Oled tv screen burn

Comments

• gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Frankly the attitude of LG makes me suspicious. I suspect they know there is an issue and want to keep a lid on it.
    It might all come down to poor quality control in screen manufacturing.
    Whatever the truth of the matter OLED is off the table for me. This is not like 3D that was ultimately regected by the consumer this is Tech that may not be fit for purpose.
    My purchase will take place in Q1 2019 and it will not be OLED.

Good luck to all trapped in this nightmare.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • gfplux wrote: »
    Good luck to all trapped in this nightmare.
    I'm not some LG fanboy but that statement is just plain daft.

Some "nightmare" when quality manufacturers like Loewe, Sony, Panasonic and Philips are all buying LG's OLED panels for their own branded OLED TV's.
    Some "nightmare" when hundreds of thousands of owners just like me are happily enjoying their LG OLED tv's too.
    That's why LG OLED's are widely acknowledged as the best TV's.

There isn't anything made that someone somewhere hasn't had a problem with and an LG OLED tv is no different, so I wonder if you consider the prospective purchase of anything to similarly be a nightmare because for anything you're intending to buy I'm pretty sure I could find horror stories which would dissuade you.

That's why sensible people ensure that they buy their products with the longest guarantee they can, like DLG7 did.
    That's much more sensible than being a worrier or a hater I think you must agree.
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 November 2018 at 1:29PM
    A bit like back in the days of plasma TVs, screenburn is a potential issue for OLEDs, and the level of risk depends on your usage and probably some pot luck with the panel itself.

I will still go for an OLED in my next upgrade but I am aware I probably need to change my habits a bit with regards to how much I use my main TV as a display for my PC with all the static content that content can have.

Basically I am happy enough to take that chance, to have fewer compromises on general viewing than I would have with LCDs like Samsung's QLED (poor viewing angles) and I just think the OLEDs I have seen produce a more natural cinematic image.

But whether it is suitable for anyone will depend on what content they are intending to use it for, if I had to have subtitles turned on I wouldn't risk an OLED either, the same if I was watching content for a few hours each day with constant bright logos or bars on screen (news, sports news or financial news would be obvious offenders)
  • You might like to read this from LG's USA site about "OLED TV Reliability: Get the facts about OLED burn-in and OLED reliability. Find the information you need about the latest LG OLED TVs."

https://www.lg.com/us/experience-tvs/oled-tv/reliability
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    I'm not some LG fanboy but that statement is just plain daft.

Some "nightmare" when quality manufacturers like Loewe, Sony, Panasonic and Philips are all buying LG's OLED panels for their own branded OLED TV's.
    Some "nightmare" when hundreds of thousands of owners just like me are happily enjoying their LG OLED tv's too.
    That's why LG OLED's are widely acknowledged as the best TV's.

There isn't anything made that someone somewhere hasn't had a problem with and an LG OLED tv is no different, so I wonder if you consider the prospective purchase of anything to similarly be a nightmare because for anything you're intending to buy I'm pretty sure I could find horror stories which would dissuade you.

That's why sensible people ensure that they buy their products with the longest guarantee they can, like DLG7 did.
    That's much more sensible than being a worrier or a hater I think you must agree.

Wow!
    In your anger you got the wrong end of the stick.

Those trapped in the nightmare are those who have bought an OLED screen are suffering with burn in AND are being blanked by the supplier and manufacturer.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 November 2018 at 1:28PM
    gfplux wrote: »
    Wow!
    In your anger you got the wrong end of the stick.

Those trapped in the nightmare are those who have bought an OLED screen are suffering with burn in AND are being blanked by the supplier and manufacturer.

Not pleasant I know but to be honest it is a known issue and has been since OLEDs launched, if you are making a significant purchase like this I would say the simple rule has always been to do your research and become aware of the limitations of all the technologies.

Nobody has ever produced the perfect TV unfortunately, there have always been weaknesses/problems with all sets in history.

AVforums are doing a thread on this at present and from what I have seen thus far screenburn has not been an issue for most OLED users, but it is something you need to bear in mind when it comes to buying the set, using the set and how you should mitigate the risks if you can.

No shortage of complaints about other issues on Samsung QLEDS or other LCDs either.
  • Hi DLG7. Apologies for not replying sooner. MSE forum had been e mailing advising of new posts but have seemingly stopped doing so. Delighted to read your good news. It pays to persevere! I also have similar good news. After rejection by KnowHow & Customer Services I emailed the Group Chief Executive of Dixon's Carphone Plc. Within 24 hours I received a reply with a contact number and reference to quote. The television was uplifted the following day and returned a few days later (today) with a NEW SCREEN!! Absolutely brilliant. I was prepared for a long, hard battle. Important for me to mention that LG apparently concede there were problems with their panels produced early 2017. When I initially mentioned this to PC Customer Care I was assured my set was put together in 2016 therefore was not affected. After my email to the Group Chief Executive I received a call asking for tv details, including serial no., which could be found on rear of tv. Sure enough the serial no. was there; also the date of manufacture - MARCH 2017. However, fair play to PC World for doing the right thing (eventually).
    There is little doubt that there is a problem with Oled and that we are the tip of the iceberg.
    Your post makes very enlightening comments and hopefully others will benefit from our experiences.
    Apologies again for not replying sooner. I will keep closer watch on this post and check out those you have commented upon.
    Regards, Thomas.
  • chrisw99
    chrisw99 Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Doesn't help that most of the BBC programmes these days (Bodyguard, Dr Who, etc) are in 16:10 so have black lines at the top and bottom of the screen. Not quite as big as the ones you get with movies, so you don't notice them as much, but enough to be causing problems with burn on LED/LCD tvs.
  • Good thread that i am really glad I read. Especially since I am considering buying a new TV in the not too distant future.
  • chrisw99
    chrisw99 Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Screen burn is definitely an issue in the latest Samsung LEDs, so much so there is a "wiping" pattern built into the settings...

If you have image retention / burn in on your screen you may be able to reduce and possibly eliminate this by running the scrolling pattern. You may need to run this option several times to reduce or eliminate.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00037659/

You can get youtube videos 9 hours long that do much the same thing, patterns to excite your pixels, designed to be left running overnight.

My 2 year old 40" 4K LED Samsung has "blotches" all over it now. I can only usually see them on dark grey/blue images, but on very dark scenes in programmes they appear purple. Quite annoying really.

Going to give the infamous John Lewis 5 year guarantee a go- they have specific exclusions about burning and ghosting, but my blotches are just that - random blotches, not a defined logo or anything from being left paused.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback