Self employed and universal credit

Hello

I have been self employed for the past 11 months and also claiming universal credit as it’s my start up year.

My last meeting at the job centre my advisor said that I’m gainfully self employed and my payments will stop next month as they expect me to be earning a full time wage after 12 months.

My issue is I’m not earning that much...!

Last spring/summer was slow and then picked up a bit in the winter and now it’s going back to slow again as my work is partly seasonal.

At best it’s part time hours, I don’t expect to live off UC forever I can look for part time work to go alongside it but would I be eligible for job seekers until I find something? They say it takes 5 years to build a business not sure how I can be expected to do that in 1 year!

My advisor wasn’t any help he said payments will stop end of. Deal with it or get a normal full time job (!)

If I was employed part time (under 16hours) I’d be eligible for job seekers surely it should be the same for self employed?

3 weeks to find out what I need to do 😫😫

Thank you

Comments

• OhWow
    OhWow Posts: 383 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 April 2019 at 7:58AM
    mr_boony wrote: »

Last spring/summer was slow and then picked up a bit in the winter and now it’s going back to slow again as my work is partly seasonal.

How did you plan to live during your out of season when your business is seasonal?

Would you get a business loan if you went to a bank with your business plan and projected profits? If not, then it might be time to keep your business as hobby. Or start another business that will pay you during your out of season months, meaning that you won't need benefits and have to follow those requirements?

At best it’s part time hours,

This is why you are not even earning a minimum weekly wage and add to that, your business is seasonal.

I ran two companies, working about 70/80 hours a week and sometimes more so they could support us, until one business could support us on its own. My daughter did the, working full time until her business could support her. Both routes can work well, if you have the right business idea.

If I was employed part time (under 16hours) I’d be eligible for job seekers surely it should be the same for self employed?

Low income benefits go by earnings. Either you are self employed and earning at least the minimum hourly wage for a full weeks work, or you are not and therefore are a jobseeker.
  • Icequeen99
    Icequeen99 Posts: 3,775 Forumite
    Hello

I have been self employed for the past 11 months and also claiming universal credit as it’s my start up year.

My last meeting at the job centre my advisor said that I’m gainfully self employed and my payments will stop next month as they expect me to be earning a full time wage after 12 months.

My issue is I’m not earning that much...!

At best it’s part time hours, I don’t expect to live off UC forever I can look for part time work to go alongside it but would I be eligible for job seekers until I find something? They say it takes 5 years to build a business not sure how I can be expected to do that in 1 year!

My advisor wasn’t any help he said payments will stop end of. Deal with it or get a normal full time job (!)

3 weeks to find out what I need to do 😫😫

Thank you

You need to argue that you are no longer gainfully self-employed because it isn't your 'main employment' anymore and then Minimum income floor (which is the reason you will get no payment) won't apply but you will be expected to look for work.

IQ
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    As icequeen says you need to decide whether you want to be treated as a jobseeker or as self employed. If you are treated as self employed then the Minimum Income Floor will be applied because your self employment is expected to provide you with a certain amount of income. However you can ask to be treated as a jobseeker but will then have to agree a claimant commitment which includes work search requirements. If you have some income from 'self employment' you may be able to agree a reduction in the number of hours you are expected to look for work.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

Is that for the future? If not get a business plan done and go to your bank for a business loan.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 April 2019 at 6:28AM
    If you are only earning minimal amounts after 11 months, then you need to question why you expect any change in your fortunes. What is going to change, for you to earn a living wage ?

There are claimants who are both self employed and employed. So you can ask to be treated as unemployed, with the self employment not gainful employment. Then seek employment for enough hours, so you have enough money coming in.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure