contract exit rules

So i have been advised that i could give a months notice to end my mobile phone contract today. my plan is to switch to a no contract sim only plan. I was asvised i couldnt give a notice to end today when i rang them, as i am going to another network provider as its a better deal and i have to have the pac code. I have to wait another month to have this if i did it today it would cost me £35. just keeps you going on and on in the contract and now i have to go through this again in a month! they also kept asking me to take a contract out and i was an hour talking to them just to plan to end my 2 year contract ive had! just to much hassle to end the contract isnt it!

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Rfield wrote: »
    So i have been advised that i could give a months notice to end my mobile phone contract today. my plan is to switch to a no contract sim only plan. I was asvised i couldnt give a notice to end today when i rang them, as i am going to another network provider as its a better deal and i have to have the pac code. I have to wait another month to have this if i did it today it would cost me £35. just keeps you going on and on in the contract and now i have to go through this again in a month! they also kept asking me to take a contract out and i was an hour talking to them just to plan to end my 2 year contract ive had! just to much hassle to end the contract isnt it!

You have to give 30 days notice, it’ll be in the terms and conditions you agreed to.
    ====
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You can request your PAC today, but you still need to give 30 days on your existing contract. You can't give notice and request a PAC, one cancels out the other. Just get your PAC (which should be almost instant) and use it within 30 days.
    A SIM only plan is not contract free, are you referring to a PAYG SIM?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    The 2 year contract doesn't end, you just reach the end of the minimum term after 2 years, then it becomes a rolling monthly contract with a month's notice. If you just end it with the 30 days notice, you'll lose your number. To transfer your number, you need to get the PAC and use it within 30 days. If you don't use it, your old contract will continue until you get, and use a new PAC.
    It is a bit of a hassle - will your current provider not match the new deal?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    flashg67 wrote: »
    It is a bit of a hassle...

I've always been either PAYG or SIM only contract and have changed supplier multiple times (T-Mobile, Asda Mobile, O2, Giffgaff, Plusnet, Sky Mobile, Vodafone, I may even be missing someone) and have always got my PAC on first asking. It really couldn't be simpler.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Ask them to switch you to PAYG once min term reach.

Then you will have time to request PAC and sort out new contract.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I've always been either PAYG or SIM only contract and have changed supplier multiple times (T-Mobile, Asda Mobile, O2, Giffgaff, Plusnet, Sky Mobile, Vodafone, I may even be missing someone) and have always got my PAC on first asking. It really couldn't be simpler.
    Yes, you phone up to get the PAC code now, give it to the new provider, after about a week your existing service will end and your number will transfer, but you'll pay your existing contract for a month from the date you asked for the PAC.

The money saving trick is to ask for the PAC about 20 days before you want to transfer, to minimise the amount of service you lose while still giving you enough leeway if the PAC process is a bit slow.
  • d123
    Yes, you phone up to get the PAC code now, give it to the new provider, after about a week your existing service will end and your number will transfer.

Only if your week is one working day long...

PS

PAC stands for Porting Authorisation Code.
    ====
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    d123 wrote: »
    Only if your week is one working day long...
    Well, usually PAC transfers only take a day or two. But it's good to have a lot of padding in case you hit a snag - the cost of a week or so's contract is pretty low in comparison to the cost of losing your number.

d123 wrote: »
    PS

PAC stands for Porting Authorisation Code.
    If you carry on like that you'll definitely not be my BFF forever ;)
  • d123
    Well, usually PAC transfers only take a day or two. But it's good to have a lot of padding in case you hit a snag - the cost of a week or so's contract is pretty low in comparison to the cost of losing your number.

MNP has been set at 1 working day for a number of years now (cut off for the working day is 5pm).
    If you carry on like that you'll definitely not be my BFF forever ;)

;)
    ====
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family