HSBC Changing all Bank accounts

Comments

• Lokolo wrote: »
    If you don't need your overdraft remove it. They are doing it because they need to earn money somehow and the courts are going against the bank charges (something like that). So now, every year, they 'review' your overdraft and charge £25 for the pleasure.

Shelfstacker will pop along at some point and explain better.

He will? ;)

HSBC introduced expiry dates on all of their overdrafts. Where previously you could have an overdraft that had no set expiry date, now the longest you can have one for is 12 months. If you had an overdraft before the expiry date was introduced, it expires on the next "anniversary" of the limit being approved after November last year - so if you applied for an OD in November 1999, it'll be expiring now.

After the expiration, that limit is cancelled and a new one set up in its place (not just charging for keeping the same limit, although it seems that way - limits can be reduced or removed at the review as well). If you've increased your limit or gone over it in the six months prior to the expiry date, you get charged an arrangement fee for arranging another yearly overdraft - if you haven't, you shouldn't.

The rationale is that the £25 fee makes an overdraft seem less like a free, cheap, on demand loan or whatever and more like what it is - short term debt for when you know you have funds coming in but need to withdraw cash now. It also has the side effect of making people ask themselves whether they truly need a facility.

You won't get very far asking for the fee to be refunded unless you cancel the overdraft within 14 days of the previous one's expiry - it's a charge for a service, basically, and you can either take that service or not.
  • Well maybe they didn't need to send a memo or whatever, I guess they just wanted time to sort it out, that wouldn't encroach on them serving other customers, either way it seems to have been changed to an advance account assuming my internet banking is right. Thanks for the help all.
    MFW #66 - £4800 target
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I somewhat agree with it.

I agree that if you want an overdraft, a fee to arrange one is fair.
    I agree if you want to change it (unless to remove it) then a fee is fair.

I don't believe a yearly fee is fair. i.e. just keep things as they are.

----

Just reading over Shelf's reponse. So if I have a £x overdraft, and I never go over this, I shouldn't be charged no?

Also, you say cancel within 14 days... can you find out this anniversary date from a branch or internet banking (internet banking I haven't seen anything, could have missed it though!)
  • Lokolo wrote: »
    Just reading over Shelf's reponse. So if I have a £x overdraft, and I never go over this, I shouldn't be charged no?

So long as you don't increase it less than 6 months before the review also, no. Bear in mind also that increases you put in for are subject to an arrangement fee if you've been over or arranged another od in the 6 months before that application.

FWIW, HSBC expect these to be, as part of the new overdraft charging system, a loss in the long run - mainly as they've abolished return fees at the same time - and make it clear that most customers will continue to have a free overdraft.
    Also, you say cancel within 14 days... can you find out this anniversary date from a branch or internet banking (internet banking I haven't seen anything, could have missed it though!)

It can be seen onscreen in branch if you ask. On internet banking, if you go onto the statement page for the current account concerned and then choose "Amend overdraft" on the left, your expiry date will be shown.
  • ahai1
    ahai1 Posts: 1,589 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had an overdraft and still have one but I have only used it once in something like 10 years and as far as I know I am not been charged for it.
  • ahai1 wrote: »
    I had an overdraft and still have one but I have only used it once in something like 10 years and as far as I know I am not been charged for it.

So long as you don't increase it or go over it, you won't be. Like I said, most people who have had a free overdraft won't be charged in future.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    It can be seen onscreen in branch if you ask. On internet banking, if you go onto the statement page for the current account concerned and then choose "Amend overdraft" on the left, your expiry date will be shown.

Current Limit: £1000
    Expiry Date: 17/08/2009
    Awesome!!!! :) I can also cancel online! woop woop. However, I shall keep my nice sum of £1000 for the hell of it. My account balance at the moment is -£697 :( Bad me bad.
  • You think you have it bad? My available balance at present is 5p.

Thankfully, I get paid tomorrow... :D
  • ahai1
    ahai1 Posts: 1,589 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the 100th thank you. It is good to know that most of us will not be charged.
  • guli
    guli Posts: 184 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So long as you don't increase it less than 6 months before the review also, no. Bear in mind also that increases you put in for are subject to an arrangement fee if you've been over or arranged another od in the 6 months before that application.

FWIW, HSBC expect these to be, as part of the new overdraft charging system, a loss in the long run - mainly as they've abolished return fees at the same time - and make it clear that most customers will continue to have a free overdraft.

Hmmm, Shelfstacker I cannot seem to find it

After logging in, going to my current account, and "previous statements" all I see is statement dates and sets. Only other option that I have is setting statement delivery option. I do have an overdraft, as clear seen when I click show account information.

Thanks in advance for you help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport