Cheap train tickets

Options
Having booked a celebratory two night stay in London we were horrified to discover how much the train fares were - £204 for two returns from Dorset to London. We rarely use the train so no point in buying a rail card. I guessed there must be an answer to the problem on this site and discovered Trainsplit. Their quote was good but did not leave much time for a change. Using their stations I was able to go through SWR booking system and come up with more suitable timings. Just 30 minutes later and I had ordered 2 x 4 single tickets for £88. A total saving of £116. Needless to say I am delighted.

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Glad to hear you had a good result, but your post would have been better on another board, take your pick from UK Holidays, Public Transport or Praise, Vent & Warnings.
  • dj1471
    dj1471 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Just to note that if you're spending that kind of money on tickets it can be worth buying a Railcard just for one trip, I've done it before and saved money despite the cost of the card. Any two people travelling together can buy the Two Together Railcard. It's good value anyway, but there's often discount codes and cashback to be had too.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Without dates of when you intend to travel its not easy to know if this is a good deal or not.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Glad to hear you had a good result, but your post would have been better on another board, take your pick from UK Holidays, Public Transport or Praise, Vent & Warnings.

I'm pleased it was posted on this Board. I wouldn't have seen this useful thread otherwise, and of course, your excellent reply.:)
  • tryin
    tryin Posts: 351 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mo_Green wrote: »
    Having booked a celebratory two night stay in London we were horrified to discover how much the train fares were - £204 for two returns from Dorset to London. .
    Train tickets start very very low. Always worth booking ASAP.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • teamgb
    teamgb Posts: 118 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can get a £30 rail card for £10 in Tesco vouchers or a £20 Disabled rail card for £7.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mo_Green wrote: »
    Having booked a celebratory two night stay in London we were horrified to discover how much the train fares were - £204 for two returns from Dorset to London. We rarely use the train so no point in buying a rail card. I guessed there must be an answer to the problem on this site and discovered Trainsplit. Their quote was good but did not leave much time for a change.,,,.
    If you were to miss a train on a valid itinerary, you are entitled to catch the next available appropriate train, and if this causes you to be delayed by a qualifying length of time, you can also claim delay compensation.

However if you wish to minimise the chances of incurring a delay, you can click 'Advanced Options', tick 'change at' and specify any station where you want to spend extra time. You can then add any figure between 1 and 99 to request additional minutes, on top of the regular minimum interchange time at the location in question.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    yorkie2 wrote: »
    However if you wish to minimise the chances of incurring a delay, you can click 'Advanced Options', tick 'change at' and specify any station where you want to spend extra time.
    Where is the "Advanced Options" box on the South Western Railway ticket booking site? I can only see a "Further options" button which, even with a route selected that involves a change, does not provide a "Change at" option.

https://www.southwesternrailway.com/
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chino wrote: »
    Where is the "Advanced Options" box on the South Western Railway ticket booking site? I can only see a "Further options" button which, even with a route selected that involves a change, does not provide a "Change at" option.

https://www.southwesternrailway.com/

I'd assume it's on Trainsplit as that's what the quote in Yorkie's post refers to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure