The Great ‘how to win at hotel bidding websites’ Hunt

Options

Comments

• duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Priceline has been around for years in the US-basically most people travelling for business don't find it useful as they generally want a specific hotel or location.
    For me it's perfect-often I can predict with reasonable certainty which hotel I'll get (about 75% correct) but I've never been unhappy with my choices.
    If I book New York Midtown West I don't care which side of Times Square I am-all their 4 star hotels meet my needs. If I needed to be in a specific hotel I wouldn't use priceline but that rarely happens for me.
    If I've needed to request a room with 2 beds that has always been met and some hotels have even given me loyalty points for my stay (even though priceline state clearly this won't be done) which is very nice when it happens.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • n1cn1c
    n1cn1c Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    :D have just won another bid for 2 nights in London.

4* Hilton Islington £93.73 including taxes in total.
    Hilton website would have cost £293.75

Have just booked 2 national express funfares. £5 each
    Total for trip £103.73 !!! :j :rotfl:
  • goingtothedogs
    Options
    These websites look really interesting. Do you find they're better for last minute bookings or booking in advance?
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    These websites look really interesting. Do you find they're better for last minute bookings or booking in advance?

Look at the paragraph When to bid, early or late? in the guide I link to in my first post in this thread.
  • josie
    josie Posts: 3,106 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just realised what you meant in post 2, blindman, I thought you were referring to Maritn's links and saying not to use them - doh!

Just realised your links actually refer to MSE posts that you've very comprehensively done - many thanks!! :A

Might give it a go for NYC, if I can get a decent price on a flight. At the mo it's £633 for flight and hotel for when I want to go and at the hotel I usually stay at and cheapest flights with am outbound and later evening return seem to be about £450, so prob unlikely to get a hotel for less than £185 for 5 nights anyway even on one of these sites, I reckon?

Guess it might be better for UK hotels, or if you've got flights separately, such as through airmiles or something?
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    josie wrote: »
    Guess it might be better for UK hotels, or if you've got flights separately, such as through airmiles or something?

I find the best bargains are in the USA as there are loads more hotels "in the program"

There are some good savings to be had in London and some Asian countries.

New York is a good place to get Priceline bargains.
    Don't forget to look at Jersey City. The Hyatt is the best bargain ever!
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    josie wrote: »
    Just realised what you meant in post 2, blindman, I thought you were referring to Maritn's links and saying not to use them - doh!

Just realised your links actually refer to MSE posts that you've very comprehensively done - many thanks!! :A

Might give it a go for NYC, if I can get a decent price on a flight. At the mo it's £633 for flight and hotel for when I want to go and at the hotel I usually stay at and cheapest flights with am outbound and later evening return seem to be about £450, so prob unlikely to get a hotel for less than £185 for 5 nights anyway even on one of these sites, I reckon?

Another tip for BetterBidding is the calendar feature. With this you can look at previously reported wins for the same dates, so you can get an idea of how much you should be looking to pay x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • josie
    josie Posts: 3,106 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    blindman wrote: »
    I find the best bargains are in the USA as there are loads more hotels "in the program"

There are some good savings to be had in London and some Asian countries.

New York is a good place to get Priceline bargains.
    Don't forget to look at Jersey City. The Hyatt is the best bargain ever!

Yes, it's just that Expedia et al., do such a good deal on combined hotel and flights, like in my example in NYC, that I'm only actually paying £185 for 5 nights and I don't think I'd do any better with Priceline or Hotwire.

I could be wrong as I'm a newbie to this, but it looks like about £50 a night would be about the minimum for NYC?

Will definitely try London next time we go, tho as I've done the "Top Secret" deal on lastminute.com with them which has certain similarities to this, in that you don't find out the hotel til after you've paid, but also you can't bid - it's a fixed price.
  • cheekyvimto13
    Options
    Has anyone used priceline for Amsterdam and were you happy with results/hotel/ and priceline? lol..:j
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Not just London-I've recently got some very nice prices for both Manchester and Cardiff
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family