<<<out of cheese error>>>

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Ahh, is that the book by Amanda Foreman? I thought that was fantastic :)

Yes, not read it yet though because I have had a months kindle unlimited trial and was binge reading before it expires. Was really pleased to find it, especially at that price.
  • redofromstart
    More progress:

1. More overtime, another hour today. It all adds up
    2. £30 of vouchers received as an apology for really bad service. Id rather have had the things i ordered, when I need them but still useful
    3. Realised i hadn't used the last PCR credit so ordered a little paypal
    4. Voucher in from Swagbucks
    5. Moved the refund out of new paypal and switched off the authority so no more help yourselves

Not had chance to call student loan people.
    No tedious work to do
  • redofromstart
    More of the paid thing today, extra half hour and then that is me done for the week.
    Petrol purchased - must check how I reclaim my mileage for work travel
    £1.40 on sandwich and some mushrooms. Great, only then I called into the village shop and frittered £3 on sugary junk. This may be why we have a problem.

No tedious again, cant make the ten hours now that's a hole in Octobers budget.

Finance:
    1. Moved the tax money to a new savings account - it its in there I cant spend it.
    2. This freed up £147.20 in the self employed account.
    3. OH got paid for some of his expenses so another £220
    4. Rang student loans, got a settlement figure and decided to clear it using current balance and the £367 above. Makes for a tight food budget month so that is the next challenge. cancelled the direct debit.

I would like to say its a good feeling but there is something slightly depressing about clearing a debt from 2004 that was probably frittered on alcohol and junk. Even the CDs I bought as a student have long since been burgled.
  • redofromstart
    edited 5 August 2017 at 10:36AM
    Yesterday was a slightly spendy day as there was no outside work and no tedious home work available so I took the DC out. We did nip through MrS but no basic mushrooms so spent nothing. Resisted a request for takeaway, and instead we had a new recipe, a warm quinoa salad with halloumi. It was lovely and will be a regular for us.

Diced an onion and two peppers. Gently cooked in a little oil for a few minutes. Added 200g quinoa, stirred for a minute than added 500 ml stock (mushroom as I have pots to use). 15 minutes till soft. Stirred through some chopped mint. Cut a pack of halloumi into thin slices, and pan fried them to go on top. Made a simple oil and lemon dressing to drizzle over. Sprinkled with the a little more chopped mint for general prettiness. It was very filling between two adults - and all Aldi/Lidl sourced which made it reasonable. I think it would work with other protein options too, or even roast tomatoes instead of the halloumi.

I actually planned forward and got a chicken out to defrost overnight in the fridge. I am going to spatchcock it and marinade it using some jerk paste (pennies in MrM a few weeks ago when they discontinued it). Lots of salad wilting gently in the fridge, and 4 ripe avocados (MrM wonkys - hope they are not all black this time or I wont buy them again)

Also noticed the DC have finished the bread so used the last of the strong flour to make some this morning, I cant manage kneeding so I make the dough in the kenwood, and then leave it for hours so its nice and light. Used to make awful bread but realised that the longer rise transforms it.
  • redofromstart
    Bread worked well - three hours for the first rise, and then hour and a half for the second. Made a nice light textured bloomer. DC ripped through it in minutes, but then that is the point of making it.

Grim weather yesterday so I spent most of the day tidying the kitchen, and emptying out the cupboards. Mice damage on the untubbed stuff again. Six cats, and we still have mice. Meh! I at least now know what we have in the cupboards so I can build a plan round it.

Dinner was the marinated spatchcock chicken and salad bits. Grated mooli, carrot and cheese so the boys could have a pick your own meal which is always popular. Froze the rest of the grated cheese, still got 3 huge packs to use from the MrL weekend offer a while ago.

I am dithering between worlds smallest bit of pork leg (OH isn't keen) or some diced beef out of the freezer.

'Free' electricity Sunday starts shortly, need to get the laundry mountain ready. BG wrote yesterday and said my DD needs to go up 25% which was expected. I'm off to turn the boiler down!
  • redofromstart

So, here, have a scone and a cuppa and get stuck in ;)

I have seen your photos and am impressed!
  • redofromstart
    Busy day yesterday, I have been reading a book about cleaning that Parsniphead recommended and it has set me off to actually try and tackle a few things, inside and out.

Anyway, while doing some hacking at the garden I realised the reward for neglect was a very good crop of nice clean blackberries in my own garden. Picked a couple of pounds which I have frozen, ready to make bramble jelly later in the week. Hadn't got enough sugar to make it yesterday.

Finally some work to do on tedious, so will have to crack on with that shortly.
  • redofromstart
    Some of the home based thing done. Need to knuckle down and do as much as I can this week.

Re-read my own posts and remembered to do the PAC transfer thingy so that's £20 a month stopped. Still cross that EE make you give 30 days notice even though I am out of contract.

Food shopping done, better for a vague plan and an idea of what is in the cupboards. After three salad based meals in a row I remembered to get some mince out for bolognese sauce to go with pasta/courgette ribbons/cheese depending on individual levels of fussiness. Quite pleased I managed to not nip to the co-op and instead used what we had.
  • Lemon_Tree
    Lemon_Tree Posts: 10,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    hi, just found your diary, I have to admit I was drawn by talk of cheese.

will subscribe and unashamedly borrow/steal ideas :)
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hello Redo. I thought I would return the visit.

You can't run out of cheese, that's too much.

I will look forward to reading your journey.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback