Great ‘Decorate your house for under £20’ Hunt

Comments

• My Mum hung paper snowflakes from the ceiling, with cotton, last year. Looked brilliant and it was very toddler proof. Not even my adventurous son could climb up and pull them down!
  • I try and save some of the previous years wrapping paper... always assuming the kids haven't shredded it getting into their presents!... then it will get sliced up and become this years paper chains.
    It's not how much you earn..... It's what you do with it.....
  • rasmus
    rasmus Posts: 96 Forumite
    Popcorn garlands left natural colour or sprayed silver or gold
    Fireplace garland made of slices of orange & lemon (dried out in the oven)
    cinnamon sticks tied together with ribbon
    :xmastree: Comping since: june 2007:xmastree:
    not won a thing!!
    :wall: :wall: :wall:
  • bev_b_4
    bev_b_4 Posts: 23 Forumite
    I found this site with lots of ideas on and will keep the kids busy during the holidays:
    http://d21c.com/emma3/hoho/fun.html
    and if your're not 'arty' you could try the charity shops, ours has their box of decs out already
  • Cut out large pieces of card from wine boxes or suchlike, cover with cheap shiny gold,silver, purple,green or red giftwrap (try Asda) depending on your colour scheme and what cards you have.

Mount last year's nicest cards on them - arty picture style - and blutak them to walls.

They look best against plain walls - very effective going up the stairs. Make in assorted sizes and shapes depending on what cards you have. You could also use this year's cards. Mine are kept and added to each year.

Another trick is to make your own big stars out of smallish (12 to 18ins or so) green garden canes tied together. Then cover in cheap tinsel and add a few cheap baubles or bows. Hang on a wall or in the window. Again maximum impact for little cash. If you are feeling very good you can paint the canes white or gold first rather than green - this way you can use less tinsel and try for a more minimalist look.

For outside - I saved last year's door wreath frame with the moss attached out in the garden and it is still OK. Am going to use the rosemary cuttings from the leggy bush I cut down (which have been in bucket of water outside for the past month) to make a rosemary wreath. Hopefully it should smell nice as well. Will have to screw it to the door again though to deter thieves.

Also on the cardboard front. Frozen pizza boxes with brown card inside cut in reindeer shapes are very effective as a frieze. Remember to paint on eyes mouth and nose. Also tree shapes painted green using the cheap poster paints in such as Early Learning Centre and the Works. You will need green plus black for the tree colour. If you use brown card you don't need to paint the trunks. Angels can be done this way too. Quite a lot of the craft mags have templates but the library will have books if you get there before everyone else.

:beer:
  • Oh and I forgot - use some of the leftover shiny stuff to cover loo roll inners to make crackers. They look good around a door frame. Could also use any leftover wrapping paper. They make useful tree decs as well.
  • wotnext
    wotnext Posts: 345 Forumite
    Me and my children always spend an afternoon making lots of snowflakes from white paper and stick them over the windows and porchway doors and it look really effective. (Plus it keeps overexcited children busy for a while ;) ).

1 pack of foam sheets - (about 99p off Ebay). Get the kids to cut out star shapes/stocking shapes etc, then let them decorate them with glitter pens. Attach a piece of thread and hang from the tree.

For a cheap but beautiful shaker style Christmas:

Popcorn garlands - 1 bag of popcorn, 1 needle, and 1 reel of cotton. Can be put on the tree, around a fireplace etc. To carry on the theme, you can also decorate your tree by buying a few felt sheets off ebay (cost minimal) and make your own decorations by sewing 2 identical shapes together with a blanket stitch. Buttons can be added for a nice effect. Instead of tinsel, use gingham ribbon. Finish off with a set of very cheap Tescos own white fairy lights.

For the table, buy a cheap couple of metres of red gingham fabric (ebay again) and cut out placemat sized squares. Fray all around the edges.

Make napkins in the same way and instead of using napkin rings, tie using some cheap rafia (Ebay).

Tie a bow of raffia around the back of your chairs and "voila" you have yourself an entire shaker style Christmas for about £15 at the most.

I did this a couple of years ago and got so many comments about how beautiful it looked.
  • I know it's not exactly Xmas decoration but in a way it is...

I start collecting shoe boxes, perfume boxes, any size of boxes really from around Oct-Nov. Then we buy some nice wrapping paper and ribbons and wrap up these 'fake' gifts. Before wrapping them up I shred some leftover wrapping paper, celofane, magazines, anything really and stuff them into the boxes. The kids (it will only work with babies and toddlers as older kids would probably not talk to you till next Xmas if you gave them empty boxes!!:naughty: ) love opening the boxes and play with the shredded papers. I figured this when my 1 year old didn't even bat an eyelid when we unwrapped her dolly but was mesmerised by the shiny box and the papershred.

Same goes for Xmas tree decoration: collect small soap-boxes and match-boxes and wrap them with shiny or glittery paper. Put a string on it and presto you've got tree decorations.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    Lloyds TSB Current Account-
    Data Protection Act S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent 27 Oct 2006
    - Letter Before Action sent 5 Jan 2007 :dance:
    Claim filed 15 Feb
    Defence entered 26 Feb
    HSBC - Fully settled!:T
  • :xmastree: Make yummy looking fake gingerbread people to hang on your tree. Mix up some salt dough - 2 parts cheap flour one part table salt, with water - adding some brown food colouring or cocoa powder and yellow colouring, to create a 'gingerbread' colour. Roll out and cut with small gingerbread people cutters

These can air dry (in about a week) or can be baked slowly in the oven (low temp) for a couple of hours (or put them in when you are cooking something else). (baking them can make their little bellies swell - which looks cute.)
    They need to dry out completely - watch carefully so they don't burn.

They can be then varnished so they last, and decorated in a number of ways. I use black and white glass paints (in tubes) for eyes, buttons and 'icing' but you can use kids' paints or anything. Attach ribbon or string to the back and hang! :rotfl:
  • I do something a bit like the above.

I get 4 shoe boxes, wrap them up with a pretty bow, and hang them from the ceiling, when I describe them to people they think it sounds tacky, but once they see them, they are amazed how good they look.

the great thing is you can get wrapping paper to match your colour scheme and change every year if you want.
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business