Tesco Self Scan

Comments

• pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    There was a woman pushing the scheme in my local store just before Christmas. One of the things she said was that your first shop would be checked and then it's usually every 5 shops on average that are automatically flagged.
    Seemed a lot of hassle to me so I never bothered.
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've used it previously and never had any issues. However, while randomly selected to have a small number of items checked just before paying every now and then, I haven't ever had (or seen anyone else have) a full shop re-checked.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 March 2019 at 2:23PM
    unforeseen wrote: »
    You are not talking about the normal situation in my local one where only 2 out of the 5 checkouts are manned but the customer queue to pay stretches half way up the aisles.

There are normally a few abandoned trolleys or baskets where people have given up and walked out.
    No I'm not if it's that bad.
    I've an option of two close to me. In both, the checkout operators press the appropriate button as soon as a queue starts to build up at their till, resulting in announcements such as "Check-out number (x) is now opening, Please place all items on the belt" . . etc
    The light on the designated till flashes green and an assistant appears from the shop floor and take their place on that till.
    When it's busy Ive seen all 5 tills open until the queues are cleared.

In my nearest Lidl if any queue drops below 5 shoppers they close a till. It is never quick and easy. I've stopped shopping there because of this.
    It must be down to the managers, the latest till to open, remains open until the queues are cleared down to one or two on each till. Then the operator presses a button, the till light flashes red, along with the announcement, "Till (x) is now closing . . ". Anyone already at that till is served, and the assistant returns to the shop floor to continue whatever they were doing. All very efficient.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Our Lidl is the same as societys child's. Checkouts are opened when a queue builds up and is open until the queue numbers go down again.

There are never any long queues.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    It must be down to the managers, the latest till to open, remains open until the queues are cleared down to one or two on each till. Then the operator presses a button, the till light flashes red, along with the announcement, "Till (x) is now closing . . ". Anyone already at that till is served, and the assistant returns to the shop floor to continue whatever they were doing. All very efficient.
    I've never considered standing in a queue, regularly having to move because the aisles are blocked, looking at 3/4 closed tills along with a group of people doing the same an efficient use of my time.

Life's to short for Lidl.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If you weren't happy you could have just left and not paid.

That's what I did when a smirking boy on the self service till told me I would have a full check (and its completely random, sir). No problem with a random check of a few items from each bag and they protect expensive things like spirits so the top has to be taken off and they certify me as over 25 (nearly 3 times that!).
    It was the attitude as well as the waste of time. A pyrrhic victory as I also left them the bags but not going to that store again.
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've never considered standing in a queue, regularly having to move because the aisles are blocked, looking at 3/4 closed tills along with a group of people doing the same an efficient use of my time.
    Neither do I, that's why I prefer my local lidl to other supermarkets. I can't do anything about the stores where you live, perhaps you could move?
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Neither do I, that's why I prefer my local lidl to other supermarkets. I can't do anything about the stores where you live, perhaps you could move?
    I had a quick look on Rightmove but couldn't set the search according to Lidl queue size. I'll resign myself to using a different supermarket :( Why is life so cruel?
  • stripeyfox
    stripeyfox Posts: 474 Forumite
    Peter999 wrote: »
    I like to have a running total of what I've spent while I'm walking round.

My Tesco also has an annoying habit of the deals not working correctly. i.e. if you get a meal deal for £3 quite often some of the crisps say on the shelf they are part of the deal but they don't register properly. With the self scan you can see straight away if it correctly registers.
    sorry, I think I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about the self checkout, but I think you mean where you scan as you walk around, yes? We don't have that in our local store but I can see what you mean (if that is what you mean)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I thought it was common knowledge that on occasion you may have to have a complete scan, our Tesco told us this when we asked about doing it. They said if it happens it will be done at a checkout and the bags will be repacked for us. It will be a pain if/when it happens but we have been forewarned.

Similar can happen when you use the fast track option in Sainsburys, similar to what Tesco, Waitrose offer. You get randomly selected to have a re scan done, its what you put up with if you use that facility.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure