Signing on for NI credits

I was made redundant last year after 42 years of NI contribution. As I was "contracted out" with a works pension I have been told I need 3 more years of contribution to entitle me to a full state pension.

I don't have any gaps as such so I believe my options are to sign on for 3 out of the next 9 years or wait a few years and "top up" (assuming I don't find suitable employment).

My query is - what constitutes a years contribution? Do I have to sign on every two weeks x26 or are there allowances for holidays etc or if I spent a couple of months out the country?

Local jobcentre seem clueless so any advice here would be much appreciated.

Comments

• t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 April 2019 at 1:46PM
    As far as I can find out you need a full year of credits or a mixture of credits and voluntary payments, so any missed weeks can be paid for. It's £15 a week this year.

If you were to go overseas for a time your case would be closed here and you would need to pay for those weeks. If however you took a week away in this country your case would likely remain open and you would still be credited.
  • you need 35 years of NI cont for a full SRP
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,946 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 April 2019 at 10:54AM
    1) Get a state pension forecast.
    https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

2) The new State Pension was introduced in 2016. Yours will be a mixture of the old and new scheme. Under the new scheme you may potentially get c. £4.80 added to your weekly SP for each year of contributions post 2016.
    This is a good guide.
    https://www.royallondon.com/siteassets/site-docs/media-centre/good-with-your-money-guides/topping-up-your-state-pension-guide.pdf

3) Earnings have to be at or above the lower earnings limit to qualify:
    "Lower earnings limit
    The amount of earnings that allow an employee to qualify for certain state benefits (such as qualifying years for the basic state pension). The lower earnings limit is set each tax year by the government. Even if an employee earns more than the lower earnings limit (LEL), he is not required to pay primary, class one national insurance contributions until his earnings reach the primary threshold. In the 2019-20 tax year, the LEL is set at £118 a week. See also upper earnings limit."
    Google LEL and State Pension contributions for more info.

4) Bit of info on new style JSA:
    https://www.gov.uk/how-to-claim-new-style-jsa
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure