Where to find a dog

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Definitely don't buy from some random person in Hungary thinking your getting a good deal.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Definitely don't buy from some random person in Hungary thinking your getting a [STRIKE]good[/STRIKE] cheap deal.
    Absolutely. ;)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    We've bought a pup this weekend for exactly this reason. We've been looking for a dog since Jan. We wanted to offer a home to a rescue dog and at the same time thought we'd get one that had been through puppy stage, we ideally wanted one that was about 2 - 4 years old. Our experience has told us we were being naive. We went to a local rescue centre, that had plenty of dogs. We knew they'd come from abroad but didn't see that as an issue. A chance conversation with a friend the evening before we went to get one, had me checking the story with a Vet friend of mine, who confirmed the story told to me was true. A large % of dogs had health problems that were only coming to light a few years down the line and the rescue centre had been repeatedly told to stop importing dogs.

Vet friend recommended a couple of places to try instead and so we did. However they premoninately had 5 dog types in, and though all are lovely they weren't suitable for us eg 1 of the breeds they had in frequently was greyhounds. However they can have a strong prey drive and our families have lots of small/very small dogs. The ones that weren't these breeds were either too old or our household wasn't suitable eg they had to go to all adult households, my youngest is 16. Anything suitable was gone in a flash

I'd got to the point where I was happy to give up looking, because it was so fruitles but the others still wanted the dog. Daughter then told me about puppies being sold by a schoolmate's parents and we went ahead after checking it out. A puppy isn't what we'd ideally wanted, but it became the only way we could find a dog.
  • Pollycat
    Spendless wrote: »
    We've bought a pup this weekend for exactly this reason. We've been looking for a dog since Jan. We wanted to offer a home to a rescue dog and at the same time thought we'd get one that had been through puppy stage, we ideally wanted one that was about 2 - 4 years old. Our experience has told us we were being naive. We went to a local rescue centre, that had plenty of dogs. We knew they'd come from abroad but didn't see that as an issue. A chance conversation with a friend the evening before we went to get one, had me checking the story with a Vet friend of mine, who confirmed the story told to me was true. A large % of dogs had health problems that were only coming to light a few years down the line and the rescue centre had been repeatedly told to stop importing dogs.

Vet friend recommended a couple of places to try instead and so we did. However they premoninately had 5 dog types in, and though all are lovely they weren't suitable for us eg 1 of the breeds they had in frequently was greyhounds. However they can have a strong prey drive and our families have lots of small/very small dogs. The ones that weren't these breeds were either too old or our household wasn't suitable eg they had to go to all adult households, my youngest is 16. Anything suitable was gone in a flash

I'd got to the point where I was happy to give up looking, because it was so fruitles but the others still wanted the dog. Daughter then told me about puppies being sold by a schoolmate's parents and we went ahead after checking it out. A puppy isn't what we'd ideally wanted, but it became the only way we could find a dog.

I hope the puppy works out (for the puppy's sake).
    It sounds like it was 2nd choice and you don't sound as enthusiastic about having a new pet as I'd expect (and have experienced personally).
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,106 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    So you dismissed a rescue dog after considering three rescues.

There are plenty of reputable rescues that you could have contacted.

Buying was not the only way you could get a dog. It was the easiest way.

At least be honest.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Spendless wrote: »
    A large % of dogs had health problems that were only coming to light a few years down the line

... as they would with any other dog, dog's get unwell with age

sighhhh

good luck to your pup - it may need it
  • Dougieee
    Dougieee Posts: 5 Forumite
    Choose a breed you like and contact the breed rescue society. Ofcourse they want to check you and the home you are offering, but nowhere near the level that the dogs trust expects. Alternatively find a Facebook page locally.
  • Pollycat
    jackharry wrote: »
    Locate a dependable reproducer and visit the premises. Try not to get a young doggie from a pet store.
    Numerous Factors:
    1. Join with a mechanized administration.
    2. Run promotions in every neighborhood paper just as on internet-based life.
    3. Ensure you're stuck to your telephone.
    jackharry
    Re your first paragraph:
    The OP doesn't want a pedigree dog.

I'm not sure what happens in the US, but here in the UK I don't think pet stores sell doggies at all nowadays.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    UK pet stores do now by law sell puppies or kittens.
  • Pollycat
    donnac2558 wrote: »
    UK pet stores do now by law sell puppies or kittens.

Then I stand corrected. :)
    I hope said shops are well regulated and closely monitored.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure