatever (and it's not usually that difficult) of putting the assets out of reach with care home fees in mind.
  • Glen_Clark
    cpsmaldon wrote: »
    Just consult any solicitor and they will arrange this quite legally.
    Well if thats all thats wanted why not just consult any solicitor?
    Instead of a bunch of con men who were promising a way to make us pay their care home fees?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure