Bus Pass Identification

2»

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Cordie wrote: »
    I can take my application and proof of age and residency to any Council Customer Care Office but my NI is on the actual form itself and it is this that is sent to the main Council Office for verification.

Unfortunately I know from previous experience with another council department that information leaks but it is not just a question of that I don't want this particular woman to know my business.

If you are that paranoid about giving them your NI number, don’t apply and just keep paying the standard fares.:D
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 April 2019 at 9:22AM
    Cordie wrote: »
    I can take my application and proof of age and residency to any Council Customer Care Office but my NI is on the actual form itself and it is this that is sent to the main Council Office for verification.

Unfortunately I know from previous experience with another council department that information leaks but it is not just a question of that I don't want this particular woman to know my business.

I think you are being a little paranoid. Having your NI number will not give "this woman" or anyone else access to your records held by any other government department.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Cordie
    Cordie Posts: 252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I do have the option of not applying for a bus pass I just thought that with the wide variety of experiences of people on this forum someone may have had knowledge of how identity documents are verified.

Sometimes it's nice to have your mind set at rest about something that is niggling at the back of your mind and this is a great place for that.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Most clerical jobs checking NI numbers are very standard jobs, where the individual is expected to manage at least X per hour & any shortfall is noted & commented on. They are also allocated pretty randomly so if your not-quite-neighbour is at a low admin level & is also allocated the job then you are unlucky.

If by word or deed she reveals she has done anything more than process your bus pass, then while you cannot take away what she has read from whatever files she can access, you can (& should) complain & she might be moved to even less interesting work or loose her job.

She may even say "I know this person" & be immediately routed to another task, as it isn't considered professional to allow her to continue on that particular case.

In all honesty it should not be an issue.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure