Travel credit cards

Comments

• veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi there

Seasoned travellers here and we've been amazed that whatever bank we try to withdraw cash from using our trusted Barclaycard Credit Card charges us a minimum of 3000 won for each withdrawal.

Looking on the internet (where lots of US travellers have fedback similar experiences) am struggling to find much recent UK experience. And the KB banks that are recommended still charge

We have a Barclaycard and Clarity with us.

TIA

Similar story in Japan.

One large withdrawal made and after trying multiple banks all would charge us.

Using Clarity wherever we can to minimise ATM withdrawals.

This article needs to updated to reflect that even using the best cards out there it's difficult to escape ATM fees in some countries.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Similar story in Japan.

One large withdrawal made and after trying multiple banks all would charge us.

Using Clarity wherever we can to minimise ATM withdrawals.

This article needs to updated to reflect that even using the best cards out there it's difficult to escape ATM fees in some countries.

Should not be difficult. Did you do your research?
    Most - although not all - international ATMs will deduct minor service fees, often around 108 yen during normal hours and 216 yen during off-peak hours and weekends. Costs can increase to around 432 yen if you withdraw more than the limited yen amount, such as 100,000 yen from Japan Post banks. Seven Bank ATMs are free, but Japan Post charges 105 JPY going up to 210 JPY on weekends and holidays

https://transferwise.com/us/blog/atms-in-japan
  • EveryWhere
    Hi there

Seasoned travellers here and we've been amazed that whatever bank we try to withdraw cash from using our trusted Barclaycard Credit Card charges us a minimum of 3000 won for each withdrawal.

Looking on the internet (where lots of US travellers have fedback similar experiences) am struggling to find much recent UK experience. And the KB banks that are recommended still charge

We have a Barclaycard and Clarity with us.

TIA

https://www.triptipedia.com/tip/Qwcs7Ao/korean-atms-withdrawing-money-in-south-korea-without-fees

Report from the 22nd of March there that they were not charged by KB.
  • veryintrigued
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Should not be difficult. Did you do your research?

https://transferwise.com/us/blog/atms-in-japan

Yep - seven charge now.

Visited them two days ago and have visited Japan three times in the last seven years.

I guess that constitutes research.

Cheers for the input.
  • veryintrigued
    edited 14 April 2019 at 12:38PM
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    https://www.triptipedia.com/tip/Qwcs7Ao/korean-atms-withdrawing-money-in-south-korea-without-fees

Report from the 22nd of March there that they were not charged by KB.

Again - one of the ones we visited and got charged.

You must have missed our OP where we stated that we'd been charged by KB.

Cheers again for your input.
  • EveryWhere
    Again - one of the ones we visited and got charged.

You must have missed our OP where we stated that we'd been charged by KB.

Cheers again for your input.

No, I didn't miss it. Just wondered why someone reported not being charged just last month, but yet you were charged this month.
    Could it be that everything changed in the April or that not all ATMs from the same company charge?
  • EveryWhere
    https://www.sevenbank.co.jp/intlcard/index2.html

No sign of charges. The other thing being that some are reporting being charged using VISA, but not with Mastercard. So not a uniform experience.

In addition to the above;
    but in the interest of avoiding fees make sure to only withdraw between 9am and 6pm (some machines allow 830am to 630pm) and never on weekends or public holidays since ATMs here charge “overtime” fees outside of those hours, even if the transaction would’ve normally been free.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/359796#comment-5615719
  • Hi, have recently opened a Starling account and am waiting to be allowed to open a Euro account with them.
    I have a debit card on the new account but wonder if the debit card will debit the euro account directly (allowing me to choose when to purchase euro's) or will it debit the sterling account using the exchange rate on the day?
    As an alternative, are there any credit cards available in the UK that transact only in euro's? I could set the direct debit up to debit the Starling euro account once opened to take advantage of exchange rates as I see fit.
    Many thanks
    Andy
  • Hi all

Having been unceremoniously dumped by Saga, I am now looking for a replacement travel card.

I plumped for the Barclaycard, but that proved to be useless because they need to see a regular income. I am retired and I just draw drown from my ISAs and SIPP on an irregular basis, and despite assets in six figures, that's not good enough for them, so that was that.

But I don't want to be making too many card applications ... so does anybody have any suggestions who to try next?

Cheers
  • EveryWhere
    Hi all

Having been unceremoniously dumped by Saga, I am now looking for a replacement travel card.

I plumped for the Barclaycard, but that proved to be useless because they need to see a regular income. I am retired and I just draw drown from my ISAs and SIPP on an irregular basis, and despite assets in six figures, that's not good enough for them, so that was that.

But I don't want to be making too many card applications ... so does anybody have any suggestions who to try next?

Cheers

Really? Not so sure about that.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport