pay rise commission cut??

hey guys, recently learned that ive been given a pay rise by my company, thought yeah awesome.
two weeks later they send an email regarding a commission change.
we work on brackets of jobs, ie first X amount of jobs cover the basic wage and you get larger increments in two other brackets the more jobs you complete.
now we are being told that we have the pay rise but the threshold on the first bracket has increased. so we have to do more work to cover the basic before the actual commission proper kicks in.
so in effect the nice pay rise that i had 2 weeks ago effectively works as as tiny pay rise, dependent on the amount of work we do. which they estimate on the premise that you have enough work to cover it. which sometimes isn't the case, as its a retail industry and has busy periods and not so busy periods.

can they do this? its almost like giving with one hand and tanking with the other

cheers

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Yes they can unless there is something in your contract stating exactly how commission is calculated AND that it can't be changed.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Do you work for Brian Tilsley?
  • newwave19
    newwave19 Posts: 41 Forumite
    yeah, I had an old employer do this to me. but the thing was, it was effectively a pay cut for us. they had predicted that we would be busier that year, and on the previous rates, I would have been earning about 3 or 4k more, as it was, I earned about 500 quid less that year.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    If you were unaware of this pay-rise prior (and you indicate you were) and even with the change to the commission structure, you still earn more, I'm really not sure how you would argue this?

"Thanks for the pay rise, can I have more-more money please?"
    Know what you don't
  • welshget
    welshget Posts: 7 Forumite
    Exodi wrote: »
    If you were unaware of this pay-rise prior (and you indicate you were) and even with the change to the commission structure, you still earn more, I'm really not sure how you would argue this?

"Thanks for the pay rise, can I have more-more money please?"

unaware of pay rise yes. but with the new commission scale id get less than i do now. moving the bar so the commission doesn't start till later and all subsequent commission brackets get pushed back. as we earn per job dependent on the bracket you are in. so later in the month when you are on the top tier it takes longer to get there. effectively taking more than just what they say as thats based on the first commission bracket
  • Chickenlips
    Chickenlips Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    This seems fair and standard. The business will expect you to do X times your salary to break even. When your salary increases, so does the cost to.the business. You have to do more to earn your keep, so your extra money limits go up to reflect this.

Sometimes, it works out better not to take a pay rise!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure