PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Another embarrassingly dumb question (roasting a whole chicken)

Comments

• I've ben to the library and now have a Mary Berry cook book with step by step chicken cooking instructions :D

Still slightly concerned that my oven seems to grill things at the same time as ovening but we'll cross that bridge when percy is black on the outside and raw on the inside lol.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ceamonster viewpost.gif
    First, make sure it's a free range chicken :o

otherwise throw it straight in the bin, quicksmart! :rolleyes:

Yes, riiiigh. That's exactly what I meant.

I don't agree with eating misery chicken, that's all. Others can make up their own minds.
  • nicky29
    nicky29 Posts: 68 Forumite
    Oooh they are big! :rotfl:
    Can i join the thread here? Im 29 and never cooked a roast chicken...:D
    This is soon to change tomorrow with a trip to Asda after work and the Tefal 3in1 slow cooker coming out the box! Trying to get lots of things done by the big 3-0 i might as well add this to the list lol!
  • Omg!! I just cooked my first ever roast chicken last night! Wish i'd seen this thread first. Had a good giggle reading it now though. It was fairly ok - could have done with a bit longer in the oven. Thought it was ok when we tested it as NO juices came out - is this normal? We stuck a cake tester into the outside of the leg. Maybe it was just dry?

I nuked some butter and poured it over the bird at the start but then 'forgot' to baste it - scared of raw stuff too. Glad i'm not the only one! Anyway, next time, ie sometime next decade, I'll cook it upside down + cover it with foil. Made gorgeous gravy with the stock, veg stock from carrots, stock cube, then cornflower + mustard - LOVELY! Recipe was on back of stock cube packet.
    Anyway, good luck tomorrow!
  • mrbadexample
    mrbadexample Posts: 10,805 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    I'm really looking forward to me tea [STRIKE]tomorrow[/STRIKE] today. :D
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • aloiseb
    aloiseb Posts: 701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Delia Smith will hold your hand + give you Auntie like instructions if you can get her out of the library - the Complete Cookery Course, if I remember rightly.
    She got me making bread sauce for it too. V cheap + seriously yum.
    there's also a very funny book written by Willy Rushton called "Superpig" - a man's answer to Shirley Conran's "Superwoman" of 1970-something. It has brilliant bloke-friendly recipes, for pulling birds as well as roasting them.
    Good luck on your quest!
  • mrbadexample
    aloiseb wrote: »
    It has brilliant bloke-friendly recipes, for pulling birds as well as roasting them.

And this book would be available from? :whistle:
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • For some unknown reason I've decided I'm some sort of cookery whizz now for even contemplating roasting a chicken. Therefore today I have bashed the credit card(0% on purchases til 2009). I now own:

various pyrex casseroles
    a clingfilm dispenser
    a pie dish and pie funnel(for the chicken pie)
    rolling pin and various spoons and knives etc
    mixing bowls
    meat thermometer(though it won't be here in time for tomorrows chicken)
    food processor
    electric whisk thing
    and stupid amounts of baking trays and equipment :o

Mary Berry told me to buy them they were in the back of the how to cook book of hers I got from the library.

Oh and Mary Berrys complete cookery and Fast Cakes, I bought those too.

I'm all prepared for roasting Percy tomorrow. Mr sparkle is having his chicken in a giant yorkshire(made by aunt bessie) and I'm having mashed potatoes and roast veg(he does't eat veg or potatoes, freak that he is) and gravy- going to attempt proper gravy but have back up bisto in the cupboard.

Tonight I made macaroni cheese from scratch with a very impressive unlumpy sauce, didn't even measure anything :j now feel like I can cook anything.

Percy is going to be a disaster.
  • mrbadexample
    and pie funnel

Where on Earth did you get that? It took me ages to get one, and you seem to have got one in two minutes flat! :mad:
    Percy is going to be a disaster.

Oh no he ain't. :p

You have support on hand to make sure disasters are narrowly averted. ;)
  • Where on Earth did you get that? It took me ages to get one, and you seem to have got one in two minutes flat! :mad:

Oh no he ain't. :p

You have support on hand to make sure disasters are narrowly averted. ;)

I got mine from Lakeland online, it's really boring though, I wanted a birdie one like yours. I'd never even heard of a pie funnel until I read your pie thread.

Going to make a chicken pie next week when the lakeland delivery arrives and also making the Kedgeree you made sometime. And actually got 3 tubs of natural yoghurt in the fridge that need used by the end of the week so probably going to make your yoghurt cake too.

Mr Bad Example you ARE my cooking inspiration!:T
    You need to add to your cooking index so I have more things to make.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure