MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Should flood ridden Rhett and Scarlet get free catering?

Options

Comments

• coolpaprika
    Options
    You can see where they're all coming from as money savers.
    Rhett & Scarlett are keeping their budget low
    Melanie is also keeping her budget low
    As they're all keeping their budget low and pay as little as possible out, none of them thought about insurance, which, let's admit it can seem a wasted expense
    UNTILL SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPENS
    Moral, don't skimp on insurance
    Nat West CC,£2112.83 Nat West BankA/C £441.48 Egg Money £15?? Alliance & Leicester £546.92
    August Grocery Challenge £200
    I can resist everything except temptation so I'd better start learning ti resist
  • crogers
    crogers Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    This Act of God was not the caters fault. Looks to me as though they are after compensation twice-once through their insurance which they took out for just this reason, and from the caterer. No, they are not "entitled" to free food at their reception
  • trejoy
    trejoy Posts: 74 Forumite
    Options
    Rhett and Scarlett should have checked who was supposed to have insurance. As the hotel flooded then it`s probably their policy that has to pay out. The caterer should have insurance also as, after all, she could have had an accident on the way to the hotel. Rhett and Scarlett could have insured the event, but at the end of the day, I don`t believe that they should pay again.
    So what if it`s a small business, I fail to see why they should suffer for BAD bausiness.
  • jono_3-2_2
    jono_3-2_2 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    The caterers produced the food so fulfilled their side of the contract.

This is why there is such a thing as wedding insurance.
    Jono

• freddy27
    freddy27 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Had Melanie got any business sense, then she would have been paid in advance when the order was submitted
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    However sorry one feels for the couple whose wedding reception has been flooded out, it is one of the most important days of their lives and they should have taken out insurance cover to protect themselves against all eventualities. If the caterer has fulfilled her obligations, she should not be expected to repeat the performance for nothing.
  • comics
    comics Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, Rhett and Scarlett should get free catering, but not from Melanie.

It's not Melanie's fault, she couldn't fufill her part of the contract by providing food at said venue, because the venue was closed. If the flood was the otherway round and the flood was in Melanie's shop or area, then it would be her fault (, contract wise) if she couldn't provide food at the functioning wedding. Put simply, Melanie did everything in her power to provide the food, so she fufilled her part of the contract.

I would have to personally place the blame on the Venue. The place was booked for the purpose for the wedding, or to be more specific a place of gathering. The Venue could not provide that service, so Rhett and Scarlett should try to get get compensation for the venue owner. However it is very unlikely that there'll get more than a free booking for another time, so my answer of yes might have to change to a no.

This is a job for insurance co's.
    Alot of people have kept on metioning insurance, but is that really possible or cheap if it's in a flood area. I've seen on the news that for homes and businesses in flood areas, it is impossable to get insurance, like a postcode lottery. Would this apply to weddings too?
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Bride and groom broke the contract, sadly I think they are responsible for paying again if they want a second lot from Melanie. Yes, insurance may have covered them but that isn't a given. How would they have been about things if Melanie's establishment had been flooded so that she couldn't provide the catering? I think they would have (rightly) expected a refund, even though it would have been something beyond Melanie's control.

Sorry, but I think that life sometimes throws nasties at us and floods can throw a lot tougher things to deal with (and finance) than a wrecked wedding venue. Maybe Melanie will take pity on Rhett and Scarlet and offer a less expensive replacement for them.
  • alison999
    alison999 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    Options
    I think they should pay again. However, maybe she could arrange a small (like 10 or 20%) discount for them as a good will gesture?
  • colinwilliams
    Options
    As a business the caterer has provided the service that was requested. If the customer does not take that service it should not be at the detriment of the service provider .

These "acts of god" are beyond reasonable prediction . so unfortunately I say they pay again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure