Which is the best private healthcare?

Comments

• HappyUser
    HappyUser Posts: 301 Forumite
    Nicki wrote: »
    Any private hospital I’ve been a patient in, and there have been several, has definitely had 24 hour doctors! Not the consultant but house doctors - probably equivalent of NHS registrars.

I’m in London and we do have a few private A and Es too though you need to know where they are, as well as private GPs and I’ve had same day X rays and MRIs privately when I’ve seen the consultant and he’s thought I needed one. May be different regionally but this is what it’s like in London.

I am interested to know more as I am in London (anywhere outside London is a hole in many aspects anyway).

So all private GPs will see you immediately and arrange to have a same day x-ray? Is there a medical insurance that does that or a specific GP or all can provide that basic stuff that you only get in NHS if you turn up in A&E and wait for 8 hours?
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    HappyUser wrote: »
    I am interested to know more as I am in London (anywhere outside London is a hole in many aspects anyway).

So all private GPs will see you immediately and arrange to have a same day x-ray? Is there a medical insurance that does that or a specific GP or all can provide that basic stuff that you only get in NHS if you turn up in A&E and wait for 8 hours?

There are lots of private GPS in London. Just google for one in your area. I’ve never been sent for an x ray or mri by a GP however. I tend to see them for straightforward issues. I did see a private physician once though who is a generalist I guess and he had access to same day facilities. I have had a same day mri when I saw a neurologist and same day x rays ordered by various different doctors for musculoskeletal issues.

There’s a private A and E in Hounslow. Never been there but walked past it several times.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,012 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    When my mother’s GP felt she needed an X-ray the GP wrote out an instruction on a form. We could chose one of two hospitals, drove there, waited for under 10 minutes and it was done.

Results were on the system less than a week later.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 13 April 2019 at 11:09AM
    Gers wrote: »
    When my mother’s GP felt she needed an X-ray the GP wrote out an instruction on a form. We could chose one of two hospitals, drove there, waited for under 10 minutes and it was done.

Results were on the system less than a week later.
    Hmmm.
    It seems that at least 2 people who don't live in London have had superior service from x-ray departments to the OP.
  • I have repeated chest infections and am regularly having chest X-rays, couple a year. Each time I just take the form when I feel like to the centre, results back with my GP in a week.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Hmmm.
    It seems that at least 2 people who don't live in London have had superior service from x-ray departments to the OP.

Perhaps both those people actually needed an X-ray as opposed to treating the health services like a drive through MacDonalds?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Pollycat
    elsien wrote: »
    Perhaps both those people actually needed an X-ray as opposed to treating the health services like a drive through MacDonalds?
    Not being the OP's GP, I couldn't possibly comment on the OP's need for an x-ray.
    As one of those people you mention, I was told I needed an x-ray and got one - with minimum delay.
    So maybe there is something in your post...:whistle:
    HappyUser wrote: »
    It seems people survive by pure luck with NHS. The less lucky go early and uncared.
    Or maybe it really is the 'postcode lottery' that we hear about, with people living in a hole coming out better than those who live in London.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    What you pay will depend on you - your age, your previous medical history.

Premiums will be specific to you and may include exclusions for previous conditions for limited time or longer.

Get some quotes here https://quote.privatehealthinsurancecompare.co.uk/lptwo?utm_source=421&utm_campaign=1589294857&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=private%20healthcare%20insurance&type=e&a=60249537296&network=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1OOj8IPN4QIV6bztCh1fIQo7EAAYBCAAEgLpnfD_BwE
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    It’s good that the NHS works well in some areas but that isn’t the case all round the country unfortunately and it’s got nothing to do with whether you are genuinely unwell or not and more to do with the ratio of provision to population. In London we struggle to get an NHS GP appointment (despite one member of the family being severely disabled and two having diagnosed chronic health conditions) and therefore often rely on private top up care. Another family member living elsewhere in the UK had extremely poor cancer care to the extent she needed to access private care just to be made comfortable in her last few months. Having always believed that at least cancer care was top notch that came as a complete surprise to me - even when she was terminal with a very short predicted life expectancy and in considerable pain, the NHS was telling her to rely in OTC painkillers until she could have an appointment in clinic some weeks in the future. Private healthcare out her straight on morphine and made her comfortable at least.

Just because you’ve had good experiences in your area, doesn’t mean that this is universally available. If you are able to alleviate this because you can afford health insurance or to privately fund treatment, why wouldn’t you? What’s the merit in suffering needlessly? It’s those who can’t afford to top up who I really feel for.
  • Pollycat
    edited 13 April 2019 at 3:58PM
    Nicki wrote: »
    It’s good that the NHS works well in some areas but that isn’t the case all round the country unfortunately and it’s got nothing to do with whether you are genuinely unwell or not and more to do with the ratio of provision to population. In London we struggle to get an NHS GP appointment (despite one member of the family being severely disabled and two having diagnosed chronic health conditions) and therefore often rely on private top up care. Another family member living elsewhere in the UK had extremely poor cancer care to the extent she needed to access private care just to be made comfortable in her last few months. Having always believed that at least cancer care was top notch that came as a complete surprise to me - even when she was terminal with a very short predicted life expectancy and in considerable pain, the NHS was telling her to rely in OTC painkillers until she could have an appointment in clinic some weeks in the future. Private healthcare out her straight on morphine and made her comfortable at least.

Just because you’ve had good experiences in your area, doesn’t mean that this is universally available. If you are able to alleviate this because you can afford health insurance or to privately fund treatment, why wouldn’t you? What’s the merit in suffering needlessly? It’s those who can’t afford to top up who I really feel for.
    I appreciate that.
    I think the OP's post #13 left something to be desired.
    As did his description of anywhere outside London as "a hole in many aspects".
    I see nothing wrong in posters documenting their own opposite personal experiences of the NHS that contrast with the OP's own unfortunate experience.

Also, I'm not sure what relevance an almost 2 year old link has.
    But it might be reassuring to know that the UK scored higher in the rankings than the US.

One wonders if the OP had a serious accident who he would expect to attend to give potential life-saving medical care.
    Would he describe that care as 'hideous'?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure