MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: Would you take an eBay buyer at face value?

Comments

• jamiex
    jamiex Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'd ask the buyer to submit a compensation claim with the Royal Mail, who would want all of the packaging as part of the investigation. I would tell them that I would fully support their claim and send proof of postage if I still had it.

Either they're not telling the truth and won't bother filing the claim, or they are and will but then hopefully the Royal Mail would compensate them.

Jamie
  • sunnysea83
    sunnysea83 Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    I would not, on holiday for a 6 week period!!! more like theyve completed the game and now want there money back or theyve realised they cant afford it!!
  • clarab_3
    clarab_3 Posts: 691 Forumite
    I;ve stopped selling on ebay because I got three people trying to claim things in a row. (Just unlucky I guess)

One, a brand new with tags Monsoon dress was apparently "torn" but ony after theyd removed the tags (aye, right!) a second because a zip was broken on a brand new pair of boots (again, no way would i sell that) and a third was for a dvd.

I'm helpful by nature and found these run ins with the nastier sides of human nature quite offputing. Ebay has got it soooo wrong with their rules all being in favour of the buyer now.
  • I was annoyed to receive an email informing me that anything I sell in future I will have to wait 3 weeks for the money to be released by paypal. Yeah right. Nice little interest earner for them. Ive never had negative feedback although I don't sell much, and I've been with them for years. B****y cheek if you ask me But its the principal of it. As you say it's all in the buyers favour especially the sneaky types.
  • O no Adrienne, why are they witholding your money for 3 weeks? Do they say there has been some transgressions on your part? I ask because, like you, I have been with ebay for years, also selling bits and pieces on and off.
  • Dinah93
    Dinah93 Posts: 11,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Bake Off Boss!
    No I would not give a refund. Ebay is a joke for sellers lately, I would know the condition of the item I sent out and if it was there, and after such a long amount of time I'd assume they were taking the p.
    Debt January 1st 2018 £96,999.81
    Debt September 20th 2022 £2991.68- 96.92% paid off
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
  • jeanmd
    jeanmd Posts: 2,361 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    jamiex wrote: »
    I'd ask the buyer to submit a compensation claim with the Royal Mail, who would want all of the packaging as part of the investigation. I would tell them that I would fully support their claim and send proof of postage if I still had it.

Either they're not telling the truth and won't bother filing the claim, or they are and will but then hopefully the Royal Mail would compensate them.

Jamie

I'd do the same as Jamie.
    I had this on Amazon, where someone said a book hadn't arrived four weeks after I'd posted it and wanted a refund. As I had the reciept I asked them to contact Royalmail and I would support their claim. I never heard anything after that.
    £2021 in 2021 no.17 £1,093.20/£2021
  • I wouldn't refund. Mind you, this sort of happened to me on eBay and I got banned and Paypal are chasing me through a debt agency as I point blank WILL NOT refund (the person in question actually admitted via email to lying and boasted on an internet forum after Paypal gave them a refund that they got a great item for free). I really hate eBay!!
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I very nearly sent an empty box to Italy and the only reason I knew was the weight difference. Would I have believed the buyer?
  • Money_maker
    Money_maker Posts: 5,471 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    No refund. 6 weeks is too long.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed. ;)

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite! :rotfl::rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family