Camino Way: Sarrie to Santiago

Hi

I am planning to do the Sarrie to Santiago leg of the Camino was late September/early October. I plan to do 20-25k per day stopping at villages close by. To save money I would like to book the accommodation myself rather than go through a Comino Way tour company.

I do not fancy staying in hostels and would prefer guest houses/B&Bs/small hotels if possible along the route. Can anyone recommend places to stay? At that time of the year would you need to book in advance or just arrive and book on the day? I assume you would book first night in Sarrie and last night in Santiago. Again any recommendations of places to stay greatly appreciated.

Any other help greatly appreciated.
Val :)

Comments

• ss53
    ss53 Posts: 90 Forumite
    I'm doing the Portuguese Camino. I just used booking.com. Plenty of cheap b&bs and hotels on most camino routes. You're probably better off using a camino specific forum for any question however.

The best one is;

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Seems a bit rigid to me. I did similar but planned nothing....and I mean nothing. I turned up in a t-shirt and shorts and there were people hiking in full ski gear.
    Had an amazing time. People took care of me all the way. Found a bed wherever I went.
    Planning to the nth degree seems to take something away from it.
  • If you're on Facebook consider joining the camingo pilgrim discussion group.

It's a closed group but perfectly legitimate administered by CSJ U.K. who are a registered charity helping & giving advice to people who want to walk the Camingo.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    The only advice I can give is do not plan too much. You might think you will walk 25k every day but you might not, so booking ahead will cause a headache, along with the foot ache believe me! But I suppose you could always call a cab. All villages have such contacts, they are used to it!

Just head out, and call ahead from an intermediate stop say for lunch depending on how you are feeling. Use Booking.com for the names and locations within your vicinity.

I agree with not staying in hostels, although I did on occasion. It is hit and miss, but the camaraderie is wonderful. I have a few stages to complete yet too. Doing it bit by bit.

It is such a great experience, but it ain't all roses either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure