PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

dont waste potatoes!

Options

Comments

• MadMonkey
    MadMonkey Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    I do this with all veg - we get a veg box and on the day of delivery i peel, chop, par boil and freeze most of it.

That way i don't end up with manky unused veg:beer:

It also means that when tea needs to be quick we do not have to resort to chips as we have mash, roast, diced potatoes frozen.
    It's not paranoia if they really are after you.
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The bags of spuds I buy are the 2.5kg or the 5kg ones from Tescos.

I just keep them in the fridge and they last all month. Are my potatoes weird?
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • Phuddles
    Phuddles Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    I used to live overseas, and bought potatoes by the pocket (huge sackful). As I am from the Emerald Isle, there was no way I was wasting spuds! :D I used to make my own frozen chips by part cooking them then flash freezing on baking trays before putting them in freezer bags, also home made potato croquettes to freeze. A bit of leftover ham chopped into mash, with or without some grated cheese, then egged, crumbed & fried is absolutely delish! This year I want to try growing my own in bags. :j
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

you can also mash your potatoes with some boiled turnip (swede), this can be put in trays and frozen,

or use left over mashed potatoes as an alternative pizza base, seasoned to taste.
  • Auntie_Noo
    Auntie_Noo Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    I also buy 25kg sacks of potatoes from local farm shops. Everyone laughs at me cos i'm single and live alone. But they last forever because they aren't washed, so it takes literally months for them to sprout eyes and go soft, where supermarket ones do in a week. I usually pay between £5 and £6.50 for a 25kg sack.
  • BrandNewDay
    BrandNewDay Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Options
    The bags of spuds I buy are the 2.5kg or the 5kg ones from Tescos.

I just keep them in the fridge and they last all month. Are my potatoes weird?

I think not - I do the same thing and have the same experience. I've only just started doing this. I've got a small fridge, but it's well worth the precious space because I was getting sick of throwing out potatoes.

Oh, I also use those special veggie bags you can buy from Lakeland. They may have something to do with it.
    :beer:
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    kazwookie wrote: »
    Or if they are stating to grow shoots, plant them in the garden.........a few months later you might have your own home grown potatoes

You are not suppose to do this for several reasons

1) they are not seed potatoes
    2) are often treated with chemicals
    3) they can introduce stuff in to the soil. Which means it is infected as often potatoes come from outside of the uk.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »
    You are not suppose to do this for several reasons

1) they are not seed potatoes
    2) are often treated with chemicals
    3) they can introduce stuff in to the soil. Which means it is infected as often potatoes come from outside of the uk.

Yours

Calley

Yep, I have read this too.

You have to buy special 'seeded' (think they are sometimes called chitted) potatoes to grow from.
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sb44 wrote: »
    Yep, I have read this too.

You have to buy special 'seeded' (think they are sometimes called chitted) potatoes to grow from.

They are 'seed' potatoes, and they don't come ready 'chitted'. You chit them by putting them out for a few weeks at the beginning of the year to start their growing process - so that when they are in the ground they have a head start. This works best for 'earlies', which are usually harvested and come out as 'new' potatoes.

Anyhow - i do buy seed spuds for my allotment; but it is very old style to throw potato peelings with shoots on them into the ground and let them grow on. If you have concerns about disease, just keep them separate from the seed potato plant. Or grow them in a pot.

Don't throw away spuds with shoots, unless the spuds are really soft; you can still use them - just take off the shots with a knife before peeling.

Think about it; what happened before marketing?...people would grow their own potatoes from the sprouting potatoes from last year's crop.
  • freda
    freda Posts: 503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why do they only last a week? I buy spuds from the supermarket and they last at least a month, in a paper bag in a cool, dark cupboard. Never leave them in the plastic bag, dry them if they are damp when you transfer to the paper one. Don't store in the fridge. Ideally, get dirty potatoes, though, from the greengrocer, they will last longer.

You can eat them if they are sprouting, as well, they are fine. If there are green bits, cut them out.

I agree with the rule about not planting them out in the garden if they are sprouting, as they can introduce some real nasties into your soil that will stop you being able to plant things (because they'll get infected) for years. Plant them in tubs full of compost if you want, that is fine. And they are easier to get out in tubs as you don't have to dig to get the tatties out, just rummage with your hands.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure